Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,955,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The entire western US has sidewalks in the suburbs, that is, west of about Ohio.
The entire western US does not have suburban sidewalks and pedestrian/bike trails connecting suburbs to each other and to downtown and a Stapleton and a Belmar and a Lowry and a Bradburn with mixing of uses and green space and walkable retail. I have family in St Louis and it is no Denver. I have family in LA and even just got back from visiting there this summer and it is no Denver. I have been to Phoenix and to Tucson, and Denver is ahead of them in this type of suburban development. But sure some cities do a decent job like Minneapolis or Boulder or San Francisco. Nevertheless Denver is still further along than almost the rest of the US, and thus is a pioneer in the widespread adoption of this phenomenon. You can try to sell Denver short all you want for whatever reasons you have (which I would still like to know what they are) but the evidence is there and can even be seen from google maps satellite view.

There is a REASON you have had such difficulty convincing people, according to you, that Denver suburbs have sidewalks all over the place. The reason is that it is that rare as US cities go, thus making Denver a pioneer. Your own admissions demonstrate my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I think the problem with "TNDs" is they are an attempt to ape a neighborhood form which came about for reasons which were well-understood at the time, and perhaps not so well now. There's a cargo-cultish aspect about them, as if the developers and boosters thing that by re-creating the surface characteristics of the neighborhoods they like can create a neighborhood like them..
They can create a neighborhood that is walkable and that consumes less acreage per home like is typical in urban neighborhoods, thus reducing the sprawl characteristic. That ALL BY ITSELF is worth the hype, considering how suburbs have been built over the past 5 or 6 decades. Are not the problems of suburban sprawl well understood in today's time?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The problem is that it's cupcake urbanism, and needs to be for the economics of development.
I think too many people wrongly assume that it attempts to BE urbanism but falls short. That is the wrong view, and so cupcake urbanism misjudges the purpose. The purpose is to take ASPECTS of urban planning and apply them to the suburban landscape, not to recreate the urban landscape. Everywhere doesn't have to be the city center. The problem is that urbanites who rightly slam the sprawl model also want to slam the new urbanism model as well just because it isn't fully urban. Every place in our cities does not have to be urban. The PURPOSE/GOAL is to make the suburbs more walkable and to mitigate growth/sprawl problems with smart neighborhood planning. To the extent those 2 objectives gets accomplished, so what if the resulting neighborhoods fall short of copying the urban landscape? Why is that a big deal?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
The entire western US does not have suburban sidewalks and pedestrian/bike trails connecting suburbs to each other and to downtown and a Stapleton and a Belmar and a Lowry and a Bradburn with mixing of uses and green space and walkable retail. I have family in St Louis and it is no Denver. I have family in LA and even just got back from visiting there this summer and it is no Denver. I have been to Phoenix and to Tucson, and Denver is ahead of them in this type of suburban development. But sure some cities do a decent job like Minneapolis or Boulder or San Francisco. Nevertheless Denver is still further along than almost the rest of the US, and thus is a pioneer in the widespread adoption of this phenomenon. You can try to sell Denver short all you want for whatever reasons you have (which I would still like to know what they are) but the evidence is there and can even be seen from google maps satellite view.

There is a REASON you have had such difficulty convincing people, according to you, that Denver suburbs have sidewalks all over the place. The reason is that it is that rare as US cities go, thus making Denver a pioneer. Your own admissions demonstrate my point.
You are going to be very disappointed if/when you move out here. It's not mecca, like you seem to think it is. Not to mention, you are making this very personal, with your talk of my "admissions".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-27-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,663,379 times
Quote:
To the extent those 2 objectives gets accomplished, so what if the resulting neighborhoods fall short of copying the urban landscape? Why is that a big deal?
Style. Much urban planning seems concerned with style and projecting an image.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM

389 posts, read 467,467 times
Quote:

I haven't been all over the country, but I can speak for the suburbs in my state and around Chicago, most subdivisions have sidewalks, I never really thought twice about sidewalks and assumed there are everywhere.

When I was in Georgia, Ohio, New Jersey, they had sidewalks. Maybe I was just in the right places I don't know lol. I didn't know sidewalks weren't common if they aren't.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM

389 posts, read 467,467 times
Quote:
I think too many people wrongly assume that it attempts to BE urbanism but falls short. That is the wrong view, and so cupcake urbanism misjudges the purpose. The purpose is to take ASPECTS of urban planning and apply them to the suburban landscape, not to recreate the urban landscape. Everywhere doesn't have to be the city center. The problem is that urbanites who rightly slam the sprawl model also want to slam the new urbanism model as well just because it isn't fully urban. Every place in our cities does not have to be urban. The PURPOSE/GOAL is to make the suburbs more walkable and to mitigate growth/sprawl problems with smart neighborhood planning. To the extent those 2 objectives gets accomplished, so what if the resulting neighborhoods fall short of copying the urban landscape? Why is that a big deal?
I wish the people who planned things here were smarter. I know we are the car state but I still don't get why they thought to have everything so spread out.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post

When I was in Georgia, Ohio, New Jersey, they had sidewalks. Maybe I was just in the right places I don't know lol. I didn't know sidewalks weren't common if they aren't.
Never been in Georgia or Ohio but in New Jersey, some suburbs have sidewalks on residential streets some don't. I'd say most do. My parent's neighborhood didn't but the lots were big and the traffic light, I don't think think it needs sidewalks. Almost all busier streets and commercial streets have sidewalks in the Northeastern suburbs I'm familiar with.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Of no sidewalks, it looks like the more "suburban" neighborhoods of Northern Europe (Scandinavia & the Baltic Countries in particular) sometimes lack sidewalks

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Talli...,43.92,,0,5.28

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stock...304.37,,0,7.38

Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM

358 posts, read 448,199 times
From my observations, most suburban neighborhoods