Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I can't find the specific post on the Denver forum, and it might have been the Colorado forum, but someone was advocating just bumming rides to the mountains with friends. You know, let them have the costs of car ownership, and you just ride along, and maybe offer to split the gas. It's just me, I have problems with that. I do NOT have a problem with taking visitors, etc.
That's no different than the situation I described.

People go on outdoor trips with others in the same car. Some not having a car isn't going to make much of a difference. I find it extremely insulting to consider your friends freeloaders or to have been considered a freeloader when I didn't have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And renters don't count?

A large portion of the population of Denver isn't homeowners, you're selecting a particular sample.
For G*d's sake, how many times do we have to go over this? Someone posted the car ownership rates of the renters and homeowners in LoDo. I made an observation that among the homeowners, the car ownership rate is virtually the same as in the rest of Denver. I"m tired of getting crucified for that. Of course, I am getting senile, too.

It is well known that non-car owners are more likely to be low-income people, who in turn tend to be renters. Even in LoDo, one can be relatively low income. I can still do math, BTW.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
For G*d's sake, how many times do we have to go over this? Someone posted the car ownership rates of the renters and homeowners in LoDo. I made an observation that among the homeowners, the car ownership rate is virtually the same as in the rest of Denver. .
And what among the renters? The difference is probably very high for renters.

You're comparing the car ownership among the homeowners of LoDo with the entire population of Denver, both renters and homeowners. Not the same comparison.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
That's no different than the situation I described.

People go on outdoor trips with others in the same car. Some not having a car isn't going to make much of a difference. I find it extremely insulting to consider your friends freeloaders or to have been considered a freeloader when I didn't have a car.
I am sorry if you feel offended by what I said. I have read all kinds of rants today about personal responsibility, etc, and yet when I post that it's freeloading to expect to bum rides from people to do the things that you want to do, I'm supposedly being offensive. It is part of my personality that you take care of your own needs, you don't expect someone else to drive you around. I am not talking about someone offering to do so. I have read lots of stuff about "frugal living" and I am amazed how many people brag about all the sponging they do. I also work with someone who does a lot of that and it drives me crazy.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
And what among the renters? The difference is probably very high for renters.

You're comparing the car ownership among the homeowners of LoDo with the entire population of Denver, both renters and homeowners. Not the same comparison.
If you had been following this thread you would know that for renters in LoDo, about 28% do not have a car. I know what I'm comparing, even if my senility is growing by the day. There is nothing wrong in saying the rate of car ownership among the homeowners is the same as in the rest of Denver. I don't have a breakdown of renters/owners in all of Denver.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I am sorry if you feel offended by what I said. I have read all kinds of rants today about personal responsibility, etc, and yet when I post that it's freeloading to expect to bum rides from people to do the things that you want to do, I'm supposedly being offensive. It is part of my personality that you take care of your own needs, you don't expect someone else to drive you around. I am not talking about someone offering to do so. I have read lots of stuff about "frugal living" and I am amazed how many people brag about all the sponging they do. I also work with someone who does a lot of that and it drives me crazy.
Because sharing rides for trips is something friends should do if you enjoy the others' company. And most times, people go together in one car whether the others have cars or not. Perhaps you meant something else, but I can't think of what else "hiking trips" or "skiing trips" would mean.

As to freeloading rides from carless, the closest I can think of is a friend who asks to driven around when I'm visiting when the bus system is quite capable of taking him around though often less conveniently and he obviously manages without. I'm a guest, so I feel like I should a bit, but there are limits.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Because sharing rides for trips is something friends should do if you enjoy the others' company. And most times, people go together in one car whether the others have cars or not. Perhaps you meant something else, but I can't think of what else "hiking trips" or "skiing trips" would mean.

As to freeloading rides from carless, the closest I can think of is a friend who asks to driven around when I'm visiting when the bus system is quite capable of taking him around though often less conveniently and he obviously manages without. I'm a guest, so I feel like I should a bit, but there are limits.
The person w/o the car should not expect to be driven for free at their request, or even for a tank of gas. People on this forum are constantly pointing out how much it costs to own a car.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM

389 posts, read 469,900 times
Quote:
The person w/o the car should not expect to be driven for free at their request, or even for a tank of gas. People on this forum are constantly pointing out how much it costs to own a car.
Which is why some alternative places to live without a car is good no?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I still don't understand why someone in LoDo would be reduced to either "freeloading" or else just not ever leaving the city -- Denver does have the eGo car-share program, which does have several locations in LoDo. It is a great option for someone who doesn't drive all the time but who still wants easy access to a car for some trips.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM

^^Maybe they're cheap. Maybe it's too unwieldy, making reservations, etc. The cars are all quite small, might not go well in the mountains when loaded with ski gear. Heck, I don't know!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-23-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning