Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Davis, CA, critical mass wasn't like that (more like the latter). It was about a hundred people, mostly students and graduate students but plenty of residents as well. Lots of kids out with their training wheels, toddlers on the back of bicycles. Of course it's a smaller college town as well where bicycling is extremely common. Sacramento Critical Mass is more mixed, both in the participants and the reactions from the public and police.
Flat, no humidity ... I only spent an hour in Davis but I wished I had a bike with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Is something being done about this? Having not heard of it before this thread, I am a bit surprised. Why would NYC or the NYPD be against cyclists?
Don't know, but they are. One NYPD officer tried to get me sent on a one-way trip to Rikers by lying about my almost hitting a pedestrian, and failed only because the hanging judge wasn't there that day.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...or-vehicle.pdf
NYC has about 1/4th the average MV fatality rate at 3.4, US average is around 12.9. The number of cyclists included in that death toll is almost none. It's mostly pedestrians. Cyclists are just a very, very vocal minority and OpenSpace capitalizes on that.
Interestingly, for having a much higher proportion of pedestrians than the rest of the country in the NYC area the pedestrian fatality rate is roughly identical to the rest of the country for pedestrians under age 60. But the elderly are much more likely to die in pedestrian accidents in the NY area.

of course, to be fair, the elderly die from motor vehicle accidents at a higher rate, so the lower pedestrian fatality rate in the rest of the US might be made up by a highe car accident fatality rate.

via your favorite "news" source:

TSTC: Downstate Roads Rank Poorly for Senior Pedestrian Safety | Streetsblog New York City

but the numbers are taken from elsewhere, so I assume it's accurate. The majority of deaths are from arterial roads. Puzzled why 4% of elderly pedestriandeaths are on interstates/expressway. The motor vehicle death rate varies widely by state from a low of about 5 in Massachusetts to above 25 in some rural southern states. Wonder what the cause is… Probably a more relevant stat for most people than an area's murder rate.

Last edited by nei; 08-15-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Is something being done about this? Having not heard of it before this thread, I am a bit surprised. Why would NYC or the NYPD be against cyclists?
NYC (at least lately) likes cyclists; the city government has been building lots of bike lanes. The NYPD not so much.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Puzzled why 4% of elderly pedestriandeaths are on interstates/expressway.
I'd theorize they were hit after getting out of their car for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning