U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,379,916 times

Advertisements

How (and when) did you become interested in urban planning?...I grew-up as an only child and I was always looking for ways to amuse myself. As a kid I used to write stories. I cut pictures (of models' faces) out of old "Sears and Roebuck's" catalogs to represent the characters in my stories. But after awhile this wasn't enough...I asked my parents to (please) buy me some butcher paper so I could draw schematics and layouts of the towns my characters lived in...Anyway I started paying attention to cities at an early age and open-space between cities...Plus I've always been fascinated by socio-economic factors within each area. How about you? What spurred your interest in urban planning? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM

63 posts, read 62,012 times
Grew up in Indianapolis in the 60's, early 70s. Witnessed the destruction of neighborhoods by bulldozing Freeways thru existing downtown neighborhoods. My grandfather was a builder, so I was interested in houses. It always amazed me these beautiful, old mansions were in ghettos. I realized that because of the car, cities evolved in strange ways. Originally the desirable real estate was close to the commerical core, but with the car, the rich moved out to the fringes, which constantly moved further out. Realized that the core of the city built before cars dominated was MUCH better than the crap being built in the 60s and 70s.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM

78 posts, read 152,632 times
Simcity 2000/3000/4. Also, going from growing up in Chicagoland to New Orleans to various parts of Florida, seeing how big a difference urban planning makes in everyday quality of life.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,048,592 times
When I was a little kid, we used to drive from Southeastern MA to a family ski house in New Hampshire.

I used to love when we left our suburban home and drove on I-93 through Boston. Back then, the elevated Central Artery was still intact and you could really see a lot of the city that way, from the towering skyscrapers right up against the highway to the meandering alleys of Faneuil Hall and the North End. When we hit New Hampshire, I loved driving through the small villages and little urban town centers (North Conway, for example). I was fascinated in how it all worked... the architecture, layout (who said, "it should be just like this?") and all of the people going from place to place.

I also enjoyed maps... I drew them when I was bored in class and always spent too much time looking at one when I had it in front of me. Then a friend of mine got Simcity 2000 for his original Play Station and it was game over. I was hooked. I played SC2K for years. When SC3K came out, I played for years. When SC4 came out... well, I still play today. Almost a decade after its release. Then they announced this year that they're making a real Sim City 5 (not that SC Societies junk). I'm not going to say my excitement was better than sex... but my excitement was better than sex. I'm sure that when it's released, I'll get fired, lose my house and my girlfriend will dump me within about a week.

So long story short, I've been fascinated since I was a little kid and the Sim City games really channeled that excitement. I'm a month a way from my getting my Masters in Urban Studies. Needless to say, it's been my passion for a long time.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
I always liked the idea of big cities and skyscrapers. I got online one day and found CD..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
How (and when) did you become interested in urban planning?
When I dated the planning administrator of one of the towns I lived in in the 80s?

Or maybe it was sitting through all those zoning hearings as a newspaper reporter. If I had to be there for hours ... and hours ... I might as well develop an interest in the subject matter, right?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,279,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Or maybe it was sitting through all those zoning hearings as a newspaper reporter. If I had to be there for hours ... and hours ... I might as well develop an interest in the subject matter, right?
Same story here.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,151 times
SimCity 4.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
My dad was a councilman for our little burb back in the 60s. That council wrote the first zoning regulations for the community. There was always lots of political talk going on in our house.

In 1982, we moved from Denver to a town of 5000 people that was growing rapidly. There were lots of urban planning issues going on.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM

8,328 posts, read 14,556,250 times
Started out playing with trains as a kid, designing little towns for my railroads to serve. When I rediscovered trains as an adult, I got interested in understanding why the railroads (and the towns) were there, and what their economic functions were. That got me into research, and eventually into the history of urban planning and transportation. My long-standing love of the neighborhood where I live got me into neighborhood activism and saving old buildings. A lifetime spent getting around on buses and bikes and trains, originally due to necessity, got me interested in transit. Put it all together and you get a guy who did a lot of research and even occasionally gets a few hours to build things in my basement. But working with full-sized trains and houses is even more fun than the HO scale versions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning