U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:47 AM

806 posts, read 393,624 times

Advertisements

I personally don't like shopping malls as I prefer the town centre concept with high streets and public spaces as you see in Europe. That being said, I have seen some really huge, mixed-use shopping malls on my travels especially around Southeast Asia. For those that have been to Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, or Singapore, you will know what I mean.

IconSiam in Bangkok, Thailand

This is actually a new mall that recently opened and it was still under construction when I visited the city last year. This is by the Chao Phraya river, so there will be some outdoor riverfront public space in the area. The whole complex will eventually have a hotel, a couple of residential towers, a heritage museum, and an exhibition hall to complement the shopping centre. There will also be a monorail between this and the nearest BTS station (skytrain).

Mall of Asia in Manila, Philippines

This shopping centre, built on reclaimed land by the bay, contains a convention centre, some museums, a Science centre, a sports/concert arena, outdoor amusement park, several office buildings, and several apartments. Architecturally, it's a bit ugly and uninspired. It's currently undergoing an expansion and when finished, it will have 765,000 sq meters of floor area (about twice the size of Mall of America).

Taman Anggrek in Jakarta, Indonesia

This shopping centre has 8 residential buildings built on top of it.

----------------------------------

I don't really like malls, although the above show examples of how malls can be mixed-use with office space and residential apartments to create a walkable neighbourhood. That being said, I would like to highlight a shopping centre development outside Southeast Asia, which I feel gets it right. Surprisingly, it's not in London, but close -- Liverpool.

Liverpool One in Liverpool, UK

This shopping centre was built on derelict land right beside the city centre. It's an open-air pedestrian mall with a roof garden.

If you look from above, you wouldn't know where the shopping centre begins or ends. It is very well-integrated into the urban fabric. Pedestrian access routes were created to complement the neighbouring streets.

Last edited by ilovelondon; 02-13-2019 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 PM

1,479 posts, read 503,316 times
Large enclosed spaces cost more to build and heat, and increase the probability of roof leaks, especially with flat roofs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning