Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe he will come back and explain himself on the roads issue.

I was alive during the "civil rights era" of the 60s, which is something a lot of people on this forum can't say. I remember it well; I grew into my teens during that era. That is also, coincidentally, the time when a lot of suburbs were growing rapidly. So you had two diverse movements going on. I don't remember any gated communities being built in my area during the 60s; I remember a few from well before that.
It's naive to think that it was only coincidence. Unrest in cities fueled demand in suburbs. These are not seperate issues.

Amazon.com: Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American city (9781566638432): Antero Pietila: Books This is a great read, even if you aren't from Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't remember any gated communities being built in my area during the 60s; I remember a few from well before that.
Did the ones from your area built well before the 60s have a security guard who checked all cars?

Gated communities sound like a regional thing to me. There are no (well, there's probably one somewhere but they're rare) gated communities in Long Island and much of it was built in the 60s. Few gated communities in Massachusetts. Saw one in New Jersey, in an area that I think was built in the 80s or early 90s.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
ISuburbs were created in part do to white flight
I hear this all the time, but I believe it was minor piece of the puzzle that led to the rise in suburbs, such as:

-Greater use of automobile allowed access to parts outside the city
-People had the opportunity to build new
-People had the opportunity for a larger home
-People had the opportunity for a yard and access to a metro area
-People had the opportunity to creating distance from crime

Then, as suburbs started to grow, it seems investment in cities declined, only exacerbating the trend. Yes, some people were racist, but I believe the vast majority of people were just for safety, having bigger, and having newer...and cars and gov't investments offered that opportunity. I am sure I am missing some basic stuff in this story, but this was off the top of my head.

By the way, we don't really have many gated communities where I live, just suburbs.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I hear this all the time, but I believe it was minor piece of the puzzle that led to the rise in suburbs, such as:

-Greater use of automobile allowed access to parts outside the city
-People had the opportunity to build new
-People had the opportunity for a larger home
-People had the opportunity for a yard and access to a metro area
-People had the opportunity to creating distance from crime

Then, as suburbs started to grow, it seems investment in cities declined, only exacerbating the trend. Yes, some people were racist, but I believe the vast majority of people were just for safety, having bigger, and having newer...and cars and gov't investments offered that opportunity. I am sure I am missing some basic stuff in this story, but this was off the top of my head.

By the way, we don't really have many gated communities where I live, just suburbs.
Plenty of non-racists sold their urban homes for suburban homes, you're right. But in some cases the reasons behind this were racial in nature, even if they harbored no ill will towards blacks or other minorities. It became the only financially sound decision in lots of places.

Read this: Blockbusting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 04-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Plenty of non-racists sold their urban homes for suburban homes, you're right. But in some cases the reasons behind this were racial in nature, even if they harbored no ill will towards blacks. It became the only financially sound decision in lots of places.

Read this: Blockbusting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some of the fear was justified. Crime and poverty went up at the time when minorities moved in.

White ethnic New York: Jews, Catholics, and the shaping of postwar politics - Joshua Zeitz - Google Books

See pages 153-155. Also, this seems like it might be an interesting book:

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Neighborho...4969956&sr=8-1

Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some of the fear was justified. Crime and poverty went up at the time when minorities moved in.

White ethnic New York: Jews, Catholics, and the shaping of postwar politics - Joshua Zeitz - Google Books

See pages 153-154.
You bet, but the methods of blockbusting were the egregious part.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did the ones from your area built well before the 60s have a security guard who checked all cars?

Gated communities sound like a regional thing to me. There are no (well, there's probably one somewhere but they're rare) gated communities in Long Island and much of it was built in the 60s. Few gated communities in Massachusetts. Saw one in New Jersey, in an area that I think was built in the 80s or early 90s.
No. And seriously, I don't know of any gated communities in my area now that do so. I've been a visiting nurse and seen a lot of subdivisions.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
The issue of race has now become an issue of class--the working-class white (with cars on blocks and a barbecue on the lawn) is no more welcome in a gated community than the working-class nonwhite, and while there are nonwhites in these exclusive places, it is expected that they will behave in order to maintain their status as One of the Good Ones who can be trotted out when someone mentions the exclusivity of their gated community.

A lot of this surveillance is stuff that theoretically should infuriate social conservatives who would never tolerate such behavior from their government, but the same sort of behavior is perfectly acceptable if it is privatized. But privatized government is more dangerous than the public sort--it has the power of government without its accountability.

The strict social control of a gated community, with its rules regarding front yards, street parking, and limits on access are the antithesis of the modern era of city planning, mixed-use neighborhoods and walkability. They are the ultimate in unwalkability, due to their labyrinthine nature and lack of permeability, and actively discourage pedestrian activity, use of porches and front yards, and other things that might make the place less than sterile.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The strict social control of a gated community, with its rules regarding front yards, street parking, and limits on access are the antithesis of the modern era of city planning, mixed-use neighborhoods and walkability. They are the ultimate in unwalkability, due to their labyrinthine nature and lack of permeability, and actively discourage pedestrian activity, use of porches and front yards, and other things that might make the place less than sterile.
Compare biking and walking and in a layout like this suburb Has a street hierarchy, partially ungridded, but you can use side streets to avoid busy roads, and some commercial roads are functional for bikes + pedestrians(mainly Larkfield Road and the area by Greenlawn train station). In contrast look at this suburb full of gated communities

Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Had Trayvon Martin been visiting my neighborhood he'd still be alive. He wouldn't have gotten in without being on someone's guest list. While we do keep an eye for things that seem out of place, a black kid carrying a bag of Skittles and walking down the sidewalk wouldn't warrant a second glance any more than a white woman pushing a stroller. Out of place would be a car cruising slowly through the neighborhood after dark or a strange car/van/truck parked in the driveway of someone who I know isn't home at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning