Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,711,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah that's it, a bunch of strange unrelated videos is farrrr more relevant than actual statistics. LOL

Actually is a funny concept when inclusion and exclusion criteria dont match the real world, now to me that is strange and unrelated actually in that it really doesnt reflect reality. Or is that the definition of delusional or to create a fantacy world for ones own personal edification.

Hmmm may be on to something here

I will discuss with local highly acclaimed health facilities for further investigation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Yeah that's it, a bunch of strange unrelated videos is farrrr more relevant than actual statistics. LOL
Does anybody actually watch any of those videos he posts?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM

36,925 posts, read 38,882,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
That's the thing, I think most Americans are rooting for a Detroit comeback. I know I am, I always find myself hoping that it turns into the next "it" spot and reinvents itself. It's a place with about 6 million people when Windsor is factored in. Just imagine the potential of a place with architecture in a unique condition like that come back to life. Not to mention one of the worlds leading transnational trade posts and along the NAFTA corridor.

I've always said that Los Angeles & Detroit in the 21st century could swap their niche industries and thrive off of it. Los Angeles can make the automobile industry so much more powerful by being based on the west coast where its the largest port and China is the largest buyer of American cars outside of the United States. Detroit and its vicinity have the scenery and architecture to pull off a Hollywood too.

I regress though both cities do their industries just right but it would be an interesting idea, I suppose.

On Minneapolis, its sort of the Seattle or Boston of the Midwest just smaller and its coming along pretty well. It's just at a measurable size disadvantage compared to Chicago.
Yea, I'm all for Detroit. Funny you mention Windsor--there's the Quebec City-Windsor corridor that sort of operates like the Northeast Corridor for the US. Detroit's just across the river from Windsor and it'd be amazing if Detroit could be made part of that corridor with a further extension out to Chicago. Of course, the Detroit part isn't very useful if there's not a mass transit system or a particularly healthy economy, but it could help.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,531,389 times
Some seem to be missing the significance contained in top 50 universities list: 10 of the top 33 nationally (and 10 of top 50 globally) are in a single state comprising 12% of domestic population. The fact most of those are relatively younger, public schools is even more remarkable.

Carry on.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Eh. A butt kicking's a butt kicking. And when you worship at the altar of status, you need to fully prostrate.
I guess so, guess slave drivers and internment camp keepers should get some respect and all that. Makes sense.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,972,804 times
Anyone else think this becoming a creepy topic now or is that just me?

We're now talking about concentration camps and all these weird things and this guy is going mad posting videos of old geezers in Congress and wallstreet.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM

36,630 posts, read 67,196,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Some seem to be missing the significance contained in top 50 universities list: 10 of the top 33 nationally (and 10 of top 50 globally) are in a single state comprising 12% of domestic population. The fact most of those are relatively younger, public schools is even more remarkable.

Carry on.
For whomever might be wondering what your talking about:

Northeast without NY CSA in Bold Red
West Coast in Bold Blue

Top 50 Universities in the World
Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2012
1 Harvard University
2 Stanford University
3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
4 University of California, Berkeley
5 University of Cambridge
6 California Institute of Technology
7 Princeton University
8 Columbia University
9 University of Chicago
10 University of Oxford
11 Yale University
12 University of California, Los Angeles
13 Cornell University
14 University of Pennsylvania
15 University of California, San Diego
16 University of Washington
17 The Johns Hopkins University
18 University of California, San Francisco
19 University of Wisconsin-Madison
20 The University of Tokyo
21 University College London
22 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
23 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
24 The Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
25 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
26 Kyoto University
27-tied New York University
27-tied University of Toronto
29 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
30 Northwestern University
31 Washington University in St Louis
32 Rockefeller University
33 University of Colorado at Boulder
34 University of California, Santa Barbara
35 University of Texas at Austin
36 Duke University
37 University of Paris Sud(Paris 11)
38 University of Maryland, College Park
39 University of British Columbia
40 The University of Manchester
41 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
42-tied Karolinka Institute
42-tied Pierre & Marie Curie University-Paris 6
44 University of Copenhagen
45 University of California, Irvine
46 University of Southern California
47 University of California, Davis
48 The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
49 Pennsylvania State University-University Park
50 Vanderbilt University

Academic Ranking of World Universities | ARWU | First World University Ranking | Shanghai Ranking
Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2012| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2012 | World University Ranking - 2012

Notice how their methodology is void of fluff and crap like US News' ranking:

That 7 UCs make the World's Top 50 is extremely impressive, but considering the caliber of the faculty and student body, not a surprise(to us anyway).

Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
For whomever might be wondering what your talking about:

Northeast without NY CSA in Bold Red
West Coast in Bold Blue

Top 50 Universities in the World
Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2012
1 Harvard University
2 Stanford University
3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
4 University of California, Berkeley
5 University of Cambridge
6 California Institute of Technology
7 Princeton University
8 Columbia University
9 University of Chicago
10 University of Oxford
11 Yale University
12 University of California, Los Angeles
13 Cornell University
14 University of Pennsylvania
15 University of California, San Diego
16 University of Washington
17 The Johns Hopkins University
18 University of California, San Francisco
19 University of Wisconsin-Madison
20 The University of Tokyo
21 University College London
22 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
23 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
24 The Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
25 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
26 Kyoto University
27-tied New York University
27-tied University of Toronto
29 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
30 Northwestern University
31 Washington University in St Louis
32 Rockefeller University
33 University of Colorado at Boulder
34 University of California, Santa Barbara
35 University of Texas at Austin
36 Duke University
37 University of Paris Sud(Paris 11)
38 University of Maryland, College Park
39 University of British Columbia
40 The University of Manchester
41 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
42-tied Karolinka Institute
42-tied Pierre & Marie Curie University-Paris 6
44 University of Copenhagen
45 University of California, Irvine
46 University of Southern California
47 University of California, Davis
48 The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
49 Pennsylvania State University-University Park
50 Vanderbilt University

Academic Ranking of World Universities | ARWU | First World University Ranking | Shanghai Ranking
Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2012| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2012 | World University Ranking - 2012

Notice how their methodology is void of fluff and crap like US News' ranking:

That 7 UCs make the World's Top 50 is extremely impressive, but considering the caliber of the faculty and student body, not a surprise(to us anyway).
You should re-highlight the NYC CSA stuff (and why CSA instead of MSA in the first place). It looks nicer and is an actual comparison between the northeast and the west coast. And Cornell is not generally identified with NYC (nor are Princeton and Yale, but at least they are located within the CSA).

And maybe a disclaimer on how skewed this is towards large research universities with particular support for STEMs-type schools with very large student and faculty bodies (only one ranking is per capita and weights at 10%). Like, unless you're doing STEMs at the graduate level, then these rankings are less helpful.

These are all definitely good schools though most of the undergrads I've known from most of the UCs were/are remarkably underwhelming while the grad students are generally amazing and similarly unimpressed by most of the undergrads.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-17-2012 at 05:43 PM..

22,379 posts, read 38,711,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post

Carry on.
Actually the CA public universities have trully been a force, really in the last 30 years have become some of the best institutions in the world. Honestly I truly do find this remarkable for the speed and quality developed so quickly, wuite remarkable. It actually one of the aspects that the WC (CA especially) and the NE share.

This along with many other reasons are why to me to these areas still and will continue to be the most well rounded into the future. I love both coasts honestly, just not all the people but I suppose that is everyplace

2,076 posts, read 3,646,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Anyone else think this becoming a creepy topic now or is that just me?

We're now talking about concentration camps and all these weird things and this guy is going mad posting videos of old geezers in Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning