Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking of how many of us live the American life enjoying our open space and everything that America offers.

When I think of California especially and suburban living, I think of malls and big box centers and suburban homes and colleges and the large pressence of Caucasians and Hispanics and as well as other ethnicities in the burbs.

Of course, California has rural life and urban life, but for the majority it's suburban.

Anyways, I like the suburban life and in California you also get the bonus of good weather and the beach.

The convenience of having a car, good sized suburban homes, convenent shopping centers like malls and big box centers, drive through restaurants, and plenty of entertainment options.

For families there is mini golf, parks, bowling alleys, and movie theaters.

For older people, there are bars and coffee shops and hiking and many different restaurants.

Then in largely populated suburban areas like OC you have Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland. Seaworld in San Diego. Universal Studios in LA.

And now in suburban homes we have video gaming systems, instant movies through our tv, and ways to enjoy ourselves more in our suburban.

These are great blessings!

Of course, there are benefits in rural areas like enjoying more of nature, but you lose a lack of suburban amenities.

And in urban areas, you get more amenities, but also lose space and the quietness of burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 03:36 PM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
living without a car sucks though at least where i live in the portland burbs

Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I don't know how much of a blessing a video game system is -- and it's not exclusive to suburbs anyway, nor is much of the stuff you mentioned -- but I do enjoy sinking my bare feet into my own lawn.

Oh, wait ... I did that when I lived in the city, too.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
sounds like an infomercial.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
What is the function of all that space if you're inside playing videogames?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:39 PM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
houses, churches, a couple apartment buildings thats what i think of when i here suburbs

Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

'open space' is code for parking lots and eight lane highways.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Means on days when you don't want to drive you have tv, movies, video gaming, and prob other stuff to do in the burbs.

Back in the day, consoles weren't big and you had arcades. Now the arcades are pretty much in our houses. Some malls and bowling alleys and movie theaters and mini golf places still have arcades.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
In my own opinion, suburbs offer the worst of both worlds.

The big benefit of the city is proximity to numerous amenities, coupled with options to access them besides driving. The big benefit of rural areas is the lack of neighbors and the closeness of nature.

Suburbs offer neither. As with rural areas, you're usually dependent upon a car to get around, with few options in terms of walking or mass transit. As with the city, you have neighbors in close proximity, and public "green space" in fully-developed areas is nearly as scarce as within cities.

This thread reminds me, however, of a hypothesis I've had bouncing through my head for awhile - that humans have a certain amount of "mental space" which we can claim, and our major societal changes have been essentially changing that spatial geography.

In most societies, the private space, such as it was, was a one-room house, with what we would call the "living room" being public space such as the village square. We see reflections of this in the modern era in colleges, where the hallways of dorms end up the space for socialization.

On the whole, however, the modern era has been about taking the square footage assigned to the commons and pulling it indoors. Thus as houses have gotten larger and more comfortable, people have spent less and less time socializing outside of them.

The most modern innovation has been with the proliferation of computers, the internet, and cellular devices. Mental square footage is now retreating from the real world, and into "cyberspace" (I hate that term, but it actually works here). People excessively into online connections really do seem to spend less time fixated on their IRL surroundings, so I'd think as time passes this will lead to house size shrinking once again.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
'open space' is code for parking lots and eight lane highways.
The H***! In my community, open space is open space, not parking lots or highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning