Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
The climate in Denver is slightly wetter then Santa Fe (15 inches annual precip. vs. 14 inches), and a couple degrees warmer (which actually means there is more evapotranspiration in the summer and hence a slightly greater water need). Believe me, that one inch of extra precip. is not going to keep a tree that is native to a part of the country that gets 30+ inches per year alive.
Actually, Denver's average annual precip is 18.23 in.

Average Weather for Denver, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Santa Fe's is 14.2 in.

That is 27% more than Santa Fe's.

Average Weather for Santa Fe, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

That is a large difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, Denver's average annual precip is 18.23 in.

Average Weather for Denver, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Santa Fe's is 14.2 in.

That is 27% more than Santa Fe's.

Average Weather for Santa Fe, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

That is a large difference.
I've never seen figures above the 15-16" value for Denver. Check this site out: Colorado

Here are some summaries (from there):

Boulder - 18.74
Denver - 15.44
Fort Collins - 15.11
Brighton - 14.19
Longmont - 13.53
Greeley - 12.03

Usually I've seen 15 to 16 inch totals for Denver and 14 to 15 inch totals for Santa Fe (from multiple sources). But I'll give you an extra half inch since my source above has Santa Fe listed as 13.84. Still, Santa Fe is wetter then Longmont and Greeley (both two of the hottest cities in northeast CO in the summer) and those cities have the same type of landscaping as Denver so I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that climate differences are the determining factor in how Santa Fe looks vs. the CO cities. You could conceivably make that argument for Boulder vs. Santa Fe but Boulder seems to have more xeriscape then those other CO cities (although not nearly to the degree of Santa Fe).

Last edited by xeric; 05-01-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
45 inches here

Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I've never seen figures above the 15-16" value for Denver. Check this site out: Colorado

Here are some summaries (from there):

Boulder - 18.74
Denver - 15.44
Fort Collins - 15.11
Brighton - 14.19
Longmont - 13.53
Greeley - 12.03

Usually I've seen 15 to 16 inch totals for Denver and 14 to 15 inch totals for Santa Fe (from multiple sources). But I'll give you an extra half inch since my source above has Santa Fe listed as 13.84. Still, Santa Fe is wetter then Longmont and Greeley (both two of the hottest cities in northeast CO in the summer) and those cities have the same type of landscaping as Denver so I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that climate differences are the determining factor in how Santa Fe looks vs. the CO cities. You could conceivably make that argument for Boulder vs. Santa Fe but Boulder seems to have more xeriscape then those other CO cities (although not nearly to the degree of Santa Fe).
Interesting link. However, I have sources that give Greeley's precip as about 14"

Greeley, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(From NOAA)

Average Weather for Greeley, CO - Temperature and Precipitation
(14.71 ") This is the same source as my number from Santa Fe

Longmont:
Average Weather for Longmont, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Climate Longmont - Colorado - Climate graph

Also, the distribution of the precip is different in these Front Range cities than in Santa Fe, with most FR precip in the spring and summer; whereas SF's is mostly late summer. This does affect growing conditions.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I don't think front yards are over-rated, as I believe they are valuable for a number of reasons:
1. Add a point of difference for a home
2. Provide a creative outlet for the homeowner
3. Provide a meeting place for neighborhood kids to play on
4. Provide a way to express oneself
5. An easy way for some people to get outside and a bit of exercise

I have a yard right now, did not have a yard before I had kids, and don't expect to have a yard when the kids move out. For me, it depends on my stage in life, whether a front yard is valuable. I am not a fan of yard-work, but I do it as I believe it is better for my family right now.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't think front yards are over-rated, as I believe they are valuable for a number of reasons:

I have a yard right now, did not have a yard before I had kids, and don't expect to have a yard when the kids move out. For me, it depends on my stage in life, whether a front yard is valuable. I am not a fan of yard-work, but I do it as I believe it is better for my family right now.
i'll just go ahead and give you the predictable response from the usual suspects. I live a (insert timed distance of 1-5 minutes) from a park, which is just like having a yard. I feel that its better to be in park where you around other people to have social interaction instead of being locked up inside your (stereotypical) mcmansion.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

I agree with all of these reasons, esp. #1, 2, and 4. Front yards also provide a nice separation from the street and sidewalk, which is also public space.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
i'll just go ahead and give you the predictable response from the usual suspects. I live a (insert timed distance of 1-5 minutes) from a park, which is just like having a yard. I feel that its better to be in park where you around other people to have social interaction instead of being locked up inside your (stereotypical) mcmansion.
No, I would not have said that...you haven't bothered to read my responses! Don't I count?!

What I would have said lawns are artificial and unnatural, often requiring (or rather encouraging) chemicals and noisy power tools, ruining the neighborhood. There's a culture and mentality of a "perfect green lawn" which symbolizes domination over nature. And large expense of green lawn are boring, land which could have been left to nature or landscaped. For example look at the lawns here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't have a problem with front lawns, in moderation.

Here are a couple examples of front lawns I consider to be excessive and wasteful in my hometown:
Jackson Township, OH - Google Maps

Perry Township, OH - Google Maps
Awful in my mind. Why does he need such a large front yard? It's boring looking and I can't see what the use is. All this land that could have been left to nature...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Front yards also provide a nice separation from the street and sidewalk, which is also public space.
Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I don't really get the appeal of a "nice" separation between the sidewalk. I like that houses in my area have little separation in my neighborhood in my mind, makes for a better streetscape. And in my old place, it was more fun to have my place close to the street with little front yard. My room fronted the street, and it was easy to watch people go by and neighbors (that I talked to) go in and out. I'm glad our yard was small.

While I liked JR_C's photo, I think the houses would have looked a bit better if the houses had a shorter lawn and were closer to the street and landscaped a bit. Could still have a lawn in the back.

I like the front layout in photos #3 and #4 a bit better than the front yard of JR_C's photo.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, I would not have said that...you haven't bothered to read my responses! Don't I count?!

What I would have said lawns are artificial and unnatural, often requiring (or rather encouraging) chemicals and noisy power tools, ruining the neighborhood. There's a culture and mentality of a "perfect green lawn" which symbolizes domination over nature. And large expense of green lawn are boring, land which could have been left to nature or landscaped. For example look at the lawns here:

Awful in my mind. Why does he need such a large front yard? It's boring looking and I can't see what the use is. All this land that could have been left to nature...
What is with this mentality that everything has to be small. If a house is more than 1000 sq feet, its too much, if you have a patch of grass that is bigger than 2x2 feet its too much. Its like having space is the worst thing in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning