Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I rode an urban gondola in Chongquing China one time, spanning a river, it was so cool! I also rode one in Kunming, China.

I've ridden gondola's, while traveling in South America, where it's quite standard to build a statue of Christ on one of their higher hills, fed by a gondola ride. I recall riding them, for this purpose, in Cochabamba/Bolivia, Salta/Argentina.

I think they'd work great, spanning the rivers in NYC.

Last edited by tijlover; 03-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
NYC has a fairly well used one to connect Manhattan to Roosevelt Island. London is building a new one to open in time for the Olypmics to connect to the O2 Arena. It already shows up on on-line the tube map as under construction.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Pittsburgh has long had a version of gondolas, its inclines. They're mostly tourist attractions today.

Duquesne and Monongahela Inclines, Pittsburgh

One time I was in Aspen (CO) with a friend from back home. I remarked how Aspen sort of looks like Beaver Falls, with a main street and then the town sloping down to the river. My friend pointed to the gondola at the foot of the mountain and said (sarcastically), "yeah, and a gondola too!" DH pointed out that there used to be an incline up the hill to connect d/t Beaver Falls with Patterson Hts.

PATTERSON HEIGHTS INCLINE

There is a guy on the Pittsburgh forum who is batty over the idea of gondolas being built there. You can do a search for the threads.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think they'd work great, spanning the rivers in NYC.
New York already has one, connecting Roosevelt Island with Manhattan. For a while, until a subway stop was open; it was the only direct connection between the island and Manhattan.

The problem with it, and any other gondola or incline, is it only connects two points; for example with the Roosevelt Island tramway, what if you wanted to go somewhere else in Manhattan; you'd have to switch to the subway. The frequency is also low because it's one line (once every 15 mins). Still makes more sense than most because one end is a small island, with most nearby the stop.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Gondolas (known as aerial trams in the USA) are not a viable solution for general mass transit because they are slow, limited in application to point to point, though less expensive to construct and maintain.

As to elevated mass transit, suspended monorails, or elevated trains are far more cost effective.

For land transportation, steel wheel on steel rail trumps other forms.

Science of Railway Locomotion

As to propulsion, electric traction is most efficient. Cable cars (i.e., San Francisco) and funiculars are another solution, when the grade is too steep for traction, and / or when cogwheel is impractical.

As to snow, it depends on depth. Trains can handle deeper snow than cars, in general.

SlowPlowTrain.jpg (image)

Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
and if the city loses power? then you have 10,000s of people stranded possibly a 100 or more Feet obove city streets.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
and if the city loses power? then you have 10,000s of people stranded possibly a 100 or more Feet obove city streets.
Trams don't have to use electricity. They can use other forms of energy. One can start by using solar generators or even LNG.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,693 times
Some random answers :

Capacity and speed - these are currently limited more by norms and regulations than effective limitations , gondola with >7000 pph pd and 45 kmh/27 mph are already feasible.

Safety : Gondola and ropeways are roughly 8 to 10 times safer respect railways,for accidents and deaths/people transported statistics could be found on the Swiss Statistics bureau sites , btw we are talking on 2,5 million people/year for rope transit respect 4,3 million people/year , with data reported over 20 years.
Statistique suisse - Accidents et impact sur l'environnement Here the documents.

Efficience : Gondola are to be seriously evaluated in an urban environment when there are
- Inclines, rivers, highway or railways on the projected trace
- People transport demand not enough for a subway
- rectilinear line possibility
- Not many stops

In these cases, a Gondola could offer a Light Rail service on transport capability at a fraction of the cost, with a much better availability (a cab every minute) and another big advantage : a Gondola could be dismounted , relocated (even sold) and doesn't require irreversible environment modifications.

Nothing beats a full-scale subway on speed and mass transport capability, unfortunately the related costs are also very high, as the operational costs: worldwide there's no mass transport system paying by itself- all rely on heavy subsidies to run, and this is not fresh news, but are at least 40 years that works like this.
Instead, Gondola are worldwide a 95% private enterprise market, thus the pressure for increasing capability and reducing costs are and were real from long time...

If I was and Urban Planner, I would give a serious look to the opportunities and limitations , as well also look to the monorail systems that are currently gaining the market in an hard , harsh and competitive environment like mining...

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I think the problem is it has to go not just across or up geological features, but from high traffic area to high traffic area since there are no interim stops. Otherwise, what's the draw of getting to point B?
They just can't throw a ladder down for you to get off?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They just can't throw a ladder down for you to get off?
How about a fireman's pole instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning