Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,972,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So what? Philly is much more urban than Seattle, its core felt stronger and just felt like a more bustling city in general. This is rather bizarre.
Yeah that's fine, I know Phily is urban, I've seen it and its an urban place, has a lot of "urban" going for it, I guess. There are hundreds of urban cities around the world but not all of them can make a case about being very important because being urban is just about the only things they have going for them, see a place like Nanjing its both urban and historic.

btw I think Phily is very important but I just see it a tilt above Seattle and Atlanta for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,711,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I know Phily as much as you likely know Seattle and that's as a tourist. Am I right? I have been to Seattle a few dozen times and its the first place on my short list outside of California. I'm also a big Seattle booster so I'm just as biased as you are as a Phily booster, so that settles our biases. That's another point, you cant really continue to sell how wonderful your location is close to NYC and DC in one thread when its to your advantage but complain about it in another. Sucks that NYC is poaching you Phily folks, I feel for ya, I really do because I thought the folks in Phily were some of the best you could meet anywhere but that's just how things are. NYC is the bigger city and it has the strings to pull Phily's surroundings to its will and that will never change but weren't you talking about how great your BosWash corridor is just 14 pages ago?

So why would you mind now? Seattle is the capital of its PNW empire and there's no competition and you cant really blame Seattle for its blessed isolation and space.

I think it would be interesting if you made that Seattle, Phily, Atlanta, and Miami thread and asked folks to rate them from most important to least going from now and into the next 20 years.

You mean your report from 2008?

I'm not sweating much bruh.

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Seattle for business, at the time very frequently (over a 5 year period I probably made 50 or more trips), much less in the last 5 years as I am there maybe once or twice a year now
outside of CvC I am actually pretty tough on Philly to be honest. i moved away for a while and do appreciate it more now than when I was younger.

Why would you be sweating, just dont understand your position, doesnt make sense to me so I asked. Thought I might learn something I missed but I guess not

On NYC I have always said for Philly its a blessing (though more blessing thatn curse as the curse parts are more intangibles quite honestly) and curse, no argument there though. In terms of Census cut lines it absolutely doesnt impact reality, that is a non starter

If you want to ask the question/thread be my guest

And on its isolation why would I blame it, I may not personally like being that isolated but why blame it. Cities arent people they develop and prosper for a number of reasons. I just didnt understand your rationale is all, guess the booster thing makes the most sense though so ok

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
I actually like Brooklyn better than Manhattan in a lot of ways, though Manhattan obviously has more amnetities.
I didn't get to experience Brooklyn last time I was in NYC all that much but did stay there at night - got to see a pretty nice stretch of the city on the Q train going into Manhattan. Enjoyed staying there and liked the neighborhoods though from what I hear on here the Q doesn't pass through many of the "hot" neighborhoods in Brooklyn. From what I see and hear on this site it seems like the part of NYC I would enjoy living in most though it is hard to tell though with limited experience in NYC.

I think where I was in Brooklyn was Sheepshead Bay, pretty interesting combo - the side streets were compact detached SFHs (sort of similar to what you see in LA in a much larger concentration, though different architectural aesthetic - something like this: brooklyn, ny - Google Maps) but then the commercial streets looked like this: brooklyn, ny - Google Maps

Also walking back from the train one night we walked past a crime scene, turns out about 20 minutes before some dude threw acid in another guy's face. Yikes!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Yeah that's fine, I know Phily is urban, I've seen it and its an urban place, has a lot of "urban" going for it, I guess. There are hundreds of urban cities around the world but not all of them can make a case about being very important because being urban is just about the only things they have going for them, see a place like Nanjing its both urban and historic.

btw I think Phily is very important but I just see it a tilt above Seattle and Atlanta for now.
I'm not sure about important either, don't care as much about that anyway. How is that relevant, aren't we talking about urbanity?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about important either, don't care as much about that anyway. How is that relevant, aren't we talking about urbanity?
Urbanity shurbanity, that topic died when the birdman started his eastcoast and westcoast fued with Montclair. lol

I feel the same way as you do, its not important, for me speaking I am talking of urbanity. I think of urbanity as a stage that works. Are you able to enjoy it in your city? Are there others enjoying it? Is there life and pedestrians? Problems solved.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,277,620 times
Quote:
I actually like Brooklyn better than Manhattan in a lot of ways, though Manhattan obviously has more amnetities.
Yeah, Brooklyn is the place to be right now. The real estate market is going through the roof, there are tons of great neighborhoods, European expats everywhere you look, the restaurant (and even nightlife) scene keeps getting better and better. Many people from Manhattan who would never have thought of moving to Brooklyn a few years ago are doing so in droves now. A penthouse apartment in Dumbo was listed recently for over $20 million and people are paying the kind of rents to live in certain parts of Brooklyn that are unheard of anywhere else in the country (including California). It's just hilarious to see a shm*ck from Pasadena who could never afford to live there turn up his nose at it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I used to spend quite a bit of time in Seattle for business, at the time very frequently (over a 5 year period I probably made 50 or more trips), much less in the last 5 years as I am there maybe once or twice a year now
outside of CvC I am actually pretty tough on Philly to be honest. i moved away for a while and do appreciate it more now than when I was younger.

Why would you be sweating, just dont understand your position, doesnt make sense to me so I asked. Thought I might learn something I missed but I guess not
You like California, I know you love California deep down, I can see it when I read your posts. Your love for LA increases by the day and everytime I read your post it occurs to me that its very possible in the next 5-10 years that might be moving to Santa Monica or LA. That may not happen but that's the vibe I'm getting on a post basis.

You think of Seattle as overrated but it offers everything you like. It has the urban pleasures you want, downtown, improving transit, scenery, diverse climate, food, culture, etc. So why not have it as a consideration?

I know you stated reasons why Phily's airport is limited but that fact still goes that its limited even compared to Seattle's. Airports are the gateways cities have with the world, the first thing that should be at the international level for all cities IMO. Seattle is also pulling as much foreign immigration as Phily and rivaling Phily's foreign born population. Seattle has the better GDP to population ratio and its GDP is surging twice as fast as Phily's. It just surpassed Miami and Detroit while being a smaller place by 1.5M. It has the brand recognition around the world especially in South Korea and Japan. It's got the cos and market capitalization. I think its very realistic to put Seattle in the same tier as Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Detroit.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Yeah, Brooklyn is the place to be right now. The real estate market is going through the roof, there are tons of great neighborhoods, European expats everywhere you look, the restaurant (and even nightlife) scene keeps getting better and better. Many people from Manhattan who would never have thought of moving to Brooklyn a few years ago are doing so in droves now. A penthouse apartment in Dumbo was listed recently for over $20 million and people are paying the kind of rents to live in certain parts of Brooklyn that are unheard of anywhere else in the country (including California). It's just hilarious to see a shm*ck from Pasadena who could never afford to live there turn up his nose at it.
It's no Brooklyn, but Old Town Pasadena is not exactly cheap either my friend. I'm not sure I could afford it...

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
You like California, I know you love California deep down, I can see it when I read your posts. Your love for LA increases by the day and everytime I read your post it occurs to me that its very possible in the next 5-10 years that might be moving to Santa Monica or LA. That may not happen but that's the vibe I'm getting on a post basis.

You think of Seattle as overrated but it offers everything you like. It has the urban pleasures you want, downtown, improving transit, scenery, diverse climate, food, culture, etc. So why not have it as a consideration?

I know you stated reasons why Phily's airport is limited but that fact still goes that its limited even compared to Seattle's. Airports are the gateways cities have with the world, the first thing that should be at the international level for all cities IMO. Seattle is also pulling as much foreign immigration as Phily and rivaling Phily's foreign born population. Seattle has the better GDP to population ratio and its GDP is surging twice as fast as Phily's. It just surpassed Miami and Detroit while being a smaller place by 1.5M. It has the brand recognition around the world especially in South Korea and Japan. It's got the cos and market capitalization. I think its very realistic to put Seattle in the same tier as Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Detroit.
Poor guy had to live in Thousand Oaks when he was out here. As a fellow former resident of that city I find it incredible he can even tolerate the LA area after living there.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
It's just hilarious to see a shm*ck from Pasadena who could never afford to live there turn up his nose at it.
RCL doesn't live in Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning