Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who says "everyone" has to drive? Most people in the burbs live within a mile or so of a grocery store, and many live much closer. This is certainly walkable. Most grocery stores these days are located in litle mini-malls with a drug store, a dry cleaner, hairdressers, small restaurants, and the like.
Most people in the burbs live within a mile? That wasn't my experience. A mile is a bit long unless you have lots of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most people in the burbs live within a mile? That wasn't my experience. A mile is a bit long unless you have lots of time.
Jeez, haven't we been over THIS before? I don't know what it's like out there on Long Island, where you grew up, or in W. Mass. where you live now. I can tell you that here in metro Denver, most people live fairly close (you'll note I said some are much closer than a mile) to a grocery store. I even did a poll on the Denver forum, years ago, before this UP forum existed. Some guy (since banned, BTW) kept spouting the same stuff as some people do here, about suburbanites driving 10 miles to buy a carton of milk. I forget the exact results, but VERY FEW lived more than a few miles from a store.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
As far as commuting to work, that is not something I was responding to. Always moving the goalposts, burg!
Commuting doesn't count as getting basic stuff done?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Jeez, haven't we been over THIS before? I don't know what it's like out there on Long Island, where you grew up, or in W. Mass. where you live now.
Right where I live I have a lot of stores within a 10 minute walk, and it doesn't save much time to drive with lights and driving. Some parts of Long Island have lots of stores in a short walking distances. Others do not. How about a test if your neighborhood is walkable... would you find it easy to get errands done if you errands done if you had no car? I would where I am. It might take a little more time, but it wouldn't be horribly inconvenient.

You said "most suburbs" nothing specifically about Denver.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Right where I live I have a lot of stores within a 10 minute walk, and it doesn't save much time to drive with lights and driving. Some parts of Long Island have lots of stores in a short walking distances. Others do not. How about a test if your neighborhood is walkable... would you find it easy to get errands done if you errands done if you had no car? I would where I am. It might take a little more time, but it wouldn't be horribly inconvenient.

You said "most suburbs" nothing specifically about Denver.
Well, you have verified that many suburbs anyway have stores, etc, within walking distance. This has been my experience in several cities.

Regarding the commuting, I guess it is included in "getting things done", but you can't always be so picky about a job. Who would turn down a job in today's economy b/c it wasn't on the public transit line? My spouse's office just moved. Was he supposed to quit his job b/c it's farther away and probably not on the bus line? (There are days he'd like to quit, but that's a differenit story!) The medical campus where I work recently had its bus line discontinued for lack of ridership. The only option would be the "Call and Ride", but I have a paid for car, and my hours are quite irregular in that we never know when we'll be done until we're done.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
Which is kind of the point of walkable mixed-use communities: in those communities, more workplaces (as well as residences and grocery stores) can be reached via transit or on foot.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,920,771 times
Quote:
Well, you have verified that many suburbs anyway have stores, etc, within walking distance. This has been my experience in several cities.

Regarding the commuting, I guess it is included in "getting things done", but you can't always be so picky about a job. Who would turn down a job in today's economy b/c it wasn't on the public transit line? My spouse's office just moved. Was he supposed to quit his job b/c it's farther away and probably not on the bus line? (There are days he'd like to quit, but that's a differenit story!) The medical campus where I work recently had its bus line discontinued for lack of ridership. The only option would be the "Call and Ride", but I have a paid for car, and my hours are quite irregular in that we never know when we'll be done until we're done.
See, my thought is, who would sign up to make car payments and spend money on gas in today's economy?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Which is kind of the point of walkable mixed-use communities: in those communities, more workplaces (as well as residences and grocery stores) can be reached via transit or on foot.
What difference does it make what kind of a community you live in if you can take transit to work?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
See, my thought is, who would sign up to make car payments and spend money on gas in today's economy?
Most people already have a car. Are you seriously going to turn down a job in this economy? Is it preferable to stand up for your "principles" and live on UI?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:08 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
Quote:
What difference does it make what kind of a community you live in if you can take transit to work?
Because a shorter transit trip takes less time than a longer transit trip, and a denser, mixed-use environment with more employers per square mile means more options for employment within a short radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning