Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You answered your own question.

The arterials are at "near highway speed"... usually posted 45 with traffic doing 50 to 55. The "arterial" in a grid is a posted 25. At rush hour, the arterial may average a speed of just 20-35 mph as you get stuck at lights; however, the grid runs only at 2-10 mph due to the more frequent intersections. This is why "gridlock" is called gridlock. It doesn't really matter that there are four times as many arterials. You have 20 times the red lights, 20 times as many people turning off, 100 times as many people pulling into private driveways, and a zillion times as many people circling around and stopping traffic when they finally find a spot to parallel park.
That seems way too high even non-rush hour unless maybe if you're ignoring lights. Averaging 50-55 mph on a commercial road seems unrealistic, even of the multilane arterial type. 40 mph is a more realistic non-highway average speed in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That seems way too high even non-rush hour unless maybe if you're ignoring lights. Averaging 50-55 mph on a commercial road seems unrealistic, even of the multilane arterial type. 40 mph is a more realistic non-highway average speed in my experience.
Not around here. Through the heavy commercial areas, traffic is a posted 35-40, traffic regularly goes 40-45 (disregarding time stopped at intersections) through those sections, any running at the speed limit is considered horrible traffic. The major arterials are usually posted 45 here, and no one does the speed limit, quite common to see traffic doing 50-60 on them.

Park Drive in Rocklin, which is a more minor arterial:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rockl...2,1.73,,0,7.62

Last edited by Malloric; 09-04-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Welcome to California! We drive fast here!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Welcome to California! We drive fast here!
LOL! We drive fast in Philadelphia, too. It's nothing for me to hit 60 on a four-lane, mostly residential arterial street, become shocked at how fast I'm going, and slow down to 55.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:

The arterials are at "near highway speed"... usually posted 45 with traffic doing 50 to 55. The "arterial" in a grid is a posted 25. At rush hour, the arterial may average a speed of just 20-35 mph as you get stuck at lights; however, the grid runs only at 2-10 mph due to the more frequent intersections. This is why "gridlock" is called gridlock. It doesn't really matter that there are four times as many arterials. You have 20 times the red lights, 20 times as many people turning off, 100 times as many people pulling into private driveways, and a zillion times as many people circling around and stopping traffic when they finally find a spot to parallel park.
What city are you talking about ? They are not all the same.

In the North East part of US and very much so Canada they feed all traffic to arterials to get anywhere in city that that is 2 or 3 lane roads each way with speed limit of 70KM and some places 80KM with a lot of traffic.

In the old areas build in 50's or before with more curb cuts and building on the street the speed limit is 50KM.

Las Vagas is different they seem to have more curb cuts and commercial strip that say Canada that was not really into this do to strong mix use buildings that very big there.

Las Vagas curb cuts .

Same thing in Albuquerque.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Many speed limits set too low | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

There's a Michigan law that says if 85% of traffic drives around a certain speed, the speed limit can (or is suggested to) be set to that 85% percentile. Many people here will drive 50 on major arterial roads. Then again, many of the roads that fall under this usually have a mile between stop lights, and they're usually timed to give the higher capacity roads the longer greens. They're also usually 6 or more lanes. So really, they're like surface highways.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Not around here. Through the heavy commercial areas, traffic is a posted 35-40, traffic regularly goes 40-45 (disregarding time stopped at intersections) through those sections, any running at the speed limit is considered horrible traffic. The major arterials are usually posted 45 here, and no one does the speed limit, quite common to see traffic doing 50-60 on them.

Park Drive in Rocklin, which is a more minor arterial:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rockl...2,1.73,,0,7.62
I was including lights within the average speed. We tend to have more one lane minor roads here as well. The constant lights on this road slow the speed a lot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jeric...251.49,,0,6.64

often slower than a parallel minor road:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Burr+...49.45,,0,12.51

Old 09-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I was including lights within the average speed. We tend to have more one lane minor roads here as well. The constant lights on this road slow the speed a lot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jeric...251.49,,0,6.64

often slower than a parallel minor road:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Burr+...49.45,,0,12.51

I don't think you understand this street hierarchy started in 60's in both in the US and Canada they don't build homes on arterials from a traffic engineering point of view it is way too dangerous pulling in and out of drive way on busy arterials do to the street hierarchy not to say no one wants to live on road that almost like a highway.

But I have not seen the US limiting stores , retail ,businesses ,factories or office and such like they seem to do in Canada.

City in Toronto GTA area retail ,businesses ,factories and light light industry off other road with lack of almost city banning of not allowed to build on main roads.

This is what I find very strange .

Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't think you understand this street hierarchy started in 60's in both in the US and Canada they don't build homes on arterials from a traffic engineering point of view it is way too dangerous pulling in and out of drive way on busy arterials do to the street hierarchy not to say no one wants to live on road that almost like a highway.

But I have not seen the US limiting stores , retail ,businesses ,factories or office and such like they seem to do in Canada.

City in Toronto GTA area retail ,businesses ,factories and light light industry off other road with lack of almost city banning of not allowed to build on main roads.

This is what I find very strange .
Yes I am aware. However not all of the US is the same. I was giving 2 examples from near where I grew up. While suburban arterials rarely have any housing on them there, there are plenty stores and other businesses on arterials. So much that traffic exiting and entering (besides frequent lights) has a major impact on the speed. Which was why I was incredulous at Malloric's claims of 50+ mph on arterials.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Okay that enought talk now about street hierarchy , grid , disconnected streets ,superblock so on that get this thread back on topic and get my quection answer !! It seems a lot cities in Canada may be more so the east coast ( 60's to now ) like not to put stores ,retail , businesses , offices and factories on the through roads , main roads or arterials and such but put them on other street where by you have to drive off the through road on to other street or two to get to those stores ,retail ,businesses , offices and factories and such.

My question is what cities in US or areas in US have this ? Or does Canada take it more to the extreme than the US?

Note the cities I don't really see them doing this in the US are Las Vagas , Albuquerque , Phoenix , Miami area , Fort Lauderdale area and Broward County.

It seems to be more thing in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning