U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM
 
6,931 posts, read 8,295,534 times
Reputation: 3050

Advertisements

Were there plans to implement street cars in suburbia during the expansion of the suburbs in mid 20th century? Are there any suburbs that have access to rail now? Are there plans to implement them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
 
Location: The City
22,375 posts, read 32,945,798 times
Reputation: 7799
Yes many burbs have rail very well integrated.

DC is rapidly expanding many rail forms as we speak.

Boston/NYC/Philly/Chicago/SF all have numerous rail options in their burbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
 
6,931 posts, read 8,295,534 times
Reputation: 3050
You sure they are not only on the outskirts of the burbs? I don't think they are integrated in suburbs as you would like to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,749 posts, read 105,157,060 times
Reputation: 34214
The Denver Regional Transit District is building a light rail system. Parts of it are already operational, from the southern suburbs into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM
 
8,333 posts, read 14,857,992 times
Reputation: 4066
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Were there plans to implement street cars in suburbia during the expansion of the suburbs in mid 20th century? Are there any suburbs that have access to rail now? Are there plans to implement them?
No, streetcars were pretty much anathema to suburban developers of the mid-20th century. They were an integral part of early 20th century suburbs, but in the post-WWII era, streetcars were strictly old-hat. Streetcars were so loathed that it wasn't until the 1970s and 80s that some cities started to reintroduce them, and they had to rename them "Light Rail Vehicles" lest they be accused of trying to bring back those antiquated streetcars.

Plenty of suburbs have rail access via streetcar, light rail or heavy rail. Often these are the same suburbs that had rail access via streetcar, interurban or steam railroads in the early 20th century. But it's very hard to retrofit fixed-rail transit onto mid/late 20th century auto suburbs due to dramatic differences in density, street design and neighborhood planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 PM
 
1,568 posts, read 1,339,936 times
Reputation: 414
Don't drink the light rail Kool Aid!

The first thing they do is set up a regional transit authority, i.e., sock the suburbs with higher taxes based on their higher property values, since urban areas are too broke to pay for them.

Then come the criminals riding the train right out to your town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,749 posts, read 105,157,060 times
Reputation: 34214
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You sure they are not only on the outskirts of the burbs? I don't think they are integrated in suburbs as you would like to think.
The Chicago Metra and the DC Metro are very integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
2,646 posts, read 3,867,358 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
No, streetcars were pretty much anathema to suburban developers of the mid-20th century. They were an integral part of early 20th century suburbs, but in the post-WWII era, streetcars were strictly old-hat. Streetcars were so loathed that it wasn't until the 1970s and 80s that some cities started to reintroduce them, and they had to rename them "Light Rail Vehicles" lest they be accused of trying to bring back those antiquated streetcars.

Plenty of suburbs have rail access via streetcar, light rail or heavy rail. Often these are the same suburbs that had rail access via streetcar, interurban or steam railroads in the early 20th century. But it's very hard to retrofit fixed-rail transit onto mid/late 20th century auto suburbs due to dramatic differences in density, street design and neighborhood planning.
Not even commuter rail? Toronto's commuter rail network is a thing of the post-WWII era at least. The rail lines mostly existed pre-WWII but weren't used as commuter rail back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,749 posts, read 105,157,060 times
Reputation: 34214
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Not even commuter rail? Toronto's commuter rail network is a thing of the post-WWII era at least. The rail lines mostly existed pre-WWII but weren't used as commuter rail back then.
Chicago has had rail transit to the burbs continuously for many years. I can remember going to pick up my father-in-law at the train in a Chicago 'burb in 1971.

The "El" has also served the burbs for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
 
8,333 posts, read 14,857,992 times
Reputation: 4066
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Not even commuter rail? Toronto's commuter rail network is a thing of the post-WWII era at least. The rail lines mostly existed pre-WWII but weren't used as commuter rail back then.
Not really, no: there were a few exceptions, but generally they were in cities that already had interurban or commuter rail service (BART in the Bay Area ran largely where Sacramento Northern, Key System and Southern Pacific interurbans already ran, sometimes even using the same right-of-way.)

Canadian urban development is very different from American urban development. Despite our cultural similarities, it's a very different ballgame down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top