Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,195,778 times

Advertisements

Town keeps Walmart out, opens own store - CBS News Video

Quote:
When the residents of Saranac Lake, NY were faced with having a Super Wal-Mart put in, some 600 residents came together to open their own department store
Read more: Town keeps Walmart out, opens own store - CBS News Video"

The story is great--about a small town that said "no" to Wal-Mart and formed a co-op instead. The story mentions that the nearest comparable department store was 50 miles away!

But it's more than just that. Look at the streets of the small town shown in the news clip (and the linked image.) The buildings go up to the curb, with sidewalks, and relatively narrow streets. The buildings are 2-3 stories tall, and I'd wager that at least some of those upper-story areas are apartments. When I talk about "walkable neighborhoods," this is exactly what I'm talking about. And the business model of their co-op, local businesspeople serving the local community, using existing walk-up storefronts instead of a big box, scales very well--a "small-box retail" model that works as well in small towns as it does in big cities. It's also based on community in other ways: instead of the store owner being a faceless corporation half a continent away, it's your neighbor. And again, that works as well in small towns as big cities. No skyscrapers required.
[/LEFT]
Attached Thumbnails
Town keeps Walmart out, opens own store-saranac.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,177,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The story is great--about a small town that said "no" to Wal-Mart and formed a co-op instead. The story mentions that the nearest comparable department store was 50 miles away!

But it's more than just that. Look at the streets of the small town shown in the news clip (and the linked image.) The buildings go up to the curb, with sidewalks, and relatively narrow streets. The buildings are 2-3 stories tall, and I'd wager that at least some of those upper-story areas are apartments.
Yea I saw that. Sounded really interesting. But Saranac Lake might not be a very typical town. It's in the middle of nowhere; deep in the Adirondacks and is mostly a tourist / resort town. It's also one of the colder places in the country. The California equivalent might be a place by Lake Tahoe?

Much of my town is similar to that photo but with a much wider main street (though a lot of the side streets are narrow) and some slightly taller buildings. I was a bit disappointed that towns like that aren't common in the western US.

Come to think of it, I might be the only regular poster on this forum who doesn't live inside a metro area. Anyone else here?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,195,778 times
There are a lot of small towns like this in California. One where I lived, the Arcata/Eureka area in Humboldt County, also kept out a Wal-Mart. That was the first place where I learned the value of walkable communities--both cities combined were lower in population than the suburb where I grew up, but they were walkable and compact due to having been built as self-contained small towns. Transit wasn't superb (a local bus system for each city, and a county-wide system) but it was better than where I grew up (where one bus line with a stop more than a mile from my house was the only way downtown or to the mall 5 miles away.)

There are a lot of tourist-economy/resort towns in both sets of California mountains, with downtowns that, physically, don't look that different than Saranac Lake. Valley towns tend to be a little flatter, but their downtowns still feature those 2-3 story buildings that usually had apartments upstairs. When I was vacationing in Wisconsin this fall, we stayed in a small town of 3000 people. Downtown, there were 2-3 story buildings with apartments upstairs--although they were mostly either vacant or dedicated entirely to the tourist/hunting trade, all shuttered over the past decade since a Wal-Mart came to town 10 miles away and siphoned off their business.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There are a lot of small towns like this in California. One where I lived, the Arcata/Eureka area in Humboldt County, also kept out a Wal-Mart.
Whoops forgot about Arcata and Eureka. I've seen both. I really liked Arcata, didn't spent as much time in Eureka. Arcata reminded of some compact college towns back home; walkable and compact but with a distinctly Western culture, architecture and layout.

Perhaps I didn't get a great sample of towns in the West. A lot of them seemed to have a very small old town center while much of the development was in ugly strips outside of the center. The Oregon Coast towns (though there were a few nice ones) were the worst offenders. The main street didn't even pass through the old section in most towns; the old section was a small touristy section off to the side.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:06 PM

18,837 posts, read 14,024,084 times
If people don't mind paying more for less, let 'em. Wal-Mart is not their enemy.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:53 PM

546 posts, read 1,171,414 times
I am glad there are some small towns that are trying to keep Wal-Mart out. Besides those types of towns are great, I really wish more Americans love building new places to live like that rather than suburbs and that would have been far most sustainable by taking up much less land but still give people many of the "qualities" people wanted in suburbs including closeness of nature and no need for unsightly modernist skyscrapers. I wish that more cities and towns across America and the world had the inner strength and insight to deny Walmart entry into their town, I know that New York City now catered to Walmart and they're going to build it and have horrific effects on their small businesses and lives, just like how Chicago allowed Walmart to enter and over 80 small businesses shut down because of it.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,577,961 times
Saranac Lake is a cool town, been there many times. Lived in Lake Placid for awhile and that entire area of NY is gorgeous.

Walmart doesn't need to be in every town and city in the country like McD's. Seems like no matter where you go all places look the same now. Same stores, same everything.

Uniqueness is a thing of the past. Sad.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
So are the workers at this co-op paid a "living wage"? Do they have health insurance, 401K, etc? Is the merchandise all manufactured in the US?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So are the workers at this co-op paid a "living wage"? Do they have health insurance, 401K, etc? Is the merchandise all manufactured in the US?
Yes to all but the last.

The store’s three employees are paid a modest salary, but one that is above average for the area, and receive health benefits and paid sick days

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/bu...pagewanted=all

Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes to all but the last.

The store’s three employees are paid a modest salary, but one that is above average for the area, and receive health benefits and paid sick days

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/bu...pagewanted=all
Good deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning