Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

My Husband is a Town Planner here in the UK and is trying to write a paper on successful Urban Development/Regeneration, Public Transport, all kinds of Urban Planning topics in Portland and maybe the rest of Oregon.

I am doing some online research as well but prefer personal recommendations.

Portland is world famous for having successfully ( by modern standards anyway) enhanced and improved the urban environment for its inhabitants.

I was wondering what I can look up, any specific examples which you as professionals would define as being a success. Anything which you think has been the opposite and detracted from the Urban environment ?

I also posted the same subject thread in the Oregon Forum.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Sorry, I don't do other people's homework, not even my kids'.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Tom McCall Waterfront Park (formerly a downtown freeway)
Extensive Light Rail system
Downtown streetcar
Green urban/suburban growth boundaries
Short pedestrian condusive blocks in downtown

That's a template, as Katiana says you gotta do the homework and come to your own conclusions whether or not these and/or others examples define success.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I like this study from 2005. It has an interesting approach, among others, using permits and surface changes to survey building development.

When the original Sprawl Index came out in 2001, Portland on one metric rated high for sprawl. The reason was although the city drew a line around itself directing urban planning within, development simply hopped that boundary and continued to build outward, expanding the metro area.

This study indicates that Portland is still handling its planning well, very successfully. However, Clark County to the north in Washington has been its "release valve". It'll be interesting to watch and learn from this metro area, how it can "control" more growth in the future.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow. Thanks,really helpful. Why you had to post this is beyond me.

Actually I am doing my own homework.

I have spent the last 3 days looking up different schemes and websites about Portland and smart planning. I wanted some personal recommendations from a local perspective rather than purely a professional one. I guess your kids would never ask Grand-Parents to tell them about the War either. Or talk to an Explorer to find out a more personal perspective on expeditions...

And I am even coming to Portland in the Fall. Wow , I seeked help from people who would know best. Sue me.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Sorry, that's my policy, and I was hoping to put the word out to some others as well. I also post on the ed forum here on CD and there is a policy there of not providing homework help. Making the effort to personally ask one's grandparents or "an Explorer" is a little different from getting on the internet and asking people to do your research for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14317895-post1.html

Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM

63 posts, read 78,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Another option is to not post if you do not want to participate in a discussion. But with 46,000 posts in 5 years, I'm guessing that is not your style. The purpose of a forum like this is to get other people's prespectives.

My daughter lived in Portland for several years and I am thankful I got the chance to visit there and experience a city that was doning some things very well. Portland is just so easy to get around: light rail, bike paths, downtown trolly, overhead tram at health center and a very walkable downtown with the park blocks creating a linear park the length of downtown. Light rail from the airport to right downtown is so much easier than renting a car. They realized a freeway built in the 60s right along the river was a mistake, so they removed it and created a waterfront park. Portland also has one of the largest urban forests, also accessible by light rail. My daughter no longer lives there but I plan on going back. Enjoy your visit!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
This thread will be closed if people don't have much to add to the subject. If someone has some thoughts on Portland, research or topics that they think the OP should look into, please post. If you are just going to bicker amongst your themselves then your posts will get deleted.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM

63 posts, read 78,957 times
Couple things I forgot to mention. Was very impressed with the number of people out and about in downtown Portland. There were always people out and it made the streets feel safer. There is a large number of people that live downtown, but also noticed a lot of people in the outlying areas, spend time downtown. Also the light rail there was not just used by people too young/old/poor to drive, which is typical for some mass transit.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
There's a video available called Portland : Quest of the Livable City

It discusses how Oregon came with their land use planning in 1973 and the created a urban growth boundary.

Here's a short 6 minutes of the video -
Portland: Quest for the Livable City - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning