Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes a city attractive to young 20-something college grads?
Public transportation 81 64.29%
Skyscrapers 29 23.02%
Walkability 88 69.84%
Historical significance 25 19.84%
Luxury Shopping 22 17.46%
Local, unique restaurants 71 56.35%
Strong arts/music scene 76 60.32%
Liberal political zeitgeist 42 33.33%
Active LGBT community 34 26.98%
Lack of strong "religious right"/outspoken atheist community 30 23.81%
Employment prospects 88 69.84%
Other 33 26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

For me....walkability, public transit, unique/local restaurants and shops, arts, employment opportunities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
I'm young, and in my early 20s, but I really don't care to live in a San Francisco or a Seattle (Unless Frasier Crane was a real person, lol). I don't care too much about the national perception of a city. That's why I prefer your Houston's, Dallas's, and Atlanta's to your Portland's, Seattle's, and San Francisco's.

The type of young people those cities cater to are usually a very limited demographic. Asian/white, liberal, LGBT, hipster.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
Fore me it's.

1. Music Scene
2. Amount and diversity of music venues
3. Strong live music community
4. Breweries
5. Music shops
6. Closeness to nature (mountains, oceans, national forests, etc.)
7. Socially liberal
8. Relaxed vibe (while still having a significant population)

Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM

176 posts, read 348,829 times
Why so much west coast hate in this thread?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Why so much west coast hate in this thread?
Who's hating the west coast?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm young, and in my early 20s, but I really don't care to live in a San Francisco or a Seattle (Unless Frasier Crane was a real person, lol). I don't care too much about the national perception of a city. That's why I prefer your Houston's, Dallas's, and Atlanta's to your Portland's, Seattle's, and San Francisco's.

The type of young people those cities cater to are usually a very limited demographic. Asian/white, liberal, LGBT, hipster.
They're different types of cities in general. I'm used to not having to drive everywhere so I wouldn't choose to live in the former.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Im in my early 30's (32 to be exact) blk male and to me its...

1. Jobs
2. Jobs
3. Jobs
4. everything else.

Sure I would enjoy living in a city where I wouldnt have to use a car alot, or have lots of entertainment options, etc, etc. But if your struggling or broke does any of those extra's matter?.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Low crime, high paying jobs, educated community, walkability and food scene to a certain extent, and maybe good shopping (not mandatory for me but I'm sure a bunch of young adult females would disagree ;D). Liberal political scene is great too.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
The last time I was in San Francisco was five years ago, but the thing I found stunning about it was how few young people there were.

Yes, there were hipsters in the Mission, but most of them seemed to be in their early 30s. I saw large numbers of 20somethings on the street around Haight-Ashbury. But in every other neighborhood, 90% of the people on the street were between 35 and 60. There was almost no one older than a baby and younger than 30, and almost no one who was actually elderly.

I think it would thus be a pretty sucky place to be a 22-year old. It seemed a rather pretty, but very yuppie city. I don't know why any young person would choose it over NYC, but I see why an established, wealthy 40-year old would.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

I hear a lot of this and it amuses me to no end because it usually is from media information rather than research or personal observation or too much TV. So I am going to ask, from what source does your information come? Where are your statistics? How does an entire city "cater" to one group or another? Does the city government put out a sign saying "Only (fill in the blank) may live here?" Does everyone over a certain age have to move? Are children forced to move then allowed back when they reach the allowable age?

Fraiser Crane types could very well live in Seattle or Portland. "LOL."

You say you don't care about the "national perception" but you obviously do care very much indeed for you have judged my city, Portland OR, by a national stereotype that, while admittedly does exist in certain areas, is not representative of the entire city. And I think these things also exist in Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. People who actually live in those places on CD have certainly said so. Those cities just don't get so hyped about it from the media and production companies from other cities don't aim their cameras at them to make a buck while giving them an one note reputation.

I know young Republicans, conservatives, moderates, even rednecks. It's not just oldies. You name it we got it. Nor all our young'uns are hipsters.

I don't mean to pick on you, it's just that I get annoyed when people stereotype my city without living here because I know that they are not judging by what they are seeing or if they are, judging by what little they have seen. The dangers of the Internet. It makes everyone think they are an expert. Oh and TV too.

Young people find the cities you have rejected very attrative it what it has is what they are looking for. If it doesn't they won't of course. Then they might like your choices. But I just hope they would see for themsleves, judge for themselves and think for themsleves instead of letting something or someone else do their seeing and thinking for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning