Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure how one can say the level of misconception people have about the suburbs is akin to what exists regarding urban areas. Most urban boosters, at least, grew up in non-urban settings and only chose to relocate to cities as an adult. We have experience with things like suburban crackheads and walking a mile to get to a store, so it's not as if we're speaking from zero experience.

In contrast, a fair number of suburbanites have really never lived in cities, and seem to display some odd terror regarding the idea.
I just want to make sure I have this correct, people who live in the suburbs have never lived in the city, but people who live in the city moved there from the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Ok, if you want to be technical, not ALL urbanites complain about cookie cutter houses, but the point still remains that a common criticism of the suburbs is they have cookie cutter houses. There isn't any difference between that and rowhomes, or twin houses, or condos, and apartments that have the same layout. The block I lived on in the city had nothing but twinhouses. They all looked exactly the same and I know for a fact they all had the same layout.
see my post above, for why that criticism developed

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I guess it really depends on the suburb, whether or not the misconceptions are true. Where I used to live, I never once saw a suburban neighborhood that didn't match the stereotypes, except for the neighbors never talking to each other. Many had sidewalks, but there was nothing to walk to. The houses weren't all exactly the same, but there were typically only a few different floor plans, and they all had the same "style". Driving was required for all errands, unless you wanted to walk several miles. Almost all nearby businesses were the same chain stores you'd see anywhere, and of course there was no public transit anywhere nearby. I grew up in a late 60s-early 70s suburban neighborhood, and it mostly fit the stereotype to a "t". Later in life I owned a house in a neighborhood that was built just after WWII (1946), and while it was better with some amenities nearby, walking to any of them was frustrating because there were no sidewalks and LOTS of traffic. The closest transit stop was over a mile away, but to get to a grocery store one would have to transfer at least once, and the whole trip would have taken at least an hour (but that's more telling of the town's pathetic public transit than the neighborhood). In a nearby town in recent years, a developer tried designing a suburban neighborhood that was walkable and utilized a variety of housing styles and included stores, etc. The problem was, it was still built in the middle of nowhere and the few businesses that moved in were really just novelties. There was no grocery store or department store, no necessities. It was a nice idea, but in the end you'd still have to drive everywhere, and leave the neighborhood for just about anything. So while I'm sure (hopeful?) that there are some suburban neighborhoods that don't match the stereotype, I've never actually seen one in person.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I love row homes. But not all urbanites "love to hate" on sameness. It doesn't bother me if the same house is repeated over and over, if I like the look of it. However what I think is a common criticism is that suburbs of X city are very similar to those of Y city, even if X and Y are very different places thousands of miles from one another. "sense of place" is lacking. Whether or not that matters Is simply a matter of personal opinion.
Actually, there is little difference between the rowhouses of the east coast (Baltimore, DC, Philly, etc) and those of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure how one can say the level of misconception people have about the suburbs is akin to what exists regarding urban areas. Most urban boosters, at least, grew up in non-urban settings and only chose to relocate to cities as an adult. We have experience with things like suburban crackheads and walking a mile to get to a store, so it's not as if we're speaking from zero experience.

In contrast, a fair number of suburbanites have really never lived in cities, and seem to display some odd terror regarding the idea.
I don't know who you're referring to. As an adult, I have lived in two "major" cities, Pittsburgh and Denver, and a couple of smaller cities as well. I don't know how many of the urbanists have lived in the burbs as adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The critique originated with places like Levittown after WW2.

1. Such developments were massive, and had much, much larger areas of identical homes than urban rowhouse areas did, where a single developer might build a block or so of identical homes.

Such is the case in Denver as well.

2. People were used to a block of rowhomes being identical (or close to it) - the nature of building rowhomes requires at least a similar layout, if not the same details - people were used to single family homes being unique, not mass produced like that

Not true. Look at the bungalows, foursquares, and other styles of older homes in any large city.

3. Some of those mass produced homes were particularly mediocre in their look.

Their buyers thought they were wonderful.

For an example today, look at how SUBURBANITES who live in ramblers and ranches and cape cods often complain about cookie cutter McMansions -by 2000 we had grown used to SFHs looking alike, but seeing large, overtly luxurious SFHs that looked alike, built subdivision style, took many people by surprise.

I suppose now we are starting to get used to even that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Just highlight the 1910-1940 streetcar suburbs as a compromise between rowhouse/triple-decker urbanity and postWW2 ranches and capes. Enjoy the smaller lawns ( still aesthetically-appealing), along with the ability to walk to stores..
Those suburbs were also built as an escape from "the city".

Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, there is little difference between the rowhouses of the east coast (Baltimore, DC, Philly, etc) and those of Chicago.
Each east coast city has its own style of rowhomes, though with similarities. I didn't think Chicago had much in the way of rowhomes

Quote:
Not true. Look at the bungalows, foursquares, and other styles of older homes in any large city.
Exploring my town, it seems like few if any of the older homes are alike. Not a large city, though. See:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23869233-post32.html (also next post)

Quote:
Their buyers thought they were wonderful.
Or the buyers liked them for reasons other than the architectural style

Last edited by nei; 05-23-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
I just want to make sure I have this correct, people who live in the suburbs have never lived in the city, but people who live in the city moved there from the suburbs.
No, you don't have this correct. What they're saying is that many people who live in the suburbs don't have experience living in urban environments, not all of them--and many people currently living in urban environments moved there from the suburbs. They aren't implying universality, but you seem to be inferring it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Pedestrian-friendly is when it's just as convenient to walk to the nighborhood businesses as it is to drive, inclement weather and all.
That's rigging the game, as it can only be achieved by making it quite difficult to drive.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's rigging the game, as it can only be achieved by making it quite difficult to drive.
Or by making it quite easy to walk. If the store is in the ground floor of the building where you live, for example, it's easier to walk than to drive even if there is scads of parking and traffic-free streets.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,309 times
Quote:
I'll start, when you live in the suburbs, you never talk to your neighbors.

I lived in a major city for 8 years. I met only 3 of my neighbors in that entire time. We had 20 houses that were on the block. I moved to the suburbs 6 months ago, same situation, 20 houses on the block. We've already had a block party and i met every neighbor on my street. I don't know why people think we just run to our houses and lock our doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Everyone is well off. Kids don't use heroin. Their biggest concern is their lawn.
Here in Chicagoland I hear heroin use is higher amongst those suburban kids and the women have 80's bleach blonde hair and ugly clothes they wear way to tight. So if their well off they certainly aren't coming downtown to Barney's

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I see your point, but you could also argue making things spread out enough to have sufficient parking and good traffic flow is rigging the game in favor of cars against pedestrians.

For where I live, driving is no more convenient than walking to a good portion of neighboring businesses. Parking isn't available right in front of the business. and they're a short walk away (5-10 mins). Bicycle beats either mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning