Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times

Advertisements

The short life cycle of strip malls and shopping malls is symbolic of the unsustainability of suburban sprawl in general. Does anyone ever mourn their demise when they are abandoned or torn down? No because they're an eyesore. They have a very artificial quality about them that no one can ever be fond of or get sentimental about. They are as interesting and disposable as the plastic wrapper your Big Mac sandwich came in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The short life cycle of strip malls and shopping malls is symbolic of the unsustainability of suburban sprawl in general. Does anyone ever mourn their demise when they are abandoned or torn down? No because they're an eyesore. They have a very artificial quality about them that no one can ever be fond of or get sentimental about. They are as interesting and disposable as the plastic wrapper your Big Mac sandwich came in.
^^^ I agree with this statement.

I think that malls are starting to get less popular over time. There is little that can be done to make sure that malls stay successful, but I guess one way to have a successful mall is to have something that looks really cool that both adults and children like. Ever see the Las Vegas mall with the water tornadoes inside of them? Or that they have an aquarium in this mall in one middle eastern country (I forgot which). I think that it could possibly make it more successful and attract people but it is still a risky gamble which could cost a lot and flop.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I would get sentimental and I'm sure others do.

I think some malls will die out where as others will survive. I don't care for a downtown. Lifestyle centers and malls are cool, but not downtowns.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Is there any appreciable difference between a lifestyle center and a mall? Do people say "I'm going to the lifestyle center" or "I'm going to the mall?"

Where I live we just have malls, and my rate of visitation is about 0.4 times per annum so perhaps I'm just a rube when it comes to this type of retail.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Is there any appreciable difference between a lifestyle center and a mall? Do people say "I'm going to the lifestyle center"
LOL

The first time I went to a "lifestyle center"-- the Easton Town Center in Columbus -- my first thought was that it was just like a mall, stuck way out in the 'burbs, but with streets and storefronts to mimic a downtown. Very curious.

But other lifestyle centers, like Rookwood in Cincinnati, are just big shopping plazas with big parking lots. To Rookwood's credit, it was built on infill, the site of an old factory, although it also required mowing down a couple of streets' worth of 1920s-era homes.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL

The first time I went to a "lifestyle center"-- the Easton Town Center in Columbus -- my first thought was that it was just like a mall, stuck way out in the 'burbs, but with streets and storefronts to mimic a downtown. Very curious.

But other lifestyle centers, like Rookwood in Cincinnati, are just big shopping plazas with big parking lots. To Rookwood's credit, it was built on infill, the site of an old factory, although it also required mowing down a couple of streets' worth of 1920s-era homes.
OK I get it! And I stand corrected. We do have one of those! I went once about 5 years ago. The Avenue At White Marsh It's built in the middle of parking lots to mimic a downtown!! Wow! It's like a theme park. "Downtown shopping - in the burbs!"

We also have an actual neighborhood with another shopping area called "The Avenue" : Hampden Village Merchants Association The coincidence is hilarious to me.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I don't think there's really any difference in the actual merchants that are in a mall vs a "lifestyle center" (gad, I hate that phrase! LOL), though; each has restaurants, a variety of the same old chain stores, etc. I've seen some that have nearby condos and apartments, for the total lifestyle experience. Just in case you can't stand living more than a five-minute walk from Chico's ...

Hampden Village looks cool. I think it's high time that I explored Baltimore ...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,116,328 times
A real good food court.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think there's really any difference in the actual merchants that are in a mall vs a "lifestyle center" (gad, I hate that phrase! LOL), though; each has restaurants, a variety of the same old chain stores, etc. I've seen some that have nearby condos and apartments, for the total lifestyle experience. Just in case you can't stand living more than a five-minute walk from Chico's ...

Hampden Village looks cool. I think it's high time that I explored Baltimore ...
Yes, I think there are apartments there (or very close).

Hampden is pretty neat. It's quickly transitioning from bohemian to yuppieville, so hurry. Great watering holes and food selections for meat eaters and vegetarians, like this one: http://www.rockettovenus.com/

Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Many lifestyle centers I think of have Chico's, Pottery Barn, Gap, Sephora, Banana Republic, Coach, and sometimes the filler stores you mention like PacSun, Zumiez, Hollister's.

I would consider clothes at Zumiez, PacSun, Aeropostale, and Hot Topic to be cheap.

Downtowns and lifestyle centers and high end malls tend to have more designer clothing and trendy clothing like Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Diesel, etc...
I would agree regarding the less trendy aspect at most lifestyle centers. They tend to go more classic with clothing/accessory retailers like Talbots, Anthropologie, JCrew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Coach and JJill, as well as stores like Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel or Williams Sonoma. Again without the crap filler stores that malls differentiate with. They usually have some decent chain restaurant options as well like PF Changs, California Pizza Kitchen, Maggianos or Cheesecake Factory. Malls seem to be more trend-oriented, appealing to teens/tweens with their specialty stores and generic fast food-oriented food courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning