U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How does this city look?
Dangerous 9 21.43%
Unclean 16 38.10%
Vibrant 15 35.71%
Pedestrian-Friendly 18 42.86%
Poor 27 64.29%
Wealthy 2 4.76%
Trashy / Ghetto 15 35.71%
Clean 3 7.14%
Safe 4 9.52%
Convenient 17 40.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 PM

7,437 posts, read 7,623,253 times
Default Would you like to live in this city?

From the looks of it?

What do you think of it?

Cardenas, Tabasco, Mexico in HD - YouTube

I shot this video with my digital camera. It's also visible in high-definition if you click where it says "360p", go to "720p", and turn on full-screen mode. I think it's the epitome of (southern) Mexican cities, though I didn't get to record the plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM

7,336 posts, read 7,913,506 times
I like how open so many of the stores are to the street--for the most part there is no front wall, it's just open.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM

2,650 posts, read 2,088,735 times
It's kind of hard to tell through a video, but here's my be impression:

Vibrant - Lots of people walking the streets, lots of storefronts and great sidewalk space.
Pedestrian-Friendly - Well, the streets are vibrant because the city appears to be pedestrian-friendly, but also because there appears to be a nice spread of restaurants, markets, etc. There didn't appear to be much in the way of large, high-speed roads.
Poor - I can't say for sure, but the area seemed less than wealthy. I didn't look like an impoverished area, but it certainly didn't scream wealthy.
Convenient - It seems like a very convenient environment, given the number of markets and a walkable environment. However, it's hard to know without getting an idea of where people live, work and access amenities.

I couldn't answer you on clean, as there were areas where some trash was in the streets, and others that seemed quite clean. To answer your question about living there, I wouldn't rule it out. However, I'd have to know more about the city other than just a video (in terms of jobs, crime, culture, etc.). I'm not sure you can achieve what you want in this thread, other than to get a pretty superficial impression from a handful of people (like me).

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM

861 posts, read 200,300 times
Nope, it looks smelly and the pedestrians don't look all that friendly

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,428,680 times
There are a few things going for it as some mentioned, but there are some disadvantages I noticed:

-Most of the space between buildings on opposite sides of the street is dedicated to cars
-Most of the windows of apartments on top of stores are barred, suggesting theft is common and it doesn't look as attractive
-Lots of delivery/storage bays with ugly doors

Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 PM

7,437 posts, read 7,623,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
There are a few things going for it as some mentioned, but there are some disadvantages I noticed:

-Most of the space between buildings on opposite sides of the street is dedicated to cars
-Most of the windows of apartments on top of stores are barred, suggesting theft is common and it doesn't look as attractive
-Lots of delivery/storage bays with ugly doors
I should have filmed the more residential areas (though even these have businesses, often informal) too, but pretty much every dwelling in this city, heck Mexico and even most of Latin America is "behind bars" in the sense that everything is protected behind at least one set of bars (usually a porton - which usually leads to a carport space - in the more elaborate residences). And yes, this is done to prevent theft.

Many of the utility bays are (probably) actually closed storefronts. This video was taken some time around 6 p.m. If it was before dawn, almost the whole drive would be like that. The open storefronts need some method of closing...otherwise they would all have to be open 24/7 (or they would soon lose all their goods...which I think would apply basically anywhere).

As for the spaces being dedicated to cars, well, it goes to show that at least a significant percentage of residents are wealthy enough to own cars.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM

14,359 posts, read 7,853,330 times
Poor, ugly, unclean.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM

185 posts, read 212,596 times
This is the typical scene in almost all Latin-American Neighborhoods in towns and cities. Gritty doesn't always mean dangerous and ghetto. Definitely a working class neighborhood.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 1,950,147 times
No, it looks depressing there.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,361,860 times
It looks like Mexico to me. You know, you can get on Google Street View and see almost the whole country now...

Anways, the prettiest places (even in Mexico) are the places where people have lots of money and invest it in their homes/neighborhoods. I wouldn't mind living in the Districto Federal of Mexico City or San Pedro in Monterrey; those neighborhoods are every bit as nice as any SoCal neighborhood to my eyes. Unfortunately, we can't all be rich though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning