Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

All cookie cutter homes....
Of the suburbs in the Twin Cities I've never seen a "Cookie cutter" neighborhood. Just townhouses you see cookie cutter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nor is the price of any form of transportation, as we have discussed ad infinitum.
I wonder how much more harmful jamming an elevated freeway into a neighborhood is than installing light rail. 100 times as much?

Suburban users of freeways here do not pay for the blight they created.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Usually provided courtesy of interstates which tore through urban neighborhoods years ago. Most continue to have a detrimental effect on cities. The price of convenience is not fully paid by the user.
Sure it is. It's a tollway.

There is also light rail.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Everyone is well off. Kids don't use heroin. Their biggest concern is their lawn.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sure it is. It's a tollway.

There is also light rail.
That's good (big fan of tolling here) but What about the decline in property values and health effects of homes adjacent to it? Granted modern highways are far better in this regard, but the elevated highways of the east coast are noisy, dark, foreboding... And here, it definitely forms a border and hinders development in my city.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
That's good (big fan of tolling here) but What about the decline in property values and health effects of homes adjacent to it? Granted modern highways are far better in this regard, but the elevated highways of the east coast are noisy, dark, foreboding... And here, it definitely forms a border and hinders development in my city.
Actually, it's considered desirable to be close to the tollway.

You can even see in the write-up for homes - "Close to XYZ tollway, etc."

In some places where people have to travel a lot to get what they want, being near a highway is not a bad thing.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
All cookie cutter homes....
It doesn't get any more cookie cutter than Philadelphia's row houses.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, it's considered desirable to be close to the tollway.

You can even see in the write-up for homes - "Close to XYZ tollway, etc."

In some places where people have to travel a lot to get what they want, being near a highway is not a bad thing.
Having to drive a lot is not a good thing, IMO. I mean the property that is right. Next to the highway and not an entrance, thereby being subjected to the noise and pollution yet reaping no benefits. Would that property be worth more? Is highway noise desirable?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Having to drive a lot is not a good thing, IMO. I mean the property that is right. Next to the highway and not an entrance, thereby being subjected to the noise and pollution yet reaping no benefits. Would that property be worth more? Is highway noise desirable?
I think given where you live, you might not understand our set-up.
Though I do agree that many places right off the freeway are not so good.

Last edited by stan4; 05-23-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Usually provided courtesy of interstates which tore through urban neighborhoods years ago. Most continue to have a detrimental effect on cities. The price of convenience is not fully paid by the user.
I'm sure you guys on the Urban Planning forum have talked about this forever, but I just read a book (ok, only 3/4 of it) on how the interstate system developed in the US. It was pretty interesting how urban planners tried to figure out how to control traffic for the numbers of cars on the road. The story also explained how planners consistently underestimated demand for cars in the US and how different states had different approaches to road building until a federal interstate system went in place (different designs, materials, and general approaches). Even without good roads, people kept buying cars which created huge gridlock in the middle of the city.

One point I took out of the book was that people had a strong desire to move out of the city center and they also were buying cars without good roads, but then as good roads went in to meet current needs, demand went up again. A cycle of demand, infrastructure, more demand.

One intersting thing about the book, is it talked about the evolution from horse, to bike, to car, but didn't talk a lot about public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning