U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 15,833,148 times
Reputation: 7193

Advertisements

Life get better when the car is removed to a distance away............


Copenhagen's Car Free Streets Slow Speed Zones (Sub Español) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
 
414 posts, read 367,096 times
Reputation: 694
I do love downtown areas with no cars, so pleasant to walk down the road on a nice day without fear of idiotic drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 15,799,354 times
Reputation: 10238
Car free zones are called shopping malls.

[or lifestyle centers]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 12,706,141 times
Reputation: 14700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Car free zones are called shopping malls.

[or lifestyle centers]
Unfortunately the "Lifestyle Center" in my hometown is interlaced with smaller parking lots and insane drivers who don't have a problem going to 30mph where pedestrians are walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
 
3,777 posts, read 2,784,838 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Car free zones are called shopping malls.

[or lifestyle centers]

Ironic then that this 'car free zone' known as the shopping mall is typically surrounded
by a sea of parked cars and oversized parking lots. And driving is the only way to get to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
44,628 posts, read 35,351,644 times
Reputation: 14286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Ironic then that this 'car free zone' known as the shopping mall is typically surrounded
by a sea of parked cars and oversized parking lots. And driving is the only way to get to them.
Malls actually can work rather well as a transit destination. One stop, and all the stores can be walked to, unlike say a strip mall.

I know of a mall in Long Island that is half a mile for a train station with frequent service. Good bus service between train station and mall, but few walks between due to a pedestrian unfriendly layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 12,706,141 times
Reputation: 14700
Incidentally, my town has a main "drag" downtown, and there's another street that crosses it, and on that street is a high concentration of small shops and some high-end apartments on the upper floors. It's also where most of the pedestrians generally walk (well, on the sidewalks) and it's split down the middle with trees and parking spaces, and the typical parking spaces on each side facing the storefronts. And on one end is the main bus station for the whole town. Motorists drive down it all the time, slowly, even though neighboring streets would be much quicker. In short, it would be an ideal street to convert to a pedestrian space. And while this town seems somewhat open to that sort of thing, I'm not sure most would approve of it. But the more I imagine it, the more it seems like the ideal use for the street. I need to take some pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
 
3,777 posts, read 2,784,838 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Malls actually can work rather well as a transit destination. One stop, and all the stores can be walked to, unlike say a strip mall.

I know of a mall in Long Island that is half a mile for a train station with frequent service. Good bus service between train station and mall, but few walks between due to a pedestrian unfriendly layout.

Shopping malls just seem like a bigger version of a strip mall to me. They have the same sterile feel about them. The urban shopping mall may or may not be within walking distance, but inside they're no different. I always get a minor sensation of vertigo when walking in one. Call it a headache. I think they're designed that way on purpose. They're very utilitarian, designed to move people in and out as quickly as possible. They aren't built with any aesthetic attributes in mind. People don't hang out in them for long. You're just there to make your purchase and that's it; they're like the fast food version of shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
 
3,112 posts, read 6,293,394 times
Reputation: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Shopping malls just seem like a bigger version of a strip mall to me. They have the same sterile feel about them. The urban shopping mall may or may not be within walking distance, but inside they're no different. I always get a minor sensation of vertigo when walking in one. Call it a headache. I think they're designed that way on purpose. They're very utilitarian, designed to move people in and out as quickly as possible. They aren't built with any aesthetic attributes in mind. People don't hang out in them for long. You're just there to make your purchase and that's it; they're like the fast food version of shopping.
Incorrect. Malls do everything they can to keep people there, so they spend more money. If they didn't want people hanging out there, there would be no food court, coffee shop, bookstore, lounge area, kids playground, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
 
3,777 posts, read 2,784,838 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Incorrect. Malls do everything they can to keep people there, so they spend more money. If they didn't want people hanging out there, there would be no food court, coffee shop, bookstore, lounge area, kids playground, etc.

Fast food chains like McDonald's don't do everything they can to keep you there. They do the minimum. But they also realize that people have kids, and the kids need something to amuse themselves. Which is why you often see a little playground for kids at the McDonalds.

Because they understand if you make your business attractive to kids, then the kids will put pressure on their parents to go there. Its a practical consideration. People with families require kid-friendly facilities. The idea is similar with modern shopping malls. They have fast food courts because they know people need to eat for example. But's that's why they are fast food courts. They want to move you in and out as quickly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top