U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM

9,839 posts, read 11,444,485 times

Advertisements

What is the future for big box stores in mixed use urban environments? A first ever Walmart is opening in DC proper with apartments above it and street level retail. What do you think about this format?

NoMa Walmart Residences to Deliver in Late-2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,384,063 times
Eww Walmart...

Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
I think it's the way of the future. If you'd like to see what this sort of format might look like completed, or maybe get some ideas of ways the idea can be tweaked, check out this big box store area in an urban neighbourhood in Vancouver:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...8.98,,0,-10.51

The complex closest to you houses a Home Depot, a Winners, a Homesense, a Save-on-Foods grocery store and condos. There's also another great example of this type of building across the street, where there's a big Whole Foods with several stories of Condos above it, and there's underground parking for the customers. Down the street from the first complex you can see some other examples of urban big box stores that aren't mixed use, like the multi-level Canadian Tire store with a department store layout.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM

9,839 posts, read 11,444,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think it's the way of the future. If you'd like to see what this sort of format might look like completed, or maybe get some ideas of ways the idea can be tweaked, check out this big box store area in an urban neighbourhood in Vancouver:

The complex closest to you houses a Home Depot, a Winners, a Homesense, a Save-on-Foods grocery store and condos. There's also another great example of this type of building across the street, where there's a big Whole Foods with several stories of Condos above it, and there's underground parking for the customers. Down the street from the first complex you can see some other examples of urban big box stores that aren't mixed use, like the multi-level Canadian Tire store with a department store layout.
How well did the condo's sell above that home depot? There are 300 apartments being built above this Walmart with other first floor retail. I'm wondering how the apartments will be received.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
I see people who shop there regularly... I can't imagine the winners who would want to LIVE there as well.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,339,746 times
Had it been anything other than a walmart-maybe. I just can't imagine very many people willing to say out loud they "live over the walmart"

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM

832 posts, read 1,380,005 times
I like it. I would live there. Nothing like living and working in the same building! Oh, wait I probably couldn't afford to live in a nice, new, big-city condo if I work at Walmart...

But really I like the concept. I like seeing something like this idea rather than a big box store taking up tons of space for itself, helping to continue sprawl and almost forcing us to drive everywhere outside of very urban neighborhoods.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,570,857 times
Might be handy if you work at the Walmart--assuming, of course, that the apartments are priced to be affordable for that salary level. The old idea of living above the store where you work is starting to come back into fashion--and we see plenty of it in urban infill projects. Hopefully the idea will spread beyond just big-box stores to "small-box" retail.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

Vancouver's style of urbanism is interesting. Maybe the best (maybe only) example of a new, dense and partially transit/pedestrian oriented city in North America while feeling like it had a newer "western" form.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,570,857 times
We have a Safeway (major west coast supermarket chain) with apartments above it that was built a few years ago, but the developer made them luxury high-end apartments rather than apartments affordable for a supermarket clerk, so they have had trouble keeping them rented--people looking for luxury apartments don't generally want to live above a 24 hour supermarket. The idea is sound, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or