Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,917 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am from the Vienna University of Business and Economics and am currently doing a research on Smart City Trends. The aim if the project is to develop innovative solutions that will be able to solve some of the Mega City problems.

Would be great if you could share your opinion on air and water pollution, urban transportation inefficiency, unsafety on roads, traffic congestion, commuting, etc. Do you see any sustainable solutions for solving these and other problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasija88 View Post
Do you see any sustainable solutions for solving these and other problems?
Have fewer people overall and ideally with an optimized demographic mix.
A similar approach (fostering efforts to have fewer people) applies to most smaller cities
and many larger towns as well.

hth

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
So...the solution to high population cities is to lower the population? What methods would you recommend to facilitate that process?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So...the solution to high population cities is to lower the population?
As requested... "the solution to air and water pollution, urban transportation inefficiency, road safety, traffic congestion, commuting, etc" is fewer people to need and create demand on those facilities and amenities and so forth. Yes.

Point being that you can't build yourself out of the problem.
Over building *is* the problem.

Quote:
What methods would you recommend to facilitate that process?
That is a different discussion.
It doesn't have to be Draconian though (as I suspect you're Q is leaning to).

What (non-draconian) approaches can YOU think of?

Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM

I really can't thnk of any. Although I would argue that many midwestern and Rust Belt cities have experienced dramatic population declines (Detroit has lost about 40% of its population since 1950) and they don't really appear to be flourishing. Meanwhile, a lot of western cities are growing, and while things are a bit rough these days, they are in better shape than the shrinking cities of the midwest.

And why is "over building" the problem?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, a lot of western cities are growing, and while things are a bit rough these days, they are in better shape than the shrinking cities of the midwest.
You say that as though this vague comparison has any bearing on anything.

Quote:
And why is "over building" the problem?
Overbuilding encourages more and more warm bodies to gravitate to that usually fixed or at least limited geographic area. People of all ages arrive and impose ever more demand on the limited resources than are available to meet this demand (in that usually fixed geographic area).

This pressure on limited resources is the #1 issue with most of the western cities and it applies to everything from potable water to roadway and transit capacity. Building more bedrooms and offices in that environment doesn't help anyone.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You say that as though this vague comparison has any bearing on anything.
It's an example of cities with a drop in population. If you claim that reducing urban populations will solve urban problems, cities with declining populations should be doing better than those that are growing. Of course, those cities lost population via decades of land use policy aimed at promoting suburban growth and allowing cities to decay, so maybe that's pushing the threshold of "draconian." Although I'd consider that less "draconian" than the more obvious ways to depopulat cities.
Quote:
Overbuilding encourages more and more warm bodies to gravitate to that usually fixed or at least limited geographic area. People of all ages arrive and impose ever more demand on the limited resources than are available to meet this demand (in that usually fixed geographic area).

This pressure on limited resources is the #1 issue with most of the western cities and it applies to everything from potable water to roadway and transit capacity. Building more bedrooms and offices in that environment doesn't help anyone.
So building ahead of demand promotes population growth?

I admit, I'm stumped to think of any non-draconian ways to reduce large city populations. Do you have any specific suggestions on how that should be accomplished?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
Our society seems awfully wasteful to be suffering from such limited resources.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
If you claim that reducing urban populations will solve urban problems, cities with declining populations should be doing better than those that are growing.
I never said any such thing.
But if I had said something so specific it would be that 500,000 people will have less demand on the infrastructure than 600,000 will; let along 950,000. That finding the "sweet spot" of an optimized demographic mix should be the goal.

As to solving "urban problems"... one can only hope but that is still far more about the productivity at the individual level than the raw number of individuals. But there are some parallels.

Quote:
Do you have any specific suggestions on how that should be accomplished?
Citing just the limited examples we've explored in this thread...
how about moving people from the over burdened west to those mid west cities with excess capacity.
That's simple enough... isn't it?

Quote:
I admit, I'm stumped to think of any non-draconian ways to reduce large city populations.
You're limiting your thinking to methods that might achieve it rapidly.

Granted we have a 40 year backlog of work to catch up with but it's still doable going forward.
The main thing is not encourage more of the same approaches of encouraging physical growth.
Of infrastructure or of population.

We can have abundance with less than is wasted and pushing scarcity.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning