Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Anyone know which North American cities built high rise and/or tower in the park public housing projects? Which ones are they still standing?

Think two still remain in South Philly

they been being phased out though, probably for good reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
So St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit and New York City had or still have high rise projects?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
New Orleans has/had 2 high rise project buildings and 1 still stands. But I don't know if that is what you are looking for because they were each one single building that were apart of low rise developments and I think they only housed the elderly.

Also I think Oakland, California has (or had) some high rise projects.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Baltimore still has some high rises that house elderly folks.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
At least one large high rise tower in the park NYC housing project is without power. 16 story walk-up in the dark in the 'hood!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit and New York City had or still have high rise projects?
Detroit has several high rises still standing. However, 4 of them are due for demolition this year after being vacant for quite a long time. There's no immediate plans for redevelopment.

2nd Phase Of Demolition Underway At Iconic Detroit Housing Project « CBS Detroit

Vacant Towers

These towers were converted to senior housing apartments around 2008-2009.

At Detroit's peak, there were a total of 18 high rise towers. Not sure how many units there was, but they were 14 floors tall and estimated to hold up to 10,000 residents.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...y=1;view=image

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...y=1;view=image

Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
In LA Jordan Downs' 700 units are to be replaced with 1,800 units.

LA Curbed
How accepted by the community is the Jordan Downs project?

I know that in Boyle Heights there is a plan to convert the Wyvernwood Projects into a mixed-income mixed-use urban village. It is highly contentious among current residents and has seen a lot of opposition.

It would take this:

La.Curbed.com

La Times via Streetsblog

And turn it into this:

[LEFT]latinolosangeles.blogspot.com[/LEFT]

Congress for the New Urbanism

Here is a video about the project.

[vimeo]64195651[/vimeo]
WYVERNWOOD. on Vimeo

It looks like a nice redevelopment to me, and from what I have heard the Wyvernwood projects have been terribly neglected by the current ownership (residents say they neglect the buildings because they plan to demolish them anyways) and are not exactly a wonderful place to live. Current residents get a discount and first priority when the project is finished, but we all know how promises like that usually turn out. I really like the plan to bring some more traditional urbanism to Boyle Heights but I am not a resident of the area so go figure.

It would turn 1200 units into 4,400 residential units plus 30k square feet of office and retail to the area. I wonder what residents of Boyle Heights that do not currently live in Wyvernwood think about the plan.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
I only know what I've read and I don't think that the Jordan Downs redevelopment has anywhere near the opposition that Wyvernwood has (which is not projects btw). They just discovered that the Jordan Downs property is contaminated, so I don't know what happens with that. Right now they say that they will clean it and go forward, but when maybe they reconsider due to cost.

The proposal for Wyvernwood is considerable more dense than Jordan Downs. It's NYC density. It's 4,400 units on 0.1 square miles. Given that this is a family neighborhood it's going to be at least 8,800 residents. That's over 80,000 people per square mile. And then it has 300,000 square feet of retail. And it doesn't have good transit connections (it's relatively far from the gold line) nor high capacity roads.

Jordan Downs' is less than half the number of units as Wyvernwood on twice as much land. So it's fairly normal LA density.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I only know what I've read and I don't think that the Jordan Downs redevelopment has anywhere near the opposition that Wyvernwood has (which is not projects btw). They just discovered that the Jordan Downs property is contaminated, so I don't know what happens with that. Right now they say that they will clean it and go forward, but when maybe they reconsider due to cost.

The proposal for Wyvernwood is considerable more dense than Jordan Downs. It's NYC density. It's 4,400 units on 0.1 square miles. Given that this is a family neighborhood it's going to be at least 8,800 residents. That's over 80,000 people per square mile. And then it has 300,000 square feet of retail. And it doesn't have good transit connections (it's relatively far from the gold line) nor high capacity roads.

Jordan Downs' is less than half the number of units as Wyvernwood on twice as much land. So it's fairly normal LA density.
Oh yeah I guess it's not, it's privately owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning