Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
You cant name any nightlife other than bars/clubs in Brooklyn?

Thought so.

Next.
o wait now you want to include the other topics??

hahah i can name clubs all over brooklyn right now. im lazy to type so ill send you some websites right now so you can view it yourself.

7days7nights.com is one site that shows you what brooklyn has to offer for the caribbean, and reggae seen all alone.

Dont test me it isnt working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
as far as bars go i dont need to name no bars cause i dont go to bars duhhhh, i can name plenty of clubs since thats what i do. Still trying to figure out how bars alone is the sum of my argument about brooklyns nightlife.

And this character has the nerve to talk about reading comprehension.

And the switching of the topics to degrade the boroughs of nyc continue. Now he wants to solely focuse on bars to prove a cheap point. YAWWWNNN.

Im not asking to name bars, im asking to name other aspects of nightlife
that one would be doing at 4am in Brooklyn.

You said it.

Reading. Comprehension.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 PM

btw i have plenty of club locations in brooklyn right now. That 1 sight right their is just 1. so please lets not fool ourselves here.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM

303 posts, read 579,017 times
Im a Chicagoan and I like Brooklyn allot. I like that feeling of a city within a city.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i can party in bk till 4 30 in the am which isnt seen in Chicago, and according to city-data L.a neither.

Bars/clubs....

WHAT ELSE?

Simple question.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I know--I'm from Los Angeles.

I'm not sure how silly Bajan's core elimination thing was--it was just another frame of reference for arguing NYC against other cities. If you took out Manhattan (NYC's core and then some) and then compared it to other US cities with their analogous areas taken out, how would these places fare? The argument's been put up before that NYC is all Manhattan, and in that respect, it's an arguable point that a lot of cities have their main stuff located in the core (kind of predictable).
This is a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Nothing. Everyone knows Brooklyn is a highly urban environment. That's not in dispute. What is in dispute is this notion (which has been asserted on more than one occasion) that Brooklyn, by itself, has as much or more going on as hub cities like San Francisco and Chicago. That's beyond far-fetched.
Really? Sure Brooklyn doesn't have as much retail as some of the other cities but you think it's far - fetched to compare? Okay, please hold.

Quote:
Pretty much.

It went from Brooklyn being more urban to it somehow holding a candle to other cities in amenities and attractions...
Lol, wait for it.

Quote:
Brooklyn is not more urban than Manhattan, Chicago, Philly or SF.

Taking their CBD out but not Brooklyn's? Yeah, but thats a ridiculous premise that gives Brooklyn a major handicap vs. the others.
OKay. You see what A LOT of you (some not all) don't understand is what it means to have urbanity. So I guess I'll explain. Let's just start like this take away Manhattan (because that's the core) let's also take away Downtown Brooklyn, BK's core and CBD. Now let's take away the core/downtown areas of the places you listed, SF, Chicago, L.A. (lol).

Are you following with me? Ok now please tell me how Brooklyn can't be compared when it comes to urbanity when looking at it from this perspective? I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR NATIONAL CHAINS of retail, Wal-Marts (sorry we don't have those) and Malls (and only a few of these, in the entire city). But outside of your city cores no one is near Brooklyn except Manhattan, the only place above it. Public transit as an example anyone?

We can even do neighborhood comparisons or whatever you need to do but it's clear Brooklyn can and does outshine cities outside of their cores, it's a fact.

Fort Green Vs. . .

Park Slope Vs. . .

Williamsburg Vs. . .

Boerum Hill Vs. . .

I could go on but the point is when people discredit just the 'neighborhood' factors of a place you're discrediting what really makes up 'urbanity' in the first place. It's not about tourist attractions, business hours, etc because that's all temporary. Furthermore you guys will have to come up with something better in a few years. I'm sure you don't know about the development happening in Brooklyn.

Oh and Ray, You can still laugh at BK for not having an Apple store. I'm still mad at that too, but 'supposedly' it's coming sooner than expected. And It's probably going to be Downtown or by the arena.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Bars/clubs....

WHAT ELSE?
now your avoiding.

i just sent you a sight a few post up their that shows you the massive amount of clubs in brooklyn for just 1 ethnic group alone. while your at it you mught as well check out the clubs they have for the latino section(lots of bronx, and jersey clubs as well)

for someone to say theirs no nightlife in nyc outside of manhattan is just living in fantasy land.

like i live here, and normally participate in night time activities, and this poster is trying to tell me that i cant??

if i were you id learn instead of acting smart.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
This is a good place to start.

Really? Sure Brooklyn doesn't have as much retail as some of the other cities but you think it's far - fetched to compare? Okay, please hold.

Lol, wait for it.

OKay. You see what A LOT of you (some not all) don't understand is what it means to have urbanity. So I guess I'll explain. Let's just start like this take away Manhattan (because that's the core) let's also take away Downtown Brooklyn, BK's core and CBD. Now let's take away the core/downtown areas of the places you listed, SF, Chicago, L.A. (lol).

Are you following with me? Ok now please tell me how Brooklyn can't be compared when it comes to urbanity when looking at it from this perspective? I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR NATIONAL CHAINS of retail. But outside of your city cores no one is near Brooklyn except Manhattan. Public transit anyone?

We can even do neighborhood comparison or whatever you need to do but it's clear Brooklyn can and does outshine cities outside of their cores, it's a fact.

Fort Green Vs. . .

Park Slope Vs. . .

Williamsburg Vs. . .

Boerum Hill Vs. . .

I could go on but the point is when people discredit just the 'neighborhood' factors of a place you're discrediting what really makes up 'urbanity' in the first place. It's not about tourist attractions, business hours, etc because that's all temporary. Furthermore you guys will have to come up with something better in a few years. I'm sure you don't know about the development happening in Brooklyn.

Oh and Ray, You can still laugh at BK for not having an Apple store. I'm still mad at that too, but 'supposedly' it's coming sooner than expected. And It's probably going to be Downtown or by the arena.

He took out the entire Chicago CBD (Loop and Near North Side) and also most of the Northside, which is a much larger area than Brooklyn, so youd have to take out the surrounding neighborhoods around downtown Brooklyn (FG, Wburg, BH).

Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
downtown Brooklyn does not compare to the CBDs in any of the other cities mentioned.
Agree. However, that is not what you typed in your post I responded to. That may be what you meant but not what you typed.

Chicago "downtown" more urban than Brooklyn "downtown" - by a fairly large gap
Chicago "entire city" less urban than Brooklyn "entire borough" - by a fairly large gap

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM

idk why anyone is even paying mind to this character. he is clearly starting a fake battle here. No1 claimed brooklyn could hold a candle to these cities so why on earth is anyone responding to him.

Now he wants me to name clubs and bars in Brooklyn because he strongly believes their isnt any. lmaoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning