Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
To each their own. You don't have to have a front lawn if you don't want one, but it's stupid to call people who do stupid.

I take advantage of my front lawn almost every day, and it's quite lovely, with just the right balance between grass, shrubs, trees, and flowers. But I won't bother inviting you over to enjoy it, since you think it's stupid.

Oh, and I've never used a chemical on my lawn in my life.
I thought you've said your lawn isn't big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
I meant big front lawns. It's true they can be used for gardening, which is fine. And there are areas in which people still sit out on their front porches and enjoy the neighbourhood---but that tends to be in older urban areas or in poorer neighborhoods.

But you rarely see most people in typical surburbia spending time on their front lawns. So they're really dead spaces, used to distance your house from the road I guess. Actually I would love to know the history of the front lawn, in parts of Europe the houses are set right by the road.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's wrong with that phrase?
Well it doesnt matter if trees and grass are in a state park or a subdivision, its still nature lol

This doesn't look fake to me, but idk i guess they could have artificial turn and fake plastic trees

Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well it doesnt matter if trees and grass are in a state park or a subdivision, its still nature lol

This doesn't look fake to me, but idk i guess they could have artificial turn and fake plastic trees
Umm a lawn is not nature in the slightest. Stop maintaining and it will quickly become overgrown (although I find unmaintained fields more interesting than large lawns anyway). A lawn is rather useless as wildlife habitat, and it's a monoculture — no species diversity. If people think they have nature in a lawn, they're wrong — they've gotten fake nature instead. An attempt to place order on the natural world.

I don't think I would consider those lawns in the Florida view "large" either, although the poster who used that phrase didn't define "large".

Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So they're really dead spaces, used to distance your house from the road I guess. Actually I would love to know the history of the front lawn, in parts of Europe the houses are set right by the road.
There are some in the US as well. See the photos I posted on the previous page (although those have some distance from the road.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Umm a lawn is not nature in the slightest. Stop maintaining and it will quickly become overgrown (although I find unmaintained fields more interesting than large lawns anyway). A lawn is rather useless as wildlife habitat, and it's a monoculture — no species diversity.
Tell that to the chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and cats which call my yard home. Not to mention the birds, skunks, racoons, and deer which pass through. Of course the lawn as a monoculture is a bit of an idealization; my lawn has several sorts of crabgrass, I suspect.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
To each their own. You don't have to have a front lawn if you don't want one, but it's stupid to call people who do stupid.

I take advantage of my front lawn almost every day, and it's quite lovely, with just the right balance between grass, shrubs, trees, and flowers. But I won't bother inviting you over to enjoy it, since you think it's stupid.

Oh, and I've never used a chemical on my lawn in my life.
Agreed. You're not going to get invited to see my lawn, either. It has a huge maple tree that we brought home in our little Toyota wagon in 1989. We've watched it grow just like our kids and our cats. We have a number of native CO shrubs, and we have two Colorado blue spruce where bunnies nest underneath. But, as you say, it's not nature.

I think the point of a front lawn a bit of distance from the road is quiet and privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I meant big front lawns. It's true they can be used for gardening, which is fine. And there are areas in which people still sit out on their front porches and enjoy the neighbourhood---but that tends to be in older urban areas or in poorer neighborhoods.

But you rarely see most people in typical surburbia spending time on their front lawns. So they're really dead spaces, used to distance your house from the road I guess. Actually I would love to know the history of the front lawn, in parts of Europe the houses are set right by the road.
And we all know, Europe is the gold standard, right? Let me relate an anecdote. We were visiting friends this weekend, and the guy showed us his pictures of Stockholm. It was the typical European city, with a center square with a cathedral (probably Lutheran since it was Sweden), everything bricked and concrete, with a few scrawny trees. His wife, who is from Hong Kong, said, "It seems a little stark." A conversation then ensued about European cities with all their brick and concrete. Who cares what they are doing?

Quote:
There are some in the US as well. See the photos I posted on the previous page (although those have some distance from the road.
Yes, they do have some distance from the road. The houses in Europe are smack up against the sidewalk. I never saw any people out there, either.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And we all know, Europe is the gold standard, right? Let me relate an anecdote. We were visiting friends this weekend, and the guy showed us his pictures of Stockholm. It was the typical European city, with a center square with a cathedral (probably Lutheran since it was Sweden), everything bricked and concrete, with a few scrawny trees. His wife, who is from Hong Kong, said, "It seems a little stark." A conversation then ensued about European cities with all their brick and concrete. Who cares what they are doing?
Me. There's positives and negatives about different places. Might it be good learn from positives from elsewhere.

Why would you expect a center city to have any greenery? A skim through Stockholm shows plenty of greenery if you go out some but right in the center there isn't any. And those who want a busy urban place and don't care much about greenery can get what they want.

Quote:
Yes, they do have some distance from the road. The houses in Europe are smack up against the sidewalk. I never saw any people out there, either.
my photos weren't of big cities. We do have smack against the sidewalk (actually there is some right a block from me don't know if i have a photo).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...273.65,,0,0.63

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bosto...76.61,,0,-0.73

could find lots and lots more.

Edit: I posted a photo of a home near me right on the sidewalk this morning:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26450772-post56.html

(hard to tell, but the two houses on the right in the first photo)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Me. There's positives and negatives about different places. Might it be good learn from positives from elsewhere.

Why would you expect a center city to have any greenery? A skim through Stockholm shows plenty of greenery if you go out some but right in the center there isn't any. And those who want a busy urban place and don't care much about greenery can get what they want.

my photos weren't of big cities. We do have smack against the sidewalk (actually there is some right a block from me don't know if i have a photo).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...273.65,,0,0.63

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bosto...76.61,,0,-0.73

could find lots and lots more.

Edit: I posted a photo of a home near me right on the sidewalk this morning:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26450772-post56.html

(hard to tell, but the two houses on the right in the first photo)
Denver's center city has plenty of greenery, and trees don't even grow naturally here. Cherry Creek nor the Platte River have been channelized, either.

Every European city that I have seen is built from the same model. Center square with cathedral, bricks, concrete, channelized rivers, midrise apartments built right on the sidewalk, yada yada.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Every European city that I have seen is built from the same model. Center square with cathedral, bricks, concrete, channelized rivers, midrise apartments built right on the sidewalk, yada yada.
Meh. That's seems fine to me be for a center city. I didn't notice anything Amsterdam's center city housing style. You can always live a bit outside the center if you don't care for that and just visit the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning