Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes a city attractive to young 20-something college grads?
Public transportation 81 64.29%
Skyscrapers 29 23.02%
Walkability 88 69.84%
Historical significance 25 19.84%
Luxury Shopping 22 17.46%
Local, unique restaurants 71 56.35%
Strong arts/music scene 76 60.32%
Liberal political zeitgeist 42 33.33%
Active LGBT community 34 26.98%
Lack of strong "religious right"/outspoken atheist community 30 23.81%
Employment prospects 88 69.84%
Other 33 26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times

Advertisements

The "hot" cities for young people like Seattle and San Francisco have some of the bleakest job prospects for them in the nation yet 20-somethings keep flocking to them. Even Austin, which has fared much better than most of the country, is extremely competitive and its job market difficult to break into. However these are the preferred cities for young college grads and I am wondering what factors everybody makes a city attractive for young people. I have included a multiple choice poll with the most common reasons I've seen mentioned. Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
I voted "job market" and "other." The other is housing. I hate high-rise living or frumpy in-town bungalow living. I like newer housing stock. This is why I once selected Atlanta, for example. I got a good job offer from afar and liked all the newer suburban apartment complexes with nice grounds, pool, and amenities.

I would imagine some people would vote either of the 2 political dimensions (ultra-liberal, no religious right). After all, this is gotta-love-everybody liberal CDF. Personally, I'll take "middle of the road" any day, which is not an option. Well, I think it could be the "other."

Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The "hot" cities for young people like Seattle and San Francisco have some of the bleakest job prospects for them in the nation yet 20-somethings keep flocking to them. Even Austin, which has fared much better than most of the country, is extremely competitive and its job market difficult to break into. However these are the preferred cities for young college grads and I am wondering what factors everybody makes a city attractive for young people. I have included a multiple choice poll with the most common reasons I've seen mentioned. Discuss!
I think young people just like a city with a lot of young people in it. That may sound redundant, but when a city attracts a good share of younger people, more keep coming to be with those other younger people so they can make friends and ultimately families.

It may start off with job prospects or entertainment venues but the momentum can keep it adding even when those things subside. Either a lot of entry-level jobs or a significant music scene or some sort of beach/mountain/recreational thing usually get the ball rolling.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I think young people just like a city with a lot of young people in it. That may sound redundant, but when a city attracts a good share of younger people, more keep coming to be with those other younger people so they can make friends and ultimately families.

It may start off with job prospects or entertainment venues but the momentum can keep it adding even when those things subside. Either a lot of entry-level jobs or a significant music scene or some sort of beach/mountain/recreational thing usually get the ball rolling.
This is somewhat true but every city of a decent size is going to have a sizable young population in it. What makes Portland and Seattle or even Austin so much more favorable to young people than Houston for instance? Young people from all over the country pack up to move to Seattle with only dreams but you don't see near the drive to move to Houston, though both are sure to offer plenty for the young. Houston however has far better job prospects.

Last edited by bchris02; 09-20-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
This is somewhat true but every city of a decent size is going to have a sizable young population in it. What makes Portland and Seattle or even Austin so much more favorable to young people than Houston for instance? Young people from all over the country pack up to move to Seattle with only dreams but you don't see near the drive to move to Houston, though both are sure to offer plenty for the young. Houston however has far better job prospects.
The way these cities are marketed has a great deal to do with how they're perceived.

The media tells you that the Portlands, Seattles, and Austins of the world are where every young person wants to live, when the reality is that these cities mostly draw the attention of the White and Asian hipster/college student demographic, and not much else.

Right now, people both young and old are moving where the jobs are. Cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta market themselves as business towns, but not as a hip, happy-go-lucky hot-spots for the young and free. It's not until after people actually move there that they discover they're actually much cooler than previously thought.

As for the actual thread topic, I'd say that nightlife, above all, would be most important to your average twenty-something, and most major cities offer more than enough, in that regard.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The way these cities are marketed has a great deal to do with how they're perceived.

The media tells you that the Portlands, Seattles, and Austins of the world are where every young person wants to live, when the reality is that these cities mostly draw the attention of the White and Asian hipster/college student demographic, and not much else.

Right now, people both young and old are moving where the jobs are. Cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta market themselves as business towns, but not as a hip, happy-go-lucky hot-spots for the young and free. It's not until after people actually move there that they discover they're actually much cooler than previously thought.

As for the actual thread topic, I'd say that nightlife, above all, would be most important to your average twenty-something, and most major cities offer more than enough, in that regard.
I have a friend who took an oil and gas industry job in Houston after college. He first lived at a fairly new complex near Westheimer/Dairy Ashford where his unit was actually a 1-story with a partial upper story. He wound up liking Houston and moved inside the Loop, off Westheimer.

Portland, Seattle and Austin have been borderline ruined by all the people moving there only to be part of a counterculture movement. From the first two, many people wind up going home, wherever that is, because they'd wind up sharing a dingy house with the siding peeling with 3 other people in perpetuity.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
a young person who goes to a city for skyscrapers should literally walk him/herself to a mental hospital ward.

What catches young people mind are education, vibrancy, nightlife, and diversity.

you only live life once what young geek goes to a city for doofy skyscrapers that stand in the same post all day. The only thing special about that is that a human cant do it.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Portland and Seattle?! Maybe that was true in the 90's but young people are not going in droves to Seattle anymore at least not more thanHouston. Austin held that crown in the 2000's but that is fading too.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Portland and Seattle?! Maybe that was true in the 90's but young people are not going in droves to Seattle anymore at least not more thanHouston. Austin held that crown in the 2000's but that is fading too.
So what's under the spotlight now? Austin, with the seat of the Texas government and 50,000 university students, in a relatively small metro area. No thanks. I went through it once and did not like it.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,114 times
I am 24 years old and live in the Bay Area because here is where all the software development jobs are. Also, this area is just gorgeous and - being 24 years old - I have no family to take care of. 100% of my after-tax wages go toward me. Families necessarily have tighter budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning