Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I agree with what you're saying in respect to the suburbs offering an alternative to the city, but if you introduce the scenerio of very expensive fuel to auto-dependent suburbs, they seem less sustainable. I'm not saying every suburb is completely auto dependent, all I'm saying is that it's a scenerio you have to consider when debating "sustainability."
I agree with the fuel issue. That is someting that can affect the sustainability of the suburbs, but just because the fuel issue exist doesn't mean the suburbs will go away. Cities have public schools, crime, racism in some cities, horrible city government, poverty, etc and they are still there. My point is, there will be people who will always choose the suburbs even if gas prices rise. Its a simply matter of what you are willing to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I agree with the fuel issue. That is someting that can affect the sustainability of the suburbs, but just because the fuel issue exist doesn't mean the suburbs will go away. Cities have public schools, crime, racism in some cities, horrible city government, poverty, etc and they are still there. My point is, there will be people who will always choose the suburbs even if gas prices rise. Its a simply matter of what you are willing to deal with.
So, if there was no more gas, would people still live in the suburbs? Could people sustain their current lives in the suburbs without oil? If the price of gas shot up tomorrow to $10 a gallon, who would be able to sustain their lifestyle the best: Suburban or Urban residents?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
I agree with the fuel issue. That is someting that can affect the sustainability of the suburbs, but just because the fuel issue exist doesn't mean the suburbs will go away. .
I didn't say they would.

Quote:
Cities have public schools, crime, racism in some cities, horrible city government, poverty, etc and they are still there. .
You are aware that these problems acutally do exist in suburbs too, right? It's not so black and white (pun intended). I know you are aware, just avoid blanket statements like this OK?

Quote:

My point is, there will be people who will always choose the suburbs even if gas prices rise. Its a simply matter of what you are willing to deal with.
If the cost of anything rises, a certain number of people will no longer be able to afford that thing, whatever it may be.

People have to live somewhere, so they will live where they can afford, whether not they are "willing to deal with it." More people buying into cities > re-population of blighted area > the return of a middle class > reduction of the problems you seem to feel are either unsolvable or permament.

I'm not sure how old you are but Philadelphia is a heck of a lot better now than it was at any point of my lifetime. In some areas that isn't saying much but you'd have to be blind to miss how much progress Philly has made in the last 30 years.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
So, if there was no more gas, would people still live in the suburbs? Could people sustain their current lives in the suburbs without oil? If the price of gas shot up tomorrow to $10 a gallon, who would be able to sustain their lifestyle the best: Suburban or Urban residents?
If there was no oil, people would not be able to live in the suburbs. When that happens, we'll have that debate. Right now there is oil, so the suburbs will be sustainable.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I didn't say they would.

You are aware that these problems acutally do exist in suburbs too, right? It's not so black and white (pun intended). I know you are aware, just avoid blanket statements like this OK?

If the cost of anything rises, a certain number of people will no longer be able to afford that thing, whatever it may be.

People have to live somewhere, so they will live where they can afford, whether not they are "willing to deal with it." More people buying into cities > re-population of blighted area > the return of a middle class > reduction of the problems you seem to feel are either unsolvable or permament.

I'm not sure how old you are but Philadelphia is a heck of a lot better now than it was at any point of my lifetime. In some areas that isn't saying much but you'd have to be blind to miss how much progress Philly has made in the last 30 years.
1. I'm not making blanket statements, but my point was the suburbs has the fuel issue, and the city has their issues. I know that suburbs have bad public schools, crime, etc. They both are still around, and will always be around

2. I'm well aware that people will live where they can afford, and there will always be people who can afford the suburbs.

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know. That would be a subject for a PhD thesis. I do not accept that it is inherently obvious that a city is more sustainable, however.
Imagination! I have given you full reign over this scenario, and you give me some cop out that says it's just too much to even give the old "college try" and convince me that the lifestyle and environment that YOU PERSONALLY LIVE would be sustainable for everyone who currently lives in a city.

But it does seem like you are insinuating that suburban lifestyles cannot be sustainable for the citizens of the United States. If it was sustainable, I would think that people would be jumping all over the opportunity to show and explain how if everyone lived on a quarter acre lot of land with plenty of roads connecting everything, how that it would be more sustainable than living in a city.

But, alas, no one is saying everyone can live in a house with a yard like theirs.

Everyone can live in an apartment like mine.

Quote:
If there was no oil, people would not be able to live in the suburbs. When that happens, we'll have that debate. Right now there is oil, so the suburbs will be sustainable.
Sustainable: The capacity for being sustained sustainable - definition of sustainable by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Sustained: To keep in existance, to be maintained
sustained - definition of sustained by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

In order to assess sustainability you have to look beyond right now

Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Sustainable: The capacity for being sustained sustainable - definition of sustainable by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Sustained: To keep in existance, to be maintained
sustained - definition of sustained by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

In order to assess sustainability you have to look beyond right now
I'm fully confident 30 years from now, the suburbs will still exist.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I'm fully confident 30 years from now, the suburbs will still exist.
me too. That was never a point of contention.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
me too. That was never a point of contention.
My whole point has been, neither the city or the suburbs are more sustainable. They both will exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning