Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 01:39 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,622,128 times

Advertisements

[quote=scrantiX;25399945]LOL you're to good summers, too good. Just when I think to myself that I could use a laugh for the day because tomorrow is going to suck, you come through for me. Just to good.

You just keep telling yourself that, no one to back you up, no NY Times, no nothing but you just keep trying to convince the world summers. You got all the other Philadelphians on your side but they aren't the types that like facts in the first place.

OH! On the rise again!! Sorry I don't see the hype over growing 300K and I rounded up this decade as on the rise. Rising from what? 6th place to 8th place? LOL [quote]

Philadelphia has taken remarkable strides in just 12 years. In the 90's Philly was not a great place. Gaining 300k for a city that was dying is a remarkable thing. Philly should be (and we are) very proud of that as should the US since Philly is one of the US's most historic and best cities. Coming back from decades of decline is wonderful, and I think you are being snobbish to not praise even that. If Detroit started gaining population next census that would be fantastic and everyone would be in awe, why are you downplaying Philadelphia's success? Seeing large swaths (miles) of the city being revitalized and rebuilt/ redeveloped is a fantastic site. Even today Philadelphia has more construction going on then both LA and San Francisco. Nothing significant aside from LA Live has been built in Downtown LA in over 20 years.

Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the US and it's doing a pretty good job of holding onto that spot in the age of suburban sprawled cities with 500 square mile city proper borders.

Right... but Every Philadelphia team has been to the playoffs countless times since 2000 and the Phillies went back to the World Series again in 2009. Flyers are one of the best teams in Hockey and still young so they will be good for years to come. Sixers are one of the best teams in Basketball and are still young so will be good for years to come. Union are heading to the playoffs, easily. Eagles are the only team in Philly that is notorious for sucking. Watch as we win the Superbowl this year though.

Never said LA has bad teams.

Only happening place is Center City? Lol. Well for one, LA does not have a very happening downtown, at all. Certainly not top 5, like Center City. Second, have you heard of the Northwest (Manayunk, Chestnut Hill), Northeast, South (Queen Village, Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Italian Market), Lower North (Northern Liberties, Fairmount), University City. There are plenty of areas that are happening outside of Center City.

You're right, LA can handle a higher population and I think it is evident due to it's 468 square miles
Philly is a city capable of holding 3 million max with only 135 square miles city proper. Philly metro is chumped from numbers due to it's close proximity in the Northeast to other cities primarily NY. I wouldn't want more than 3 million anyways. LA does not have better infrastructure though, not even close. Philly is denser, more walkable, better public transportation, less car oriented.

Of course LA has more pedestrians because MORE PEOPLE LIVE THERE

You can drive ALL of the 135 square miles of the city and not have broken urbanity, something you can't do in LA. Hell you can drive into most suburbs and not see broken urbanity in Philly metro

More urban? No. Never said it was un-urban. Just not as urban as Philly. Again LA has many areas that look very suburban WITHIN the city limits. Something Philly has very minimal of

Nice building density. Again, the majority of the city looks suburban.

Again. I said the Wilshire Corridor and Downtown are dense... I think it's funny that you show me a picture of that but you neglect the miles and miles of Suburban city sprawl of LA. Philadelphia has SUBURBS that are denser then that. You're confusing highrises with building density OUTSIDE OF DOWNTOWN which is what I've been talking to the entire time.

Let me show you what building density looks like

All sizes | northeast philly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | all of center city, philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | _MG_8715 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | _MG_8477 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Aerial Photos - Page 26 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lol. SEPTA is ****? One of the best transportation systems in the country? Okay

I can see how you could call it **** compared to MTA but we're comparing SEPTA and Metro. Claiming metro is better than SEPTA is a joke. Metro is a very very weak public transit system for a city the size of LA and adding ONE more line is not going to do much to a metro FILLED with holes that are not serviced AT ALL by Metro. Philly has only a few places in the entire metro that is not serviced by SEPTA or NJ Transit or PATCO or Amtrak.

Good public transit is something car oriented LA CAN'T familiarize itself with.

I will enjoy seeing all of those cities surpass Philadelphia in anything, which most likely won't happen. Philadelphia has been in the top 5 since the beginning of this country, number 1 in the beginning, number 2 for a century. Philadelphia is doing good holding onto it's 5th place spot when people thought Phoenix would surpass it in the 2010 census (and that still hasn't happened as recent population counts released this year have shown) In the days of suburban sprawled cities with 500 square miles, Philly is doing just fine.

I'm not failing at anything. What you're failing to do is convince anyone that LA is more urban than Philly which is funny. We all know what LA looks like, you're not fooling anyone.

Us Philadelphian's can't see the facts? HAHA. Funny coming from someone who will pick West Coast cities over ANY OTHER CITY in the US for everything.

I literally saw a post from you one time that was 5 best cities in the US

it went something like this-
1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Seattle
5. New York City

Right, but WE'RE the ones who can't see the facts. Ok

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 07-30-2012 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,860,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Great post Summers! It's not really worth your time to have legitimate converstions with posters like that but nevertheless, you're a major reason Philly trolls don't last long on this site. Let the countdown begin, 10...9...8...

LA and Seattle more urban than Philly? Welp, I now know of one person that thinks so, haha.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
[quote=Summersm343;25400829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

Philadelphia has taken remarkable strides in just 12 years. In the 90's Philly was not a great place. Gaining 300k for a city that was dying is a remarkable thing. Philly should be (and we are) very proud of that as should the US since Philly is one of the US's most historic and best cities. Coming back from decades of decline is wonderful, and I think you are being snobbish to not praise even that. If Detroit started gaining population next census that would be fantastic and everyone would be in awe, why are you downplaying Philadelphia's success? Seeing large swaths (miles) of the city being revitalized and rebuilt/ redeveloped is a fantastic site. Even today Philadelphia has more construction going on then both LA and San Francisco. Nothing significant aside from LA Live has been built in Downtown LA in over 20 years.

Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the US and it's doing a pretty good job of holding onto that spot in the age of suburban sprawled cities with 500 square mile city proper borders.

Right... but Every Philadelphia team has been to the playoffs countless times since 2000 and the Phillies went back to the World Series again in 2009. Flyers are one of the best teams in Hockey and still young so they will be good for years to come. Sixers are one of the best teams in Basketball and are still young so will be good for years to come. Union are heading to the playoffs, easily. Eagles are the only team in Philly that is notorious for sucking. Watch as we win the Superbowl this year though.

Never said LA has bad teams.

Only happening place is Center City? Lol. Well for one, LA does not have a very happening downtown, at all. Certainly not top 5, like Center City. Second, have you heard of the Northwest (Manayunk, Chestnut Hill), Northeast, South (Queen Village, Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Italian Market), Lower North (Northern Liberties, Fairmount), University City. There are plenty of areas that are happening outside of Center City.

You're right, LA can handle a higher population and I think it is evident due to it's 468 square miles
Philly is a city capable of holding 3 million max with only 135 square miles city proper. Philly metro is chumped from numbers due to it's close proximity in the Northeast to other cities primarily NY. I wouldn't want more than 3 million anyways. LA does not have better infrastructure though, not even close. Philly is denser, more walkable, better public transportation, less car oriented.

Of course LA has more pedestrians because MORE PEOPLE LIVE THERE

You can drive ALL of the 135 square miles of the city and not have broken urbanity, something you can't do in LA. Hell you can drive into most suburbs and not see broken urbanity in Philly metro

More urban? No. Never said it was un-urban. Just not as urban as Philly. Again LA has many areas that look very suburban WITHIN the city limits. Something Philly has very minimal of

Again. I said the Wilshire Corridor and Downtown are dense... I think it's funny that you show me a picture of that but you neglect the miles and miles of Suburban city sprawl of LA. Philadelphia has SUBURBS that are denser then that. You're confusing highrises with building density OUTSIDE OF DOWNTOWN which is what I've been talking to the entire time.

Let me show you what building density looks like

All sizes | northeast philly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | all of center city, philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | _MG_8715 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | _MG_8477 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Aerial Photos - Page 26 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lol. SEPTA is ****? One of the best transportation systems in the country? Okay

I can see how you could call it **** compared to MTA but we're comparing SEPTA and Metro. Claiming metro is better than SEPTA is a joke. Metro is a very very weak public transit system for a city the size of LA and adding ONE more line is not going to do much to a metro FILLED with holes that are not serviced AT ALL by Metro. Philly has only a few places in the entire metro that is not serviced by SEPTA or NJ Transit or PATCO or Amtrak.

Good public transit is something car oriented LA CAN'T familiarize itself with.

I will enjoy seeing all of those cities surpass Philadelphia in anything, which most likely won't happen. Philadelphia has been in the top 5 since the beginning of this country, number 1 in the beginning, number 2 for a century. Philadelphia is doing good holding onto it's 5th place spot when people thought Phoenix would surpass it in the 2010 census (and that still hasn't happened as recent population counts released this year have shown) In the days of suburban sprawled cities with 500 square miles, Philly is doing just fine.

I'm not failing at anything. What you're failing to do is convince anyone that LA is more urban than Philly which is funny. We all know what LA looks like, you're not fooling anyone.

Us Philadelphian's can't see the facts? HAHA. Funny coming from someone who will pick West Coast cities over ANY OTHER CITY in the US for everything.

