Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm not sure why every discussion of walkability turns into walking to grocery stores.
The German word for groceries is Lebensmittel, the "center of life." It's always relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
The German word for groceries is Lebensmittel, the "center of life." It's always relevant.
Nah, center of life would be Lebensmitte_ whereas LebensmitteL are means that help maintain life, i.e. food.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I checked the walk score for my neighborhood and it was only 37, rather low. But I walk many places. I guess the walk score is for people too lazy to walk even half a mile. A mile or more? Call a cab, I guess. It is a railroad suburb, and I walk the 1.5 miles often when taking the train.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Add railway note

Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I checked the walk score for my neighborhood and it was only 37, rather low. But I walk many places. I guess the walk score is for people too lazy to walk even half a mile. A mile or more? Call a cab, I guess. It is a railroad suburb, and I walk the 1.5 miles often when taking the train.
Walking 1 mile to do all of your errands is a little too far. That means there and back is 40 minutes. Before actually doing anything. If it only takes a few minutes to walk, the odds of walking increase infinitely. Do you really want to walk 2 miles round trip in the rain with your groceries? What if you were walking with your kids? Or stroller? What if you forgot the milk, are you going to walk 2 miles to pick it up? Proximity matters.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Walking 1 mile to do all of your errands is a little too far. That means there and back is 40 minutes. Before actually doing anything. If it only takes a few minutes to walk, the odds of walking increase infinitely. Do you really want to walk 2 miles round trip in the rain with your groceries? What if you were walking with your kids? Or stroller? What if you forgot the milk, are you going to walk 2 miles to pick it up? Proximity matters.
Yeah, a mile is way too far, especially during slushy New England winters.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Back in High School, along with a few friends, I walked two miles each way. It wasn't much longer than taking the bus. And I know people who live 20 minutes, driving, from a grocery store. They plan ahead or improvise if running short.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Different people have different thresholds of pedestrian comfort. The more stuff within a short radius, the more people will be well-served by things within walking distance. So if one person can only handle a quarter-mile walk, a higher "walkscore" neighborhood might be a better choice--while for someone who doesn't mind walking a mile or more, a lower "walkscore" might be acceptable for their purposes. But a place that is more walkable will offer more options in the same radius.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, a mile is way too far, especially during slushy New England winters.
I don't think a mile is too far even in slushy New England winters. If you walk everywhere, you will be able to walk a mile in less than 40 minutes. I'm thinking about 20 minutes is how long it would take me to walk a mile. I will admit that a mile is about my threshold for walking though.

Of course now I am spoiled in sunny Los Angeles. The only weather-related deterrent is those brutal summer months; I'll actually cross the road back and forth to make sure I am always in the shade.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think a mile is too far even in slushy New England winters. If you walk everywhere, you will be able to walk a mile in less than 40 minutes. I'm thinking about 20 minutes is how long it would take me to walk a mile. I will admit that a mile is about my threshold for walking though.
You're more pedestrian-inclined than the average person. Most people aren't trying to walk a mile to the grocery store and then walk a mile back with bags in tow. And they're definitely not trying to do that in the snow.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
20 minutes / mile sounds right, but unless all your destinations are in the same place, you're going to spend a lot of time getting around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning