U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,292,758 times

Advertisements

Where, in your opinion, do you think we could use an interstate connection, spur or loop?

In my region, I-14 and I-3 have been proposed in the last decade. I-22 is finally being finished from Memphis to Birmingham, a much needed connection.

I-14 is proposed to go from Myrtle Beach, SC to Austin, TX (originally proposed to go from Augusta, GA to Natchez, MS).
I-3 is proposed to go from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN.

I think a much needed connection is an I-85 extension from Montgomery, AL to Meridian, MS.
Also, I think the 185 spur should be extended from Columbus, GA to the Gulf coast.
Lastly, could you imagine a Dallas to Denver interstate connection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 AM

9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Inerstate 11 is a proposal to connect Las Vegas and Phoenix. These are the two largest metropolitan areas within a region that are not connected by interstate.

Interstate 11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Well the fact that I95 does not go continuous in Philadelphia is maybe the biggest one in the country

History of the Interstate 95 "Missing Link" of central New Jersey

At Last, I-95's Missing Link Hits The Road | WBUR & NPR

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
In Illinois I 57 crosses over I 294 but there is no interchange. There is a complicated subroutine for making the transfer involving going East, then West, crossing over to the left lane, that is confusing. Supposedly an interchange will be built. Also, State Rd 53 is an expressway up to the County Line. Supposedly it was to link up with US 12, to be an expressway, up to the Wisconsin where it is already a freeway. No plans to implement this, just to study.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,128,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well the fact that I95 does not go continuous in Philadelphia is maybe the biggest one in the country

History of the Interstate 95 "Missing Link" of central New Jersey

At Last, I-95's Missing Link Hits The Road | WBUR & NPR
Motorist can still drive from Miami to Philadelphia continously along I-95. Pennsylvania did their part.

I think New Jersey should have continue with the loop around Trenton and then follow the 1957 proposal and have the highway closely parallel to the Turnpike where it will join it in New Brunswick. I don't see why the NJTA was worried about loss revenues. Both roads would serve a different purpose. I-95 serves Philadelphia and local traffic and the Turnpike would serve as a bypass.

They ended up with traffic they couldn't handle and a poorly designed lane merge at Exit 8A that made people want to avoid that section anyway.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,292,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Inerstate 11 is a proposal to connect Las Vegas and Phoenix. These are the two largest metropolitan areas within a region that are not connected by interstate.

Interstate 11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a huge one! Honestly, I was always surprised this interstate wasn't around years ago along with a connection from Las Vegas to Reno, although the latter isn't a highly traveled route anyway. It would cut times drastically for those wanting to get to Las Vegas from Tahoe, Sacramento, the Bay Area and points north.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Where, in your opinion, do you think we could use an interstate connection, spur or loop?

In my region, I-14 and I-3 have been proposed in the last decade. I-22 is finally being finished from Memphis to Birmingham, a much needed connection.

I-14 is proposed to go from Myrtle Beach, SC to Austin, TX (originally proposed to go from Augusta, GA to Natchez, MS).
I-3 is proposed to go from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN.

I think a much needed connection is an I-85 extension from Montgomery, AL to Meridian, MS.
Also, I think the 185 spur should be extended from Columbus, GA to the Gulf coast.
a denver to dallas freeway (technically limon,co to amarillo,tx) should be among the top economic priorities for the interior US. these two economies are essential to our domestic future and currently are not legitimately connected.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

I-14 is needed however the I-85 extension wouldn't be needed as it would serve that purpose.

I-51 is a (not officially) proposed freeway to run from Houma, LA to Pine Bluff, Ark.

I-69 from Houston to Shreveport, LA is also proposed and is a well needed route to serve Houston.

I-49 in southern Louisiana is not yet complete but most of it already meets freeway standards.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
San Jose needs a better connection to the Central Valley, and via that connection, Southern California. Right now all they have is the 101, which is slower and meanders quite a bit.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

682 posts, read 1,165,260 times
Anyone know what the largest region in the country is that is not part of the interstate highway system? I am guessing Fresno, but maybe there is something bigger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or