Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM

668 posts, read 470,922 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think the suburbs in the Northeast are extremely different from the suburbs everywhere else...

Not all subdivisions.

Not all fast food.

Many, many places within walking distance. I can walk to my bank, a convenience store, a kmart, etc...

The nearby cities around us are all pretty much cesspools... crime is rampant... which explains why so many live in the burbs (at least around me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM

668 posts, read 470,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
And when kids get bored with that after the first week, then what?
Are you kidding me? What exactly makes you think that city kids are outside more then suburb kids? That is the EXACT opposite in NJ, as most city kids are targets of drive by shootings and the like. Those are the kids not outside. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
If having "character" means being a pretentious jerk that thinks they're a superior life form because they live in a dense, walkable area, then I'd rather be a "souless" suburbanite any day.

I find that people who say there is nothing to do in the suburbs have poor social skills. Which is why they need to have people literally living on top of them in close quarters to be successful socially. Which is also why they have a hard time finding something to do in the suburbs in the first place. The fact that they are so pretentious and arrogant also supports my theory that their social skills are poor.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Some cities seem to have nicer suburbs. Boston has a lot of town-like suburbs with walkable shopping areas, nearby commuter rail or T stops, and a Dunkin Donuts - which ensures that you know what part of the country you're in.

But here in the DC area, I find even the wealthy suburbs to be generic and boring. Oddly, the newer, outer suburbs are much nicer than some of the closer in ones, which are often more expensive due to proximity to DC. Many of the closer suburbs are littered with 1970s strip malls and unattractive 1950s picture window houses. Meanwhile, the new places have clean, modern looking strip malls and nicer looking homes that are actually less expensive. They're still kind of boring, but they're an improvement over what was built 50 years ago.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
But here in the DC area, I find even the wealthy suburbs to be generic and boring. Oddly, the newer, outer suburbs are much nicer than some of the closer in ones, which are often more expensive due to proximity to DC. Many of the closer suburbs are littered with 1970s strip malls and unattractive 1950s picture window houses. Meanwhile, the new places have clean, modern looking strip malls and nicer looking homes that are actually less expensive. They're still kind of boring, but they're an improvement over what was built 50 years ago.
To each his own. I'd much rather live in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons Corner, Rockville or Kensington than any of the farther out suburbs in the DC area.

I get bored living too far away from the main city, especially if it's far from good public transit. But some places are nice to visit.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Some cities seem to have nicer suburbs. Boston has a lot of town-like suburbs with walkable shopping areas, nearby commuter rail or T stops, and a Dunkin Donuts - which ensures that you know what part of the country you're
A dunkin Donuts, more Like 5.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
And when kids get bored with that after the first week, then what?
That was a list of what I did as kid. I didn't grow up in a dense neighborhood. I wasn't bored either, because I went outside and enjoyed active sports and games. I also didn't eat McDonalds or play Xbox or do drugs, so I guess maybe my perspective is outdated.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
That was a list of what I did as kid. I didn't grow up in a dense neighborhood. I wasn't bored either, because I went outside and enjoyed active sports and games. I also didn't eat McDonalds or play Xbox or do drugs, so I guess maybe my perspective is outdated.
I also grew up in a sprawly neighborhood, (1/2 acre lots) when only "rich" kids had a computer or an Atari. There were rarely ever enough kids around to put together any kind of ball game. I spent most of the time riding up and down the street on my bike, watching TV, or playing board games with the few kids that were around.

I'm not saying the city is better, just that sprawly development isn't as great as some are saying it is for kids.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:40 PM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
... really? What could your kids POSSIBLY do in the subdivision I just showed?
Can't walk and can't drive not until they're 16 at least. What until then? They're just gonna sit at home playing video games or on a computer on Facebook.

and by the way, the suburb you're describing may be an exception but most suburbs aren't built that way anymore
I will speak for myself since I grew up in a place like that. I spent my entire youth outside. We swam, played soccer, football, basketball, street hockey, rode our bikes, played flashlight tag at night, had fires in our backyards. In the winter we played in the snow all day. Went sledding.

I really don't know what you're talking about. Granted, there was no Internet then but there were video games. Didn't matter. We spent all day outside and never ran out of things to do.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
If having "character" means being a pretentious jerk that thinks they're a superior life form because they live in a dense, walkable area, then I'd rather be a "souless" suburbanite any day.

I find that people who say there is nothing to do in the suburbs have poor social skills. Which is why they need to have people literally living on top of them in close quarters to be successful socially. Which is also why they have a hard time finding something to do in the suburbs in the first place. The fact that they are so pretentious and arrogant also supports my theory that their social skills are poor.
It's just a preference. Don't get your panties in a wad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning