Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 669 times

Advertisements

Some of you do not like round about,I have used some in England ,a lot in France and Italy they are the best and safest.Built them here and fast.The few which are against have not seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,736,042 times
The sentiment in this thread that "Americans can't handle them" is somewhat absurd. What, we can't learn? Are the Europeans somehow DNA coded to get roundabouts? Surely no one is conceding here they're just better drivers in Europe.

Roundabouts are one of the few things that benefit nearly all roadway users. They have the benefits of being both better at relieving congestion and safer for pedestrians and motorists alike. Other than a bizarre predilection against anything from across the pond and resistance to change there is no good reason to oppose these.

However, they aren't cheap as mentioned above. They need to be well designed (by engineers who know what they are doing) to work. Unfortunately a large percentage of existing traffic circles America were designed by traffic engineers and city departments with little to no experience and have resulted in bad circles adding to the perception they are inherently dangerous and confusing.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,965,878 times
Less conflict points, more efficient, faster*, safer, and more aesthetically pleasing. What's not to like? The U.S. should build a lot more of them, until the entire country is blanketed with roundabouts . As for American drivers being aggressive, I've found that although there can be troubles initially, Americans get used to them pretty quickly, and the same skills cross over to additional roundabouts that are built in the same area.

*It may seem slow, but it's much faster than being stopped for 3 minutes. Since you go at any time there's a sufficient gap in traffic, maximum traffic flow is achieved, and average trip times are typically shorter than the same road with traffic lights. On most roundabouts, most of the time you don't even need to come to a complete stop. Incidentally, this is how roundabouts increase fuel efficiency, by minimizing stopping and variation in speed. A steady 25 will yield a faster average speed than 0 to 40 to 0 will.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM

2,552 posts, read 2,448,617 times
My 2 cents:

Americans don't like the idea because it is an alien concept that requires faith in other drivers as no one party is in control of the situation. With a traffic light, a driver only goes when he or she has a green light, meanwhile everyone else is stopped; we're relying on the authority of the traffic signal to give us permission to travel. We've come to rely on the almighty traffic signal to keep us safe, so the idea of giving up that shelter in situations we perceive to be dangerous is frightening.

If this reads as hyperbolic, think of how people would bemoan the danger of an unsignalized intersection between two major avenues.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
My 2 cents:

Americans don't like the idea because it is an alien concept that requires faith in other drivers as no one party is in control of the situation. With a traffic light, a driver only goes when he or she has a green light, meanwhile everyone else is stopped; we're relying on the authority of the traffic signal to give us permission to travel. We've come to rely on the almighty traffic signal to keep us safe, so the idea of giving up that shelter in situations we perceive to be dangerous is frightening.

If this reads as hyperbolic, think of how people would bemoan the danger of an unsignalized intersection between two major avenues.
They'll get over it. It's not that hard, and as a matter of fact, the uncertainty is precisely what makes it safe. People slow down and pay attention. Speed goes down, reaction time goes up, comfort levels of pedestrians increases, traffic flows. Everyone wins. The safety is without question. The efficiency is without question. The only thing in question is the perception that somehow Americans are incapable of learning a new trick.

But Americans are nothing if not adaptable. They'll adjust, figure it out, get over their resentment of all things European and learn to appreciate the fact that we can learn from other places just as they learn from us.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 PM

799 posts, read 1,028,740 times
I don't think Americans dislike roundabouts because they are European. It's more a case that we just aren't used to them and haven't been prepared to encounter them. In Texas, Driver's Ed classes do not teach student drivers how to enter, move through, and exit roundabouts. And this online Driver's Ed course I took was offered by a company in California, so I am guessing that most Driver's Ed classes do not teach students how to travel through roundabouts. It's also pretty rare to run into a roundabout, and in most cases, you can avoid it if it's too strenuous to figure out. But if the states and cities decide that roundabouts are the way to go, then Driver's Ed classes simply need to incorporate "roundabout training" into their lessons, and the DMV needs to reserve a portion of the exam for a "roundabout test."

Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,099,164 times
I'm an American living permanently in Europe now, and I LOVE roundabouts. In the time I have lived in my present town the city govt has replaced almost every crossroads with one. Terrific improve in traffic.

In 2009 I visited the U.S. and was in Santa Fe. I was dropped off by the bus at a place where several roads crossed and which had a major shopping center on each side of the main highway. The forest of traffic lights and signs hanging overhead and on poles was totally terrifying. As a pedestrian I had no idea what to do as when the light was signalling me to cross traffic was rushing across the crosswalk a tremendous speeds. There were cars trying to turn here and there, blasting horns....chaos. It was clear that many people in cars had no idea who had the right of way, or when they were supposed to turn, or if.

Roundabouts forever!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM

44,273 posts, read 19,931,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I don't think Americans dislike roundabouts because they are European. It's more a case that we just aren't used to them and haven't been prepared to encounter them. In Texas, Driver's Ed classes do not teach student drivers how to enter, move through, and exit roundabouts. And this online Driver's Ed course I took was offered by a company in California, so I am guessing that most Driver's Ed classes do not teach students how to travel through roundabouts. It's also pretty rare to run into a roundabout, and in most cases, you can avoid it if it's too strenuous to figure out. But if the states and cities decide that roundabouts are the way to go, then Driver's Ed classes simply need to incorporate "roundabout training" into their lessons, and the DMV needs to reserve a portion of the exam for a "roundabout test."
My town built its first roundabout several years ago. I think it's ingenious and it has greatly improved the flow of traffic. About a year and a half ago, our second roundabout was completed. Construction is now in progress on a large one at a very busy 5-way intersection.

Sadly, many people in my town only complain about the roundabouts. They were complaining before the first one was completed, and they'll continue to complain for lord knows how long. Statistics have revealed that there has been a significant decrease in serious accidents since the two roundabouts opened. Yet people still complain. I think they are just intimidated because it is something "new," although that doesn't explain why the whining continues. I think that many people avoid using the roundabouts and therefore don't get experience in using them, and when they find themselves having to use one, they panic.

I find most roundabouts pure genius and quite easy to navigate. In the location where our first one was built, traffic was often hopelessly backed up in all directions. Now, it just moves right through. Rarely do I have to stop, even during the busiest rush hour.

People just need to lighten up and learn how to use roundabouts.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning