Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Infill Mr. Cucumber, infill. Yes, I know your name is Crumbler and not cucumber btw but can you blame a guy?

A Maturing L.A. Grows Up and In : Infill: Developers are now building in areas shunned in the past as single-family homes make way for multifamily projects. - Los Angeles Times

LA vigorously started to infill like crazy in the 80's and still continuous to do so today. Rome wasn't built in one day and the efforts in the last 30 years are coming to fruition now.

Agree or disagree?
Interesting article. From the architecture in many neighborhoods you can definitely tell that LA infilled lot in the 80s and 90s.

Kind of a huge turning point in the make-up of the city when they started to demolish the SFH for those apartment buildings. Sort of like the turning point that was the passing of Measure R.

Interesting:

Quote:
In the city of Los Angeles, 92% of the new residential construction between 1980 and 1989 was in multiple units, according to Terry Bills of the population research unit of the Los Angeles County Regional Planning Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Cool. At the rate DC is booming, it will come within 50% of L.A.'s core density around the time we're all dropping dead from old age. Congrats.

DC proper will have a population density of over 13,000 by 2030. You can mark that down now. And DC's core will be between 50,000-60,000. You might want to catch up on what is happening in DC right now......

The return to the city has begun....

Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You know what's not misleading? Actual life experiences.
I've been to Los Angeles. Twice. Even visited the "urban core."

I thought it was spread out, had very little if any pedestrian traffic beyond Hollywood Boulevard, and had a quiet downtown. It's clear that it is a driving city. It was very different from Chicago (where I've now only been three times), which had an active and bustling downtown, pedestrian life, and lots of seamless, three dimensional walkable urbanity.

Even Lovehound, who has lived in Los Angeles his whole life, says LA is nothing like the way you described it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound
I haven't seen any pedestrian life and our transit culture involves cars (or trucks or SUVs). It's a recurring topic on the Los Angeles forum "Can I live in L.A. without a car and utilize public transit?" Yeah, sure, you can make it fine in Los Angeles using urban transit, provided you have a car for the other 95% of the time.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC proper will have a population density of over 13,000 by 2030. You can mark that down now. And DC's core will be between 50,000-60,000. You might want to catch up on what is happening in DC right now......

The return to the city has begun....
Yeah there's no reason to put DC down.

When you say core, what exactly do you mean? Downtown and environs? And what do you estimate it is at right now?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Zero lot is the definition of urbanity. You can't have extreme urbanity without it. Also, I agree L.A. is massively undercounted since most people living there shouldn't be in this country to begin with so obviously they were not counted. I could easily see an extra 1 million that were not counted.

As for urbanity, I think people on this site need to deflate their reliance on population density to define urbanity. Most cities and villages in third world countries have mind blowing density because of the same reason's L.A. has such high population density. The real question is whether these area's are built to have that population density? To me, I admire population density when an area is built to have it based on American upper class standards. That means no more than two people living in a one bed room etc. Also, how appealing the high density area's are. Why would I want to visit the high density areas in L.A.? The low density area's that meet American standards of living are much more appealing. This is a stark contrast to Manhattan, DC, Philly, and Boston where the densest areas are the most appealing. I think people lose focus of what they are comparing many times. Pay attention to demographics when looking at these things. Are area's poor? Would I want to visit this area? Etc. etc.....
We all know how much of a homer MDballstar is, if DC wasn't such a pathetic city for density we all know this guy would be raving about how dense DC is LOLLLL give me break brutha

Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I thought it was spread out, had very little if any pedestrian traffic beyond Hollywood Boulevard, and had a quiet downtown. It's clear that it is a driving city. It was very different from Chicago (where I've now only been three times), which had an active and bustling downtown, pedestrian life, and lots of seamless, three dimensional walkable urbanity.

Even Lovehound, who has lived in Los Angeles his whole life, says LA is nothing like the way you described it.
I just find it interesting your views differ from 1. the OP of that pedestrian-intensity list you posted just a few pages back, 2. just about every LA poster on City Vs. City, 3. probably about 60% of posters on the LA forum, 4. probably around 50% of the people that don't live in LA but post on C vs. C

Yet you take Lovehound's word as gospel. Fair enough.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

^^^The guy who said he's been to LA twice is a bold face liar, me and another poster once kept asking him if he's ever been to LA before, he said yes, and then we both asked him where? He wouldn't answer our question for a couple of days until he cracked and said "everywhere" LOL yea ok buddy, that is why the guy relies so much on google maps and other's opinions cause he's never been

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I thought it was spread out, had very little if any pedestrian traffic beyond Hollywood Boulevard, and had a quiet downtown.
So you didn't think Broadway in Downtown LA, Venice Beach, DT Santa Monica, WESTLAKE, etc.. didn't have much pedestrian activity? All of those areas are fairly crowded with pedestrians.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
We all know how much of a homer MDballstar is, if DC wasn't such a pathetic city for density we all know this guy would be raving about how dense DC is LOLLLL give me break brutha
Yet, what are the demographics of L.A's core? Case and point. Unlike you, I'm having a conversation in academia. You are just spitting phrases.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So you didn't think Broadway in Downtown LA, Venice Beach, DT Santa Monica, WESTLAKE, etc.. didn't have much pedestrian activity? All of those areas are fairly crowded with pedestrians.
He's never been
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning