Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Absolutely I do. One of the standard things cohousing involves is shared child care. Sometimes this means the cohousing has a formal day care attached. In other cases it's just a matter of you watch my kids, I'll watch yours. It's the way it was done through most societies since the dawn of the human race (although admittedly, in those cases your neighbors were often family). What's so odd about it?
Not this co-housing development in my area. (This is the only one I know of.) There's no child care center, and there's nothing in the website that I skimmed through about sharead child care.

I was in a babysitting co-op when my kids were very small. These were all people in my (gasp!) suburb. We kept track of hours traded back and forth, it wasn't some casual arrangement of "you watch mine, I'll watch yours". People tend to take advantage of those kind of situations, even some of your more "high minded" people. Go over to the parenting board where you will find lots of threads about people taking advantage of other people re: child care. Later on I traded with a few neighbors, and when I worked, I paid a neighbor. Very few people use unpaid child care providers, unless it's their own parents.

Nyland Cohousing | Reinventing Community in Lafayette, Colorado (6 miles east of Boulder)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not this co-housing development in my area. (This is the only one I know of.) There's no child care center, and there's nothing in the website that I skimmed through about sharead child care.

I was in a babysitting co-op when my kids were very small. These were all people in my (gasp!) suburb. We kept track of hours traded back and forth, it wasn't some casual arrangement of "you watch mine, I'll watch yours". People tend to take advantage of those kind of situations, even some of your more "high minded" people. Go over to the parenting board where you will find lots of threads about people taking advantage of other people re: child care. Later on I traded with a few neighbors, and when I worked, I paid a neighbor. Very few people use unpaid child care providers, unless it's their own parents.

Nyland Cohousing | Reinventing Community in Lafayette, Colorado (6 miles east of Boulder)
Cohousing was developed in Denmark, and childcare is far more common in Europe than the U.S. Indeed, the first developed specifically after a Danish essay "children should have 100 parents" was written.

However, it may be that the childcare element has not translated as much, either due to cultural differences (childcare is available free of charge in most European countries anyway), or because the type of people interested in cohousing in the U.S. are less likely to be parents than the type who do so in Europe.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
The co-housing project in my neighborhood includes childcare, it's definitely an important aspect for them because most of the adults are two-income families, but they share childcare duties--not on an ad-hoc basis but as a formal part of their living arrangement. The project is mostly new infill construction (row houses) in an older neighborhood close to downtown (gasp!) with a common backyard and community room, and a kitchen where community meals are regularly held. Another responsibility of the cohousing is taking turns being the person who cooks the meals.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Cohousing was developed in Denmark, and childcare is far more common in Europe than the U.S. Indeed, the first developed specifically after a Danish essay "children should have 100 parents" was written.

However, it may be that the childcare element has not translated as much, either due to cultural differences (childcare is available free of charge in most European countries anyway), or because the type of people interested in cohousing in the U.S. are less likely to be parents than the type who do so in Europe.
People in Europe have way fewer children.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Yes, but cohousing was specifically developed to be a "family friendly" place in Europe. Sort of similar to how the suburbs were marketed here.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The co-housing project in my neighborhood includes childcare, it's definitely an important aspect for them because most of the adults are two-income families, but they share childcare duties--not on an ad-hoc basis but as a formal part of their living arrangement. The project is mostly new infill construction (row houses) in an older neighborhood close to downtown (gasp!) with a common backyard and community room, and a kitchen where community meals are regularly held. Another responsibility of the cohousing is taking turns being the person who cooks the meals.
Yes; if you have an hour or so (I'm not kidding, it's pretty long) to puruse that website I posted, you'll see that they have some of that same stuff. However, they only have one communal meal a week, on Sundays, and they charge for them. I'd rather come home from work some night to a home-cooked meal I didn't have to prepare. (DH does do some of the cooking.) Sundays we're both available and like to cook.

I would guess that not everyone who wants to live in co-housing also wants to do childcare. When my kids were little and I was working part-time, the last thing I wanted to do in my so-called spare time was watch someone eles' kids. I wanted to have some time with my own kids, and to do a few things I wanted to do. I can see what you describe working out, it just wouldn't be for me. Who watches these kids, BTW, if all the adults are working? Do they hire someone?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Fertility rate in Denmark is 1.8 children / woman, about 0.25 child lower than the US (2.05 children / woman). If you exclude recent immigrants from both countries likely they would closer. Plus, the US has wide regional differences in fertility rate, with some areas lower than average. Likely New England would be the same or slightly lower than Denmark's average.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM

This is a cool graph. You "DIY".

World Development Indicators and Global Development Finance - Google Public Data Explorer

The three highest countries in Europe (in order) are France, Sweden and Norway, with France right at 2. The three lowest are Italy, Germany and Spain, all about the same. Another source gives 1.34 for Germany.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Cisco Kid, Katiana, you two are talking around each other.

I'm not surprised that 56% of the EU's population as a whole is in rural areas, or that the Netherlands and Belgium are highly urbanized.

Here are the percentage of the population in rural areas for each EU country.

Slovenia - 49%
Portugal - 45%
Romania - 45%
Slovakia - 43%
Ireland - 40%
Greece - 39%
Finland - 39%
Poland - 38%
Hungary - 35%
Latvia - 34%
Austria - 34%
Netherlands - 34%
Lithuania - 33%
Italy - 33%
Estonia - 31%
Cyprus - 31%
Bulgaria - 30%
Czech Republic - 26%
Spain - 24%
France - 24%
Sweden - 17%
Denmark - 15%
Germany - 12%
United Kingdom - 11%
Luxembourg - 8%
Malta - 8%
Belgium - 3%

The U.S. is 20% by this measure, FWIW

On one hand, by this measure, there's no way that the majority of Europe's population is in rural areas, since no single nation even approaches 50%. Even if it comes down to slightly different measures of "rural," it's silly to credit "the EU" as the rural land policies were for the large part developed differently (the UK, for example, purposefully depopulated its rural areas).

That said, Katiana shouldn't use her experience in Belgium to determine what's typical. Indeed, all but seven EU countries do have a higher percentage of the population living in rural areas than the United States.
I didn't say my experience determined what was typical. I explicitly said I like to talk about what I know. I noticed cisco never replied to my question about whether he'd ever been in Europe. I got a different figure for the Netherlands as well, and have read that the Netherlands is the most densely populated country in Europe.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
This is a cool graph. You "DIY".

World Development Indicators and Global Development Finance - Google Public Data Explorer

The three highest countries in Europe (in order) are France, Sweden and Norway, with France right at 2. The three lowest are Italy, Germany and Spain, all about the same. Another source gives 1.34 for Germany.
ETA: I mean western Europe, but anyone can make their own comparison with this interactive link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning