Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In any event I've found no indications that whether a person lives in a city or a suburb has any bearing on their character; you know, their honesty, forthrightness, courage and willingness to give me a jump start when my battery is dead.
Me too. Did it seem like I was making some sort of value judgment against those who don't live in cities?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong? Why I am I the subject of antipathy?

This is amazing. 4 negative responses to my post. Darn, why the animosity?
I don't have any animosity towards you. Reasonable people can disagree. However, here is what you said that caused me to disagree, and show my disagreement (in bold).

Quote:
Worth noting that I'm sipping beer in a independent pub while my wife is next door at an art class. This building was a public market for about 130 years, was abandoned for 30, and has now been reoccupied. I can't think of any place in any suburb where this could be happening right now. I guess we just like this stuff, and others do too.
Not to mention that last sentence implies that suburban dwellers don't like to do those things, since you think the suburbs don't have such amenities as indy bars and art lessons.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Not to mention that last sentence implies that suburban dwellers don't like to do those things, since you think the suburbs don't have such amenities as indy bars and art lessons.
Do they have them side by side?

You must forgive me, because when I think suburbs, Louisvlle, where I spent all of 2 or 3 hours, is not the first on my mind. The Baltimore suburbs are. Where there most certainly is nothing like I described.

Didn't mean for this to be a big fight.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:

You must forgive me, because when I think suburbs, Louisvlle, where I spent all of 2 or 3 hours, is not the first on my mind. The Baltimore suburbs are. Where there most certainly is nothing like I described.

How about Huntington, NY instead?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about Huntington, NY instead?
Nicely played. Maybe more feasible - but the price of admission is far higher.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Here's the thing - speaking to the OP - I'm not trying to impose my lifestyle on anyone. I'm content where I am. I like everything that is available to me here, and I like the price of being close to it, because it's pretty reasonable. I could really care less what happens in Catonsville, Middle River or Towson.

To think, all this could have been avoided by saying "I don't think there's anywhere in the Baltimore suburbs where this exists."

Oh well. The world continues to turn.

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 08-12-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

I don't know if you can find a bar and an art studio that gives lessons side by side in Louisville, but certainly you could find such within the same block. Many of the studios are on Front St., which also has some bars.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically the concentraqtion in transsportation and energy advantage in the first half of the 20th century has gone away.What many overgrown urban areas see now is decayed infrastructure as taxbase shifts increasingly. They are left with too many who are dependents rather than contributors in taxbase basically.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Here's the thing - speaking to the OP - I'm not trying to impose my lifestyle on anyone. I'm content where I am. I like everything that is available to me here, and I like the price of being close to it, because it's pretty reasonable. I could really care less what happens in Catonsville, Middle River or Towson.

To think, all this could have been avoided by saying "I don't think there's anywhere in the Baltimore suburbs where this exists."

Oh well. The world continues to turn.
It's an utterly false premise--but it fits the basic narrative of "We are under attack by sinister forces seeking to destroy our way of life!"

Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am confused by the desire urban enthusiasts have to completely transform urban areas into their dream cities. By that, I mean the desire to extend transit way out into suburbs that they don't live in, harboring hope that gas prices will force us to live in more dense environments,
I am confused. here in NoVa where I live, there is a big extension transit into the suburbs called the silver line. AFAIK residents of the actual urban places in the region are mostly indifferent - it has been pushed by the suburban counties, looking for denser development for many reasons, but mostly to generate new tax revenues. by urban enthusiasts, do you mean the suburban county govts?

Can you give me an example of such a transit project that is being imposed on a suburban area against its will?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning