Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,446,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For example, the average black person working in corporate America has to learn more about Tom Petty, Phish and movies like Juno than the average young white person working in corporate America has to learn about the Barcays, Con Funk Shun, or Mahogany.
I know enough about the Barkays to know that they were spelled with a "k"...

Also, I'd be willing to bet that most people under the age of 35, whether white, or black or Hispanic or Asian would be able to name three songs by the Barkays. Not even "Soul Finger" or "Son of Shaft"(I've got that stuff on vinyl and I was born in '79)...

On the other hand I was confused as hell, when I got a job in Hillsboro, Oregon out of college and when I went out with my co-workers I was the only person there who didn't know the lyrics to the Garth Brooks song "Friends in Low Places".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,696,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I know enough about the Barkays to know that they were spelled with a "k"...
lol, yeah, I did miss that one...

Oh the irony...

Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,894,348 times
When I was an undergraduate, I learned about gentrification from an academic setting, where it was presented as a bad thing. In the real world, I have to say that overall I think it's a neutral process.

First off, living in Pittsburgh, I've come to realize that there are some neighborhoods where it's unquestionably a positive. Take my own neighborhood, Lawrenceville. Prior to gentrification, it was one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, with 30% of the population over age 65. These people were literally dying off, and their children, by and large, were not moving into these houses, as they had already scattered throughout the suburbs or even across America. When the rowhouses go vacant, they either get bought by urban pioneers/fixed up into high-end rentals, or else get picked up by slumlords, with people from outside of the neighborhood moving in. Some sort of transition was inevitable. And this is far from the only case of this in the city - most neighborhoods which flipped were semi-depopulated white-working class areas, not the black neighborhoods.

Secondly, if there is nothing wrong with a streetcar suburb designed for the upper-middle class first becoming white-working class, then later becoming black/Latino/whatever, then there is nothing wrong with the process reversing itself. Yes, if it happens on a city-wide basis, and you end up with places like San Francisco where there are literally no affordable neighborhoods left, it can be an issue. But I think the rise and fall of communities in terms of desirability is a natural thing, not something to be feared.

Indeed, a gain using Pittsburgh as an example, the areas most heavily gentrified were generally in neighborhoods with either somewhat grand rowhouses or detatched brick houses of near mansion status. A working-class family can't afford to heat these properly, let alone maintain them and restore them, which means their fate would otherwise be being subdivided into apartments with the original architectural features totally erased.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,510,725 times
Quote:
And what causes the cultural clashes in the first place. It is a complex phenomenon because you're often dealing with gentrifiers (mostly white) who are not accustomed to accommodation. The best comparison I can come up with is the American female princess entitlement complex. There's no thought that, "Hey, maybe I can approach him," or "Hey, maybe I should pay for dinner." She's been so accustomed to getting things her way for so long that those considerations never enter her cerebral cortex. She finds the very notion that a woman should, say, buy her own engagement ring absolutely offensive (even though she gives the man nothing in return).

You guys should try that sometimes. Try explaining to a girl why women should buy their own engagement rings and watch the logic firewall get erected.

I bought my wife an engagement ring, and I didn't even own a rental house in Bloomingdale. If you can't afford a fancy one, get a cheaper one. And if you can't agree on this sort of thing, well, you aren't married yet.

By the way, I don't think I've heard the phrase "American Princess" in regard to these issues except as part of the phrase "Jewish American Princess" or "***". where it has strong misogynistic as well as antisemitic overtones.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
By the way, I don't think I've heard the phrase "American Princess" in regard to these issues except as part of the phrase "Jewish American Princess" or "***". where it has strong misogynistic as well as antisemitic overtones.
It's a bit of a dumb stereotype but only of a subculture of a certain demographic not everyone. I always thought it was equivalent to "valley girl" and not really anymore offensive.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Jewish-American princess stereotype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stereotypes in the United States | Jewish Women's Archive

It may that being a boomer, and Jewish, and strongly exposed to feminism, I've heard the critique of the "J-A-P" stereotype and its implications more than some folks have.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM

31,933 posts, read 34,428,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Why do you always find a way to inject Jewishness into every single one of your posts? It's like you're always looking for a reason to bring that up. That was the farthest thing from my mind when I made that analogy.

Urban Dictionary: princess complex

Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Why do you always find a way to inject Jewishness into every single one of your posts? It's like you're always looking for a reason to bring that up. That was the farthest thing from my mind when I made that analogy.

Urban Dictionary: princess complex

I think of several thousand posts Ive made on Urban planning, DC, and NoVa forums only a few have mentioned anything Jewish.

It does come up when you are complaining about white gentrifiers not assimilating to black culture, because blacks did not (with some rare exceptions) assimilate into the Jewish, Italian, or Irish culture of the areas they moved to. Folks move in, and they live according to their own culture - most especially if the demographic trends indicate that the old culture will be disappearing from the area shortly.

But I'm not sure if you really expect gentrifiers to learn black urban culture, or you're just in kvetchy mood because of something some "dbag" posted on your listserve.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,101,133 times
Quote:
.....Gentrifiers bring this same obliviousness to the inner city. "What do you mean the neighborhood association voted down dog parks in favor of new trash cans for seniors?" "Why are these people blasting their music out loud for the whole neighborhood to hear?" The heart of the issue, imo, is a group of people that's used to having their way moving into an area with a well-defined culture and showing little willingness to assimilate into that culture.

With Memorial Day coming up, it'll be interesting to see what the demographics of block parties from Brooklyn to DC will look like.

Thoughts.
Certainly describes the gentrification of the Manhattan's Upper West Side in the late Sixties and Seventies...and even many of the long-time resident whites came to hate the invaders.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Certainly describes the gentrification of the Manhattan's Upper West Side in the late Sixties and Seventies...and even many of the long-time resident whites came to hate the invaders.

the UWS was still declining in the 1960s - at least I think Riverside drive and adjacent blocks were. Things really changed on Columbus avenue in the late 1970s, IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning