Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Right now cars are the preferred method of travel for most US residents, but they are not subject to TSA-like security measures.
How many "car bomb" incidents would it take before they were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,661,089 times
There is no 3rd class in Indian Railways. please look at the classes again. and also the ticket prices of trains in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In Chicago, north suburbs, there is 1/2 day road. It's called that because it was a 1/2 days travel from there to Chicago back in the day.

Anyone crying about air travel and *gasp* having to take your shoes off needs a serious reality check. I recommend a 3 day train ride across India....3rd class.

You'll never complain again.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,931,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post

On balance flying is far more convenient. A train would take far too long and would be far, far more expensive.
Very vague and general statement. What kind of train are you talking about? Slow speed conventional rail or high-speed rail? It might be true if you're taking Amtrak but if you're taking the bullet train in Japan or the Eurostar in Europe that's a whole different ballgame. Also depends on how far you're going. In many cases, high speed rail is comparable or even faster than flying.

AVE Trains versus Flight Comparison

Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,824,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Between the airsickness, bad food (if it is even offered), cramped seats, poor customer service, endless delays and cancellations, having to remove your shoes at the security gate and who knows what other items of clothing, being felt up and degraded by a bunch of power-mad TSA agents, flying in the US has become a form of sadomasochism and torture.

But people are still largely opposed to high-speed rail? Go figure.

Top 10 reasons flying sucks

Top Ten Reasons Flying Sucks | CraveOnline

TSA abuses new mother (and a cop steps in to help them) :: News From Underground

and if that wasn't bad enough,

The Stunning John F. Kennedy International Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day « CBS New York

Oh brother. High speed rail bs? Isn't Europe's failing high rail system that they pump millions of dollars into proof enough that it's useless?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,429,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Very vague and general statement. What kind of train are you talking about? Slow speed conventional rail or high-speed rail? It might be true if you're taking Amtrak but if you're taking the bullet train in Japan or the Eurostar in Europe that's a whole different ballgame. Also depends on how far you're going. In many cases, high speed rail is comparable or even faster than flying.

AVE Trains versus Flight Comparison
Sorry, you don't know where I live so I'll be specific. I'm in Southern California. I'm traveling to New York at 7AM, not the red-eye. I'll arrive at about 3:30PM. A train couldn't do that.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,931,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Oh brother. High speed rail bs? Isn't Europe's failing high rail system that they pump millions of dollars into proof enough that it's useless?

As opposed to the money-losing US airline industry?

Airline industry profits to plunge in 2011 - Jun. 6, 2011

Eurostar profits show rail firm's fortunes on the rise | Mail Online

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,958,036 times
The thing about the airline industry is that the cost of tickets, when adjusted for inflation and removing the various airport taxes has gone down considerably, around 2 fold in Toronto where the various taxes and fees are some of the highest in the world. It's not surprising that the quality of service has gone down and the airlines are all struggling.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Sorry, you don't know where I live so I'll be specific. I'm in Southern California. I'm traveling to New York at 7AM, not the red-eye. I'll arrive at about 3:30PM. A train couldn't do that.
And nobody is Asserting that it would. However it could get you from downtown LA to downtown SF quicker than flying. This is the goal of HSR.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In Chicago, north suburbs, there is 1/2 day road. It's called that because it was a 1/2 days travel from there to Chicago back in the day.

Anyone crying about air travel and *gasp* having to take your shoes off needs a serious reality check. I recommend a 3 day train ride across India....3rd class.

You'll never complain again.
That is a misconception. It was actually in honor of an Indian Chief.
Half Day, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By horse and buggy it was probably several days.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,342,259 times
Quote:
You could get from downtown LA to downtown SF quicker than flying. This is the goal of HSR.
Are there really enough business travellers to make this worthwhile? I mean 90% of business could be done via telephone. It seems like this would just put downward pressure on whichever place between the stops that has a higher cost of living, just like highways between cities and suburbs but on a larger scale.

A HSR line between Las Vegas and LA is even stupider. Why should the entire state of CA subsidize Nevada's growth so a few people can gamble and even fewer can go to the beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning