Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,085,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
some more german cities here by neighborhood:

Germany: States, Districts, Counties, Cities, Communes, Agglomerations & City Quarters - Statistics & Maps on City Population

scroll down to boroughs and city quarters and you get a clickable map. Choose the density button. It's a German site, the rest of Europe isn't as well covered. Much of the urban parts of the Netherlands are:

The Netherlands: Provinces, Cities, Municipalities, Urban Areas & Conurbations - Statistics & Maps on City Population

Under neighborhoods of Conurbations. I skimmed some other European countries didn't see neighborhood level densities for many cities, I'd curious if others found more. For all them, the district boundaries include undeveloped land, so it can lead to underestimate of residential densities. German cities tend have a lot of parkland and open space scattered. Densest parts of Amsterdam are just under 50k / sq mile.
Looks like the densest parts of Amsterdam are more 60-70k ppsm actually, with 162,000 people living at densities over 50k ppsm.

I took a shot at defining an "Amsterdam urban area" and getting the weighted density.
SW Ontario Urbanist: Amsterdam area weighted density

I got
Population: 1,702,825
Weighted Density: 21,990 ppsm

Wikipedia has only about 1.1 million for the urban area, so I guess those numbers consider Haarlem and the towns north and south of it (that I included) separate. Excluding those towns, the weighted density would be about 25,700 ppsm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Somewhat denser than I expected. I made a mistake in converting km^2 to mile^2. Any idea what German cities might be with smaller tract sizes?

Also, if you get a chance, could you make a cumulative graph of Amsterdam?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 PM

I suspect Berlin would probably be around 25,000 ppsm at census tract sizes. I went through your link for German cities and added combined blocks into units with census tract like populations (trying to keep the tracts rectangular or triangular shaped, like census tracts) for Berlin's core, and kind of making my way outwards towards the less dense parts of the city.

I got to
Population: 1,372,645
Area: 51.53 sq mi
Net Density: 26,636 ppsm
Weighted Density: 43,321 ppsm

That includes everything inside the Ringbahn (a bit over 1m people) and some areas outside. That includes all of the densest neighbourhoods, whose densest "census tracts" top out at typically 70-90k ppsm, except Neukoln where the densest one is 103,768 ppsm (the 8 blocks touching OkerstraBe street). Neukoln seems to be the densest part of Berlin, followed by midrise neighbourhoods east and north of the city centre. Charlottenburg, Wilmersdorf and Schoneberg don't seem to get much above 50k ppsm.

A bit hard to say how the rest of the city would turn out. There's a lot of big forests, and farm land, plus some industrial areas and a lot of the residential looking land is allotment gardens with small, probably often single room cottages (ie not primary residences). It's possible much of the population in the outer city lives in highrises and midrises.

Last edited by memph; 01-21-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I'm a bit confused, Berlin district data is all in districts much larger than census tracts. How'd you get units with census tract like populations?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM

I used this and combined blocks into census tract-like units a couple weeks ago when I had time to kill while listening to some podcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Population density map of Berlin:

Map: 06.06 Population Density (Edition 2014)

City center is denser than the neighborhood figures suggest, mainly because of so much non-residential buildings
Going through the whole city though, especially the low density parts would take too long. Still, it was interesting to go through the core and pick out some patterns in those areas.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM

It didn't occur to me that map would actually be useful for anything other than a colorful overview. I thought your link referred to the more recent one I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I suspect Berlin would probably be around 25,000 ppsm at census tract sizes. I went through your link for German cities and added combined blocks into units with census tract like populations (trying to keep the tracts rectangular or triangular shaped, like census tracts) for Berlin's core, and kind of making my way outwards towards the less dense parts of the city.

I got to
Population: 1,372,645
Area: 51.53 sq mi
Net Density: 26,636 ppsm
Weighted Density: 43,321 ppsm

That includes everything inside the Ringbahn (a bit over 1m people) and some areas outside. That includes all of the densest neighbourhoods, whose densest "census tracts" top out at typically 70-90k ppsm, except Neukoln where the densest one is 103,768 ppsm (the 8 blocks touching OkerstraBe street). Neukoln seems to be the densest part of Berlin, followed by midrise neighbourhoods east and north of the city centre. Charlottenburg, Wilmersdorf and Schoneberg don't seem to get much above 50k ppsm.
Hmm. it sounds like Inner Berlin is quite a bit denser than London, though the net density isn't that different. Perhaps Berlin is the densest city in Northern Europe (excluding France and other former Communist countries), with Amsterdam among the densest for its size?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Neat comparison of weighted density in European vs Australian cities. Their numbers match up to the ones I got for the few European cities I attempted to calculate the weighted densities of.
Comparing the densities of Australian and European cities | Charting Transport

The densest European cities (pop 1m+) are Barcelona followed by Madrid, Valencia, Athens and Paris.

New York City would still rank near the top, probably somewhere a bit after Paris.

The next densest American/Canadian cities would be about comparable to the least dense European cities, mostly smaller cities in northern Europe (UK, Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Germany).

Australian cities are not especially dense, denser than the Southeast and many Midwestern and Great Lakes cities but no denser than Northeastern, Western/SW and South Florida. I'm pretty sure they're less "spiky" than NE cities too, but still have decently vibrant downtowns and transit use.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 AM

Neat link, though they used a square km grid and count water in the grid. As well as parks. It would reduce the density of cities with a lot of water or undeveloped land mixed in nearby residential neighborhoods compared to ones more separated. Might do a calculation for American cities to see how much it reduces density vs census tracts

Old 11-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Yeah Porto has a lot of suburban areas that would feel pretty dense on the ground but they're separated from each other by small vineyards and such, so that's probably a big part of the reason why it has a relatively low weighted density by this measure.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
I see a huge problem with this, as the land areas used for the calculations are so different.

For example in Barcelona, which is of course very dense, the calculation includes some urban spots and not a continuous land areas:

Meanwhile for Helsinki, it's a continuous land area consisting of 7
independent muncipalities. As you can see there is a lot of almost uninhabited land, including a national park:

Then for Vienna, the urban area has been set combining cities of three different countries!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning