Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
...so, in other words, you think discrimination based on race is just fine and dandy,
as long as the people being discriminated against are a high credit risk?
"in other words" Ha!
aka: "Look out folks! We have a straw man coming down the line."...

Just in case you really don't understand the fine points:
The issue is the economic & financial capacity to afford X. Nothing more.

How that may or may not correlate with other social factors is immaterial.
That it often does correlate... is not an argument for a causal relationship.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
...so, in other words, you think discrimination based on race is just fine and dandy, as long as the people being discriminated against are a high credit risk?
No. I think it's fine to discriminate based on high credit risk. If that happens correlate with some protected class that's fine as well. That isn't racist. What would be racist is saying you can't redline because it would have a more pronounced effect on a protected class.

There's nothing inherently racist about redlining which isn't to say racism wasn't a factor. It's devilishly hard to prove that redlining was a product of discriminating against a protected class and not legitimate and desirable discrimination.

The correlation-causation dilema is no doubt an important one, but I would take it a step further. Just because blacks have a higher credit risk than whites isn't the bank's problem. The bank isn't out there to correct societal ills. As long as those discrepancies exist, for whatever reason they exist, discriminating by credit risk will always have a more pronounced impact on minorities. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with banks doing that.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Which is a lovely way to justify creating a permanent underclass based on race. But oh no, it isn't based on actual antipathy or dislike--it's just a matter of property value. that makes it so much better. Institutional racism isn't any nicer than the crosses-and-hoods kind if the end result is the same.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM

The neighborhood a mile away with higher property values is more racially diverse than my neighborhood is.

While I agree institutional racism is ugly, the banks are not responsible for the institutional racism of anything other than themselves. They are a private enterprise out to make a profit. They are not some affirmative action mechanism with an egalitarian agenda out to level the playing field. You have a variety of governmental agencies and NGOs that exist to do that. Bank of America does not.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keopera91 View Post
Is living in suburbia the "American Dream"? Guess so since the majority of us are living in one. Why do we prefer to live in rows of life-sized doll houses?...

Well, I think suburbia is an awful place to live. I grew up in one and you'd have to be stupid not to think that the living arrangement of suburbia is wasteful, polluting to the environment, and unsustainable. Future generations will look back on the mess we've created and think "Wtf were they thinking?!" The U.S. of A. is falling quick and our current living arrangement takes into account of that. I don't understand how we can just sit back and watch the rest of the world move forward. This is the 21st century. America deserves better than this! Suburbia should not be and is not the American Dream. We'd have to be asleep to believe it unless we change our habits.
Yea sure. Move everybody presently in the burbs to urban areas. Those cities would be eco-disasters on par with those in Soylent Green.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Everybody in the 'burbs are in urban areas. Just kidding, I know what you're saying -- just jibing the anti-suburb crowd with the fact suburbs are urban areas.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
...with the fact suburbs are urban areas.
huh?
Maybe someone does need to create a forum specific glossary of terms afterall.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
huh?
Maybe someone does need to create a forum specific glossary of terms afterall.
That does seem to be a recurring problem on this forum. For myself, "suburban" denotes a specific style of built environment. For others, "suburban" is anything that is not rural, and outside the boundaries of a central city.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 PM

LMGTFY

urban area

Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Actually, I was thinking about standing on a soapbox in the market square and rallying the "troops" with quotes from Karl Marx about the dangers of urbanism...you know, just doing my government's bidding.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning