Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times

Advertisements

Especially now that the climate seems to have become more extreme --- maybe the days of living on barrier islands are over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
There will always be someone who wants to build on them, amazingly. I dont think desire to build on them will change but insurance will continue to be more and more expensive for waterfront property.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,591 times
I'm all for letting people build on such locations, so long as they carry the burden of the risk involved. Is it a good idea to build there? I don't think it is, but someone might place a different value on the location and be willing to accept the price they pay.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
I'm with darkeconomist. The only gray area that inevitably comes into the picture are emergency services that are required when people don't evacuate when instructed to do so. Then expensive and dangerous rescues are required in the midst of horrendous situations.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm with darkeconomist. The only gray area that inevitably comes into the picture are emergency services that are required when people don't evacuate when instructed to do so. Then expensive and dangerous rescues are required in the midst of horrendous situations.
Perhaps municipalities should require homeowner insurance which includes covering government search and rescue costs, just as it covers other unpredictable emergencies?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Perhaps municipalities should require homeowner insurance which includes covering government search and rescue costs, just as it covers other unpredictable emergencies?
Makes sense, but the insurance companies probably wouldn't do it because they could be open to litigation from rescuer injuries or deaths (including potential lawsuits). I like the concept though. Perhaps tax revenues need to be adjusted since it's typically the locality or state that conducts the search/rescue?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 PM

I just think it's ridiculous to build in some of the areas stricken by the recent storm.

Weather is becoming more extreme and sea level is rising --- I don't think they should rebuild some of these buildings at their current locations.

FEMA already took on a lot of debt after Katrina, and what shape will FEMA be in after Hurricane Sandy? It all becomes untenable at some point.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Accountability is obviously an issue and pure bailout without reprocussion is not always good

Maybe different structure in the rebuild

Just looking at Jersey and the shore the real estate is really pricey

A sampling of some towns hit hard

Spring Lake median house value 938K (and remeber that isnt all beachfront)
Avalon NJ median 973K
Stone Harbor NJ 973K
Ocean City NJ 609K
Harvey Cedars NJ 865K

now there are cheaper places but there is far too much money in real estate and tourism to not rebuild

Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

244 posts, read 390,316 times
No pity for anyone that wants to do so, But when your house gets washed away you need a $10k fine for littering when your house is washed up and down the coastline. and don't be on TV crying the blues... you knew the risk. and their is no man made global climate change...

Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
No pity for anyone that wants to do so, But when your house gets washed away you need a $10k fine for littering when your house is washed up and down the coastline. and don't be on TV crying the blues... you knew the risk. and their is no man made global climate change...
My understanding is that it's FEMA and I guess homeowner's insurance that is going to cover the bill for individual homes to be repaired or rebuilt. Actually, I'm not sure how it works when it is covered under flood insurance.

For the "frequently flooded" program that I mentioned above, FEMA pays for most of the cost of either demolishing or elevating a home, the homeowner pays 10 % . That's in Florida, I don't know if it differs by state.

Stories like the one I have linked to below, bother me. In this case, about 3.2 million of FEMA money is being used to provide elevation for 10 expensive homes and one office building in a chi-chi Florida neighborhood.

"In the peninsula-town of Sewall's Point, the median home value is about $750,000. One in every seven houses in the lushly landscaped community sits along the water.

So, naturally, the town took some heat this month when it announced it was getting $3.2 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to increase the elevation of 10 flood-prone homes and one flood-prone office building within its limits.

The $3.2 million grant is coming to the town through FEMA's Repetitive Flood Claims program and paid for with federal flood insurance premiums. " Aug 12 2012

Eve Samples: $3 million grant to elevate Sewall's Point structures overlooks big picture of rising sea levels : TCPalm

Last edited by ellemint; 10-31-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning