U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM

78 posts, read 236,026 times

Advertisements

I'm going to major in environment and sustainability, a subset of geography, in Vancouver. I was going to be a painter originally but have a strong interest/passion in ameliorating the environment as well as the quality of urban living. I am not a very good public speaker and prefer to work autonomously, so am not sure being an urban planner would be the best fit.
I also plan to take up this career in the city of Vancouver. If not urban planning, what would be a great 'green' career to go into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,589,829 times
Fixing up old buildings--the greenest buildings is one that's already built!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 PM

394 posts, read 1,378,135 times
Hey OP...I am actually considering a change myself. I am scheduled in a high-impact field at UCLA in Psychology, but as time goes on my love for design and the impact on a macro level seems to be taking a precedence to dealing with psychology. Luckily, psychology is a nice gateway degree to any direction...minus investment banker.

So the question is, what do you want to do? How do you want to impact. Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook...watch the joke from Seinfield that comes up easily with google on a search of "architect vs city planner" and of course, take a deep breath. Most people do nothing what their degree speciality was in anyway. Here in Santa Monica, I interviewed for school a lady who is the Vice President of the company who hired our contracted company, a Business Improvement District next to the world famous pier...and her? She was a BA in Literature. So fret not, my friend, and each of us should make contact in the next few years...

I have been interested and studied...

1. Architecture
2. Urban Planning
3. Psychology
4. ??Holy Hell...what do I do now...??

To quote a former Harvard Law graduate I met in Key West who gave up the game to enjoy life..."Some of the most interesting people I know still don't know what they are to do with their life at 55..." He died...happy about a year ago.

Bueno Suerte to all of us...branching out into a career in a world with an unknown but exciting future...

Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,592,687 times
I would recommend doing something where you can actually earn a living. Environment and sustainability can not possibly be a marketable degree. Don't you have parents telling you this?

Besides, you can always save the world on the weekend, and much more effectively with money in your pocket.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,513,285 times
If you are shy and want to work autonomously, I would think cautiously about Urban Planning or Architecture, as these professions are all about communication. Both involve bringing various entities together to accomplish very complex tasks. This is not to say that there aren't architects who do not speak well in public, there are many, but their careers are hampered significantly by this. Something more specialized like Landscape Architecture might be a little better in that you aren't necessarily in the lead of a project, but you still will need to present your work at some level.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM

58 posts, read 178,491 times
HiFi...really, are you aware about this whole climate change thing...with the massively expanding human population who often cares more about money and their own happiness than its effect on the resources/earth/natural habitats/the waste it creates? I thing going into figuring out how to live sustainably is something a lot more people should be putting their heads together on. It's not as simple as recycling. Nature is very complicated, and what we do to it in what can seem minor ways can have all kinds of unexpected effects. Just think about the possibility of the ocean's circulation patterns reversing: Shutdown of thermohaline circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 PM

58 posts, read 178,491 times
Thanks Ghostgecko and Stevo for the feedback. Good points. I'm from Santa Monica too, small world
Something that does seem rather autonomous I've become more aware of, for any other introverts out there, is GIS - geographical information systems...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,874,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycurious View Post
I'm going to major in environment and sustainability, a subset of geography, in Vancouver. I was going to be a painter originally but have a strong interest/passion in ameliorating the environment as well as the quality of urban living. I am not a very good public speaker and prefer to work autonomously, so am not sure being an urban planner would be the best fit.
I also plan to take up this career in the city of Vancouver. If not urban planning, what would be a great 'green' career to go into?
I have similar college and career aspirations for what you said.

I also have a lot of interest for Green Sustainability Careers.

For college, I am majoring in Sustainable Architecture and a minor in Environmental Studies.

I have plenty of vision and aptitude for those related subjects, and also for other parts of life. I had to decide on what I should focus on the most, and where to direct my energy and productivity. It appears you are going through a similar process.

My plan A career plan is to become an architect for innovative, high quality, plenty of character architecture projects.

However, my plan B career plan is very different and that is to open up an independent café/espresso bar with a nice ambience, free wifi, plenty of seating, excellent neighborhood location, large enough space. Other than coffee/tea products, I would also sell plenty of desserts, ice cream, and some restaurant meals.

I am very idealistic but also realistic.

You would find this to be a useful website link that contains a wealth of information for all of the possibilities in Green Sustainability Careers: Explore Green Careers - CareerOneStop

In the World forum, you asked about all of the best cities in the world based on your college+career plans, and for specific characteristics in quality of life.

There is plenty of excellent inviting options for that in other areas of the world, but Vancouver definitely is one of the best places in the world for what you are looking for. That includes your college and career plans. Vancouver has an impressive and magnificent urban scenery meets nature scenery vibe, a very comfortable and cozy city with a high quality of life.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 11-05-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or