I literally saw a post from you one time that was 5 best cities in the US

it went something like this-
1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Seattle
5. New York City

For the record, LA is adding/extending 12 lines, not just one.

http://www.metro.net/measureR/images...fact_sheet.pdf

Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,936,929 times
My list:

#1 New York City.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...2,56.4,,0,3.83

No argument here. Perhaps the Opitome of "urbanity" the world over NYC is basically in a league of it's own in the US. Now, Worldwide I'll argue Tokyo and Paris are more urban than NYC but for the US, nobody touches the Big Apple.

#2 Chicago.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...157.26,,0,0.68

Downtown very Manhattanesque, though Chicago does sprawl in it's suburbs, what city doesn't? Chicago boasts the worlds best skyline and a robust urban fabric that is very hard to trump anywhere

#3 Philadelphia.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...12,112.26,,0,0

Much like New York or most other NE cities Philadelphia is quintessentially urban and compact.

#4 Los Angeles.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Los+A...58.28,,0,-0.67

I'm going to get banned for this I know it. Los Angeles despite it's unfair suburban reputation is more urban than most believe. In fact LA boasts the most densly populated Urban area in the US and it's also one of the largest Urban areas in the country. But whatever, continue to hate LA, it's the normal thing to do.

#5 San Francisco.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...12,159.35,,0,0

Often compared to NYC (why I haven't a clue ) SF is very compact and incredibly urban. I put it below Los Angeles because to me LA just has more of it. But SF does have some of the most urban 49 sq miles on earth.

To me these are the 5 most urban cities in the US.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,716,318 times
^^ Boston too but would agree on this set, order can be argued especially after NYC then Chicago IMHO

I do feel Philly is third but not by a lot

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

214 posts, read 671,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
I think Philly should be 2. and Chicago should be 3. After NY.
You're wrong.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you'd have to be blind not to see that Chicago is easily #2. And that's not a bad thing, but either you're a homer, or you're not being honest.

Chicago is as urban and dense as it gets after NYC. There's no point in arguing it. There's a reason that every human being you ask about big cities (outside of C-D) will say New York AND Chicago.

Stop being a homer/hater/troll.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,930,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
You're wrong.
Sorry to be so blunt, but you'd have to be blind not to see that Chicago is easily #2. And that's not a bad thing, but either you're a homer, or you're not being honest.
It debatable. You can make a legitimate case for either city to be #2.

Quote:
Chicago is as urban and dense as it gets after NYC. There's no point in arguing it. There's a reason that every human being you ask about big cities (outside of C-D) will say New York AND Chicago.
Yes Chicago is bigger than Philly but that doesn't mean Chicago is automatically more urban than Philly.

Quote:
Stop being a homer/hater/troll.
I don't see how that poster was being any of those three you claim.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM

940 posts, read 2,019,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Let me show you what building density looks like...
Not to defend a troll, but I do have to point out that Los Angeles actually has higher housing density over the great majority of its area compared to Philly. You can see the post I did on this subject here.

It's simply not true that LA is less densely built up than Philly. Here's a chart I did using census tracts and housing density. As you can see, only within the first couple miles of downtown (and a small section at 25 miles) does Philly have a higher housing density than LA:

What's more, this is only housing density. Los Angeles has a much higher population density than Philadelphia, mainly due to larger household sizes, low vacancies, and overcrowding--but the chart above shows that a lot of it simply has to do with structural density. Los Angeles is indeed built more densely than Philadelphia.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,936,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Not to defend a troll, but I do have to point out that Los Angeles actually has higher housing density over the great majority of its area compared to Philly. You can see the post I did on this subject here.

It's simply not true that LA is less densely built up than Philly. Here's a chart I did using census tracts and housing density. As you can see, only within the first couple miles of downtown (and a small section at 25 miles) does Philly have a higher housing density than LA:

What's more, this is only housing density. Los Angeles has a much higher population density than Philadelphia, mainly due to larger household sizes, low vacancies, and overcrowding--but the chart above shows that a lot of it simply has to do with structural density. Los Angeles is indeed built more densely than Philadelphia.
Most people see a lawn and automatically assume it's the suburbs. LA is VERY urban. A visit would help some of these people.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM

214 posts, read 671,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It debatable. You can make a legitimate case for either city to be #2.

Yes Chicago is bigger than Philly but that doesn't mean Chicago is automatically more urban than Philly.

I don't see how that poster was being any of those three you claim.
No, it's not. Step foot in one vs. the other. It's no contest.

There's only two places in the USA where you're overwhelmed by the city. One is in NYC (obviously) and one is in Chicago.

DC, Philly, SF are GREAT cities, but there's no place in any of them where you're surrounded and engulfed by the city.

You're a homer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning