Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do natural features like mountains and beaches make a city better?
Yes 110 79.14%
No 13 9.35%
Could care less and go either way. 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,835,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pittsburgh, the city, used to have twice as many people as it does now. In 1970, just before the collapse of the steel industry, the MSA had 2.7 million people. Currently, it has 2.3 mil. Denver, OTOH, is a growing city whose MSA had 1.1 million people in 1970; 2.5 mil now. Its cultural "scene" is catching up to its size, Pittsburgh's cultural infrastructure was already in place when it was a larger city than Denver is now.

Most people on the Pittsburgh forum complain about the food, and though it's been a long time since I've lived there, I still visit frequently and certainly find it no great shakes.
Yeah, there's no doubt that Denver will increase its cultural offerings through the decades, but it takes time (for every place). Pittsburgh has a lot of history, so it's no grind on Denver.

In terms of Pittsburgh's food, I believe I've heard others say the food scene has improved a lot over the past few years. While walking around, I had no problem running into places that had great offerings for pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times
Quote:
Most people on the Pittsburgh forum complain about the food, and though it's been a long time since I've lived there, I still visit frequently and certainly find it no great shakes.
French fries on salad does take some getting used to.

I love real deal Mexican food, so Denver pleased me.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,398,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, there's no doubt that Denver will increase its cultural offerings through the decades, but it takes time (for every place). Pittsburgh has a lot of history, so it's no grind on Denver.

In terms of Pittsburgh's food, I believe I've heard others say the food scene has improved a lot over the past few years. While walking around, I had no problem running into places that had great offerings for pretty cheap.
Cities with lots of culture can usually be gauged better by their populations decades ago, assuming they aren't in true economic mire. Culture is built up over decades and centuries. That is why Denver can't compete in that regard to a much smaller New Orleans.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
^^But Denver does have culture! Several have mentioned the art museum; there are also numerous other museums, and unlike a lot of hide-bound eastern cities, we pay a metro-wide tax to support our cultural facilities. In fact, according to one article I read while researching this issue previously for CD, Denver's program was the model for Pittsburgh's! (H*** will freeze a 6 foot crust before I can find that article again, of course!) :: Welcome to SCFD: Making It Possible ::

I don't follow bands; Hands thinks most of the up and coming bands from Colorado originate in Boulder. He knows more about it than me. Boulder is a part of the metro area.

The Denver Public Library has some rare western history collection.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Cities with lots of culture can usually be gauged better by their populations decades ago, assuming they aren't in true economic mire. Culture is built up over decades and centuries. That is why Denver can't compete in that regard to a much smaller New Orleans.
There aren't many places that can compete with N.O., and certainly not N.O. of ancient times, when its blending of cultures made it unique for the US.

I'm like a lot of traditional and new music that comes out of N.O.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
^^But Denver does have culture! Several have mentioned the art museum; there are also numerous other museums, and unlike a lot of hide-bound eastern cities, we pay a metro-wide tax to support our cultural facilities. In fact, according to one article I read while researching this issue previously for CD, Denver's program was the model for Pittsburgh's! (H*** will freeze a 6 foot crust before I can find that article again, of course!) :: Welcome to SCFD: Making It Possible ::

I don't follow bands; Hands thinks most of the up and coming bands from Colorado originate in Boulder. He knows more about it than me. Boulder is a part of the metro area.

The Denver Public Library has some rare western history collection.
No one said Denver doesn't have culture. Everyplace has culture, some places just have stronger cultural institutions and amenities due to their history. There are many other factors IME, like specific university programs pulling lots of art students in from all over the world/country, cost of living, the economy (and types of jobs), etc.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Very true; I like that line.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No one said Denver doesn't have culture. Everyplace has culture, some places just have stronger cultural institutions and amenities due to their history. There are many other factors IME, like specific university programs pulling lots of art students in from all over the world/country, cost of living, the economy (and types of jobs), etc.
No, they said this:

Quote:
It's an overall trend. DT is relatively dull in Denver, lots of chain stores. There isn't a sophisticated city culture there that sometimes develops in cities such as Denver's size. There is not a burgeoning art/music scene there, or any other creative scene really. People are not into the same things as one might find in say, Boston or Chicago.. A lot of it is due to so many people moving there and Colorado in general for outdoor activities.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
No, they said this:
Ok, but why do you interpret that as "no culture"? My impression was that he was saying comparatively Denver doesn't have a seemingly burgeoning creative/art scene, which I agree with. It certainly has culture, museums and art.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, but why do you interpret that as "no culture"? My impression was that he was saying comparatively Denver doesn't have a seemingly burgeoning creative/art scene, which I agree with. It certainly has culture, museums and art.
He said "there isn't any other creative scene, really". How does he know? How much time has he spent here? Enquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning