U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,268,539 times

Advertisements

An absolutely amazingly beautiful, gorgeous city. I never knew such a fine example of urbanism could exist in a new world city. With world-class public transit, filled with miles and miles of picturesque pedestrian-only and bicycle-friendly streets beyond my wildest dreams.

Watch:
Melbourne: A Pedestrian Paradise on Vimeo

It saddens me cities in America aren't like this. Even in NYC and 'Frisco, the streets resemble eight lane highways where pedestrians and cyclists are an afterthought to the endless car congestion and parking lots that dominate the cityscape. Things might be slowly beginning to change in recent years giving pedestrians and cyclists more room to breathe, thanks to the new urbanist movement, but cities like Melbourne are way ahead of the curve and we are way behind it advancing at a glacial pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,605,059 times
Swoon! I'd say that's pretty close to paradise for me. Man, my city feels just pathetic compared to this and it is actually quite walkable with trolleys, plazas etc... and has a beautiful setting not unlike Melbourne to start with.

All I know is that whenever these types of ideas or changes are suggested around here- and there are a number of similar ones being promoted- there is a phalanx of angry protests, letters to the editors etc... from those outside of the city unwilling to make the investment to foster this more urban type of lifestyle and destination centers here. Instead, they rail from their car based lifestyle and want to stop spending money on those damn public transportation systems, walk and bike lanes, pedestrian plazas and instead just demand we widen the freeways and build more parking lots like we always have- sigh...

...and we wonder why we have no cities in this country represented in recent top places to live ratings.

Regardless, I'm going to be showing this to local planning groups where I participate- thanks for sharing cisco.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,345 times
Melbourne really seems to have their act together... A lot of American/Canadian cities have narrower streets like the ones in Melbourne, but the problem is that they usually act as service streets and mostly just have parking lots, parking structures, dumpsters, loading bays and blank walls... but hopefully as cities grow, they'll run out of retail space on the major streets and will turn to placing retail on these smaller streets.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM

551 posts, read 997,455 times
Wow I checked the video of Melbourne and that looks great. I think that they definitely need to make places like that again, but unfortunately too many Americans will then get angry over the reasons like they say it will make it too hard to park cars in the city.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 42,008,719 times
It looks very nice! The street running rail in the downtown reminded of very dense and busy version of Portland

Notice almost all the buildings had street level retail, little land was used for parking, and other than the public spaces no vacant land and space between the buildings.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,797,682 times
Wow! I'd no idea that Melbourne was like this, nor that it had such a vibrant "street culture".

That's really neat -- would definitely like to visit sometime!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,268,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Swoon! I'd say that's pretty close to paradise for me. Man, my city feels just pathetic compared to this and it is actually quite walkable with trolleys, plazas etc... and has a beautiful setting not unlike Melbourne to start with.

All I know is that whenever these types of ideas or changes are suggested around here- and there are a number of similar ones being promoted- there is a phalanx of angry protests, letters to the editors etc... from those outside of the city unwilling to make the investment to foster this more urban type of lifestyle and destination centers here. Instead, they rail from their car based lifestyle and want to stop spending money on those damn public transportation systems, walk and bike lanes, pedestrian plazas and instead just demand we widen the freeways and build more parking lots like we always have- sigh...

...and we wonder why we have no cities in this country represented in recent top places to live ratings.

Regardless, I'm going to be showing this to local planning groups where I participate- thanks for sharing cisco.

You're very welcome! I think visual aids definitely helps people to see and understand the benefits of good urbanism and helps them overcome their objections and biases. Because truthfully there really aren't many examples of great urbanism in the US so people are understandably biased against it. I used to be one of the naysayers myself. So definitely show it to your planning groups and see what they think. It would be interesting to see what their reaction is. Let us know!

If the dazzling display of first-rate urbanism on display in this video doesn't convince them, maybe nothing will. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,193,918 times
I had no idea Melbourne was like that. Very nice! There's a user on Youtube, can't remember his name, who posts videos from Japan (and other places), and I specifically recall his videos from Tokyo, walking through a seemingly endless array of narrow little streets for pedestrians, all lined with tiny, unique, and interesting shops and cafes. It was one of the most pleasant things I've seen, and this video reminded me of it quite a bit.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I had no idea Melbourne was like that. Very nice! There's a user on Youtube, can't remember his name, who posts videos from Japan (and other places), and I specifically recall his videos from Tokyo, walking through a seemingly endless array of narrow little streets for pedestrians, all lined with tiny, unique, and interesting shops and cafes. It was one of the most pleasant things I've seen, and this video reminded me of it quite a bit.
Is it egawauemon?

HD 720p walking in tokyo,asakusa 5/5 - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,193,918 times
^^Different video, but I'm pretty sure that's the same user (and that was a great video, too!) Looks like I have a lot of videos to watch now.

Edit: Come to think of it, I watched several of the videos from Japan so it may not have even been Tokyo, I just know I watched several showing Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning