Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times

Advertisements

Don't be coming I to our urban paradise to see sports events,concerts, theater or tO enjoy fine dining then. Gheezh

Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM

21 posts, read 46,943 times
Urbanism has long been seen as the best way to reduce traffic, pollution and still increase the overall quality of life experienced.

Popular Science - Google Books

page 22

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Proof View Post
Urbanism has long been seen as the best way to reduce traffic, pollution and still increase the overall quality of life experienced.

Popular Science - Google Books

page 22
Popular Science is regarded by real scientists as a joke. (At lest the real scientists I know and love)

1989 was a long time ago, too. Funny to see a magazine with a cigarette ad!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Popular Science is regarded by real scientists as a joke. (At lest the real scientists I know and love)

1989 was a long time ago, too. Funny to see a magazine with a cigarette ad!
It's not a scientific journal, if that's what you're getting at. It's a good rag for what it is, however. Same with popular mechanics, not a trade a trade journal that engineers are likely to read but good nonetheless. Anyway, the half page article had nothing to do with reducing traffic or improving quality of life. A three block downtown isn't going to provide much employment.

And here's what that walkable utopian daydream looks like today... Shopping center is shopping center. I'm sure a whole bunch of people walked there, and boy is that an urban environment if I've ever seen one.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1C...d=0CJYBEPwSMAA

Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Most people don't go to concerts and plays or "fine dining" regardless of where they live (I think the current fixation on restaurants and coffee joints is odd, as is the search for authenticity in restaurants rather than in day to day behavior). Some see cities as playgrounds for elitists others see them as places where people find work and hang their hats. I guess that depends on whether you moved to the city from an affluent suburb or from some place like Poland or Mexico.

Then you have people like me who grew up in Chicago yet feel very little in common with many newcomers. And I don't mean Poles and Mexicans.

In any event Americans have a history of self righteous finger wagging that goes back to the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Many of the people who now look down their noses at suburbanites would've been the same people looking down at Blacks 50 years ago. The comforts of bigotry don't change but the victims of it change with the current fashions.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-12-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its easy u can use your minority status your political will and high visibility of cities to force government investment in your community. some of that money will make it to your pocket if you play it right. its not about playing fair, its about winning.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Most people don't go to concerts and plays or "fine dining" regardless of where they live (I think the current fixation on restaurants and coffee joints is odd, as is the search for authenticity in restaurants rather than in day to day behavior). Some see cities as playgrounds for elitists others see them as places where people find work and hang their hats. I guess that depends on whether you moved to the city from an affluent suburb or from some place like Poland or Mexico.

Then you have people like me who grew up in Chicago yet feel very little in common with many newcomers. And I don't mean Poles and Mexicans. I don't think many of the new urbanites here grew up hanging on street corners cracking wise and talking out of the sides of their mouths. I'm struck by how naive and childish many are.
The bold.^^^

Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
I don't get it. Restaurants and coffee shops have existed for centuries. What's this about a current fixation?

Maybe most people don't partake in the arts, but enough obviously do that such things exist (mostly in cities).

Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Worth noting that I'm sipping beer in a independent pub while my wife is next door at an art class. This building was a public market for about 130 years, was abandoned for 30, and has now been reoccupied. I can't think of any place in any suburb where this could be happening right now. I guess we just like this stuff, and others do too.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Worth noting that I'm sipping beer in a independent pub while my wife is next door at an art class. This building was a public market for about 130 years, was abandoned for 30, and has now been reoccupied. I can't think of any place in any suburb where this could be happening right now. I guess we just like this stuff, and others do too.
Just a sampling of arts offerings in my burb
The Art Underground - Louisville, CO - Denver Post
Art Classes For All Levels - Friday Enterprises - Louisville, CO
Welcome to the Louisville Art Association serving the Artist Community of East Boulder County in Colorado.

bars louisville co - Google Search

You will note most of these are independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning