U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,722,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydreamer View Post
it's pretty simple: When you are single or married with a very young child, the city may be ideal. When you have a larger family with older children, the nearby suburbs become more ideal.
b-i-n-g-o!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,722,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not sure if other people see it this way but to me, there's little difference between cookie-cutter-ness of suburban houses, malls, big-box stores and the cookie-cutter-ness of communist housing:

VS:
Okay....but if you put trees in those subdivisions in the picture above and coner stores, how is that NOT a "mostly-urban" environment? Most U.S. citie CENTERS don't have residential SFH density that tight (looks like 1/16 acre lots)!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,029,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When people in 'city' data talk about talk about their city's metro population, remember that those "suburb lovers" make up the majority.
I'm not quite sure if that is true for people on this site though. Yes, most people live in the suburbs. But I'm pretty sure most people on here probably live in the actual city. At least a lot of the nyc/chicago/la/sf/philly/seattle/houston posters do.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:36 PM

5,068 posts, read 1,890,814 times
Why do so much people hate on the Suburbs??

I have been in the suburbs since I was 21 and I love it. I would never move back to a city.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 721,442 times
People need to complain about something. Internet chat rooms provide folks with a forum to do that. The people who "hate" on the suburbs or the people who "hate" on the city, would never say it to your face in public...so C-D was created!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 PM

351 posts, read 208,992 times
i like dence areas in the suburbs

Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 AM

5,904 posts, read 4,324,052 times
To each their own. Personally I loathe city life. Been there done that and won't go down that road again. But I understand there are those that love it. So live and let live. Like city life? Stay there. Like your burbs away from the city? Have at it. Like the country or mountains (my fave), leave it all for me

Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 AM

7,684 posts, read 7,395,189 times
I think a lot of people living in the "big city" simply can't understand that many people don't need to have everything within a few blocks away. And that the hustle-n-bustle of traffic is not exactly a soothing effect.

Sure, there are cookie-cutter subdivisions in many 'burbs, but why is the concept of apartment living where you need to use an elevator to reach your dwelling more appealing? When I was in my 20's I would have loved living in a big city, content with my apartment, and enjoying everything within my fingertips. Since then I've discovered that I like a good back yard and picked up gardening. I like having my peace and being close enough to the city to go for certain needs and entertainment.

Portlanders tend to cast negativity towards the burbs, too. But what makes me laugh about this, is that Portland's downtown city life is quite small. Most of Portland is across the river and sprawled out and so the neighborhoods are a bunch of suburbs as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,982,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I really like most inner suburbs that are pretty close to the city but I really hate the suburbs that are 25-40 miles away that kind of recently boomed in the last 10-20 years.
Populations increase. You have to have a place for those people to live. How do you think population centers established themselves and grew in the first place: populations naturally increased. With growth in the population came a growth in the population centers. This is not hard to figure out.

Quote:
To me the far out suburbs cry out consumption,
Most people in the far-out suburbs do not commute to the center city, but rather another suburb. How is this "consumption" any different from those in closer-in suburbs traveling to the center city, or those in the central city traveling to the suburbs for work?

What exactly are they consuming more of? City lots in many cities are just as large as lots in the far out suburbs. In places like Atlanta, the average lot size in the inner suburbs is larger than it is in the outer suburbs. Lot sizes in leafy posh, "inner city" areas are the biggest all. Generally these have mansions located on them.

Quote:
waste
What is being wasted? As stated, lot sizes are generally smaller, most commute to other suburbs, and the style of living is similar to those who live in the inner suburbs, by and large.

Quote:
materialism
Seriously? City dwellers are the most materialistic of all, if vehicle types, clothing, and price they're willing to pay says anything.

Most people living in the outer-suburbs are down-to-earth people, where the men are men and the women are women. A place where people aren't afraid to wear clothing from Wal-Mart, and where being a mangina (feminized male) is not the norm. However, image consciousness is at an extreme high in the inner city, at least according to what I see.

Quote:
fear of everything
Fear of everything? How do you assume such? Since the population has to live somewhere, many newcomers to the region settle where there is room and new housing, as well as good quality schools. This happens to exist in the outer suburbs. Would you recommend people sending their children to a poor, inner-city school?

Quote:
and newer religions that teach more Evangelistic ways of life.
Oh, now you equate evangelical Christianity with a "newer religion", despite the fact that being an evangelical equates with the way the Bible confirms that people should be, as Christ commands people to tell others about Him and his redeeming salvation. That's part of Christianity. It's not a new religion.

Quote:
These far out burbs just seem like an empty wasteland of strip malls and cookie cutter homes with plenty of new churches sprinkled in.
Most homes are not cookie-cutter, though you do see a fair number of them. What's wrong with new churches? As the population grows, you need places for people to worship? Do you have something against churches, in general? That said, most new churches meet in places like office parks, shopping centers, schools, or movie theaters. They do this until they have a large enough congregation that will allow them to build their own building. As far as shopping centers go, would you prefer that every person walk to the Target or whatever store they want to shop at? That wouldn't be feasible, as most areas can't support multiple stores, where people would be close enough to walk at. The only other solution is for very small, independent stores within neighborhoods, with each specializing in one thing the other doesn't have, or each containing a limited selection. That said, I don't see that happening.

If you don't like the suburbs, don't live in them.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM

5,068 posts, read 1,890,814 times
To each his/her own.
Give me the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning