U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

5,952 posts, read 10,025,951 times

Advertisements

I went to college for 4 years in a somewhat urban city with a reputation of being not so safe and never had any incident against me.

I've also moved to a suburban city on the list of 100 Best Places to Live in 2011 with a household income almost twice the national average and witnessed 2 incidents within the first few months. One time, a neighbor had his window completely smashed in the morning (although I didn't see the perpetrator.) A few days later, I woke up to find someone trying to pick the lock to my apartment (called police but they arrived after that guy left.)

What are your experiences in urban vs. suburban living? Are the better urban neighborhoods any safer than the typical suburban neighborhood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM

4,595 posts, read 6,802,304 times
I live in a blue-collar neighborhood in the city of Youngstown--a city often maligned as one of the most dangerous cities in the country. (at least by the locals)

In the 9 years I've lived here, I have been the victim of a burglary. But, I have many family members--who live in the suburbs--who have also been victims of burglary, vehicle theft, or vandalism.

So, I'd call that equal. But, in the suburbs, you also have to spend additional time in the car to get around, which increases the risk of injury or death from a car accident. (I've seen a study that indicated that living in the city was safer than the burbs for this reason. But I have the link saved on my home computer, so can't provide the link.)

Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM

4,146 posts, read 6,292,875 times
The very definition of an upscale city neighborhood presupposes a relatively low crime rate or else it would lose its upscaleness quite quickly. Like in real estate, this is going to be a very local phenomenon, with vastly different and similar experiences within both described areas.

I will say that the denseness of a more urban environment tends to includes more "eyes on the street" at all times of the day and night which makes many opportunity crimes difficult, where suburbia often describes areas with very little visual or otherwise connection to the community at the street. Also urban folks tend to be a little more social, or at least used to living in close quarters which include more interactions with their neighbors and may take a little more hands-on approach to including the surrounding block or community as worth protecting as much as their house or apartment.

I know that I am very protective of my low-crime urban community and neighbors, but am sure there are many vigilant suburbanites out there as well- its just easier here because we are so close to the street to be aware to activities there.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM

8,280 posts, read 13,225,779 times
One of those "glad I moved downtown" moments happened in the mid-1990s, shortly after I moved downtown. I was visiting my folks, who live in a suburb, and stayed overnight. They were kind of concerned about my move downtown, regarding my safety and well-being: at the time, the neighborhood (where I still live) didn't have a very good reputation and was in worse shape. At about 2 AM, I was awakened by screeching tires, screams and gunshots--the neighborhood bar on a business street a couple of blocks away was closing for the night, and apparently some of the regulars were still very enthusiastic about their enjoyment. I was a bit more concerned for my parents' well-being in their neighborhood after that, and felt a lot better about my own!

Crime comes in many forms. The poor neighborhood may have a crack dealer walking on the street, while a rich neighborhood will have a cocaine dealer driving a Porsche down the street.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM

3,628 posts, read 8,693,615 times
I've lived in an urban environment for the past 4 years straight, and also for 4 years when I was in college. Now I live in downtown Cleveland! The horrors, right? I'm known for riding transit late at night and walking around at night. Nothing has happened to me - ever (knock on wood). It's all about your perception. If you walk like you know where you're going and don't flash your fancy things (like iphones), you should be fine anywhere, yes, even the inner city.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM

13,622 posts, read 17,008,546 times
In the suburbs our cars were broken into. In Uptown Houston my rims were stolen, car was broken into, and my license plate was stolen.

Why did you left that guy leave? I would have handled him myself. Cops are only good for tickets and directing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning