Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
please tell me you didnt read the title of this thread. That would be the only reason why you wrote that stupid reply. The OP said sprawl/suburbs. I'm going to assume he/she was referring to the suburbs that are part of sprawl.
Calling something "stupid" is never an effective or useful reply. It doesn't communicate anything and is always divisive.

While the OP did say "sprawl/suburbs", it should be clear that some people dislike sprawl but otherwise enjoy the suburban lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Calling something "stupid" is never an effective or useful reply. It doesn't communicate anything and is always divisive.

While the OP did say "sprawl/suburbs", it should be clear that some people dislike sprawl but otherwise enjoy the suburban lifestyle.
I was talking about people, who hate the suburbs, cant acccept the typical reasons why we move to the suburbs. Whether a suburb is sprawl or not is irrelevant to me. I just used sprawl/suburbs because it was in the title of the thread. I still think that was stupid what you wrote.

Last edited by nighttrain55; 06-14-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Better schools, lower crime rates, newer and cleaner environment, open space, easy access to stores, shops and restaurants, etc.

When I have kids, I WILL be raising them in the suburbs or in some rural area. I don't want them around the stuck up people in the city.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I'm genuinely curious as nothing has ever struck me as being beneficial about moving to these areas. In fact it often times seems to be detrimental as many people claim they don't want sprawl yet will move to the suburbs which is essentially sprawl. I also hear from some that they don't like the hustle and bustle of a city (even though this has resulted in our relatively rural city of 41,000 shrinking to 27,000 even though it's spread grown to double it's original land size since then...the county population has doubled though), but they'll move to the suburbs and be side by side and infront and behind other homes. Perhaps these are just a bunch of people who don't really know what they want and always contradict themselves, just like how they don't want new taxes and voted down the CPST that was to help with roads, yet they talk about how bad the roads are and want stuff done about it.
They let real estate developers turn cheap farmland (or even cheaper greenfield) into expensive residential and commercial land, as long as government can be relied upon to provide infrastructure and facilitate subsidized lending programs. As a consumer product, it is subject to fads and fashions which change over time, encouraging more construction and consumption. It works kind of like a Ponzi scheme, except when the center collapses, it is blamed on government inefficiency.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
They let real estate developers turn cheap farmland (or even cheaper greenfield) into expensive residential and commercial land, as long as government can be relied upon to provide infrastructure and facilitate subsidized lending programs. As a consumer product, it is subject to fads and fashions which change over time, encouraging more construction and consumption. It works kind of like a Ponzi scheme, except when the center collapses, it is blamed on government inefficiency.
Yes, that is exactly what building the suburbs is, a ponzi scheme. People who moved to suburbs for less crime, better schools are definitely being taken for a ride.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
suburbs which [are] essentially sprawl.
Clearly, I disagree with the OP's blanket presumption.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
I'm sorry for those I wasn't clear enough with. I am talking about the suburbs that promote sprawl. Not all suburbs are the cause for sprawl, but 7 out of 10 are responsible for such. I personally would like to see schools and crime reduced in the cities, but often times I don't feel it's so much better out in the suburbs or rural areas. If you live 10 miles from the city for example, then the response time if you make a call is about 15 minutes average. Most people don't seem to concerned with that statistic when they move out there because the percieved crime at the time is low, but I've seen firsthand people die going to the hospital for things that 9 out of 10 times they would have lived through had they been closer or people getting an officer out to their house after a burglery to file a report, but never get any results. Also a lot of times unless you live over 5 miles from the city...a lot of times further than that...you'll still be in the same school district as the city ones. The education game is fixable if you get more parents involved in the process instead of just picking a good school district and hoping that makes your kid do better...your kid can fail or succeed depending on that factor. The taxes factor is also a very vague field. The transportation issue is a big problem that can be caused by these suburbs. Congestion begins to develop on the roads, and the very fact that roads had to be paved out further and further puts strains on the local government, but then it only gets worse if they have to be widened.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for those I wasn't clear enough with. I am talking about the suburbs that promote sprawl. Not all suburbs are the cause for sprawl, but 7 out of 10 are responsible for such. I personally would like to see schools and crime reduced in the cities, but often times I don't feel it's so much better out in the suburbs or rural areas. If you live 10 miles from the city for example, then the response time if you make a call is about 15 minutes average. Most people don't seem to concerned with that statistic when they move out there because the percieved crime at the time is low, but I've seen firsthand people die going to the hospital for things that 9 out of 10 times they would have lived through had they been closer or people getting an officer out to their house after a burglery to file a report, but never get any results. Also a lot of times unless you live over 5 miles from the city...a lot of times further than that...you'll still be in the same school district as the city ones. The education game is fixable if you get more parents involved in the process instead of just picking a good school district and hoping that makes your kid do better...your kid can fail or succeed depending on that factor. The taxes factor is also a very vague field. The transportation issue is a big problem that can be caused by these suburbs. Congestion begins to develop on the roads, and the very fact that roads had to be paved out further and further puts strains on the local government, but then it only gets worse if they have to be widened.
1. there are hospitals in the suburbs, so I dont know where you are getting this idea you cant be close to hospital.

2. Suburbs have police stations stations, so i dont know why you would have to wait for the police from the city to respond to you.

3. I dont know what suburbs you are talking about, but when you live outside the city, you arent allowed to go to the city schools, but even if you were, that would be defeating the purpose of moving to the suburbs. while I agree that it takes parent invlovement, no parent is going to sacrifice their kids education by sending them to a sh*t public school if they can go somewhere else.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for those I wasn't clear enough with. I am talking about the suburbs that promote sprawl. Not all suburbs are the cause for sprawl, but 7 out of 10 are responsible for such. I personally would like to see schools and crime reduced in the cities, but often times I don't feel it's so much better out in the suburbs or rural areas. If you live 10 miles from the city for example, then the response time if you make a call is about 15 minutes average.
Emergency response time varies a lot from city to city and suburb to suburb. In some cities (e.g. Washington D.C. in the 80's and 90's) the cops were famous for not showing up at all. Anyway, the point about crime in the suburbs isn't about response time, it's about not having to call in the first place.

Quote:
Also a lot of times unless you live over 5 miles from the city...a lot of times further than that...you'll still be in the same school district as the city ones.
The states I've lived in, the school districts change at the city border.

Quote:
The education game is fixable if you get more parents involved in the process instead of just picking a good school district and hoping that makes your kid do better...your kid can fail or succeed depending on that factor. The taxes factor is also a very vague field.
No, taxes are not vague at all. Every time you fill out your tax forms, you come out with a concrete number.

And it doesn't matter how "involved" parents are in the process, if the school system is as dysfunctional as that in (e.g.) Newark, NJ, you're going to have problems. The amount of parental involvement involved to make it work would amount to home schooling.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't want them around the stuck up people in the city.
If you think "city" people (I presume you mean inner city, though you could also be including simply urban environments) are stuck up, then what is your opinion on individuals in high-end suburban hillside and/or beach-side environments? Many of whom are more staunchly opposed to changes than their "city" counterparts.

For example, see the recent thread on the so-called "Manhattanizing" of Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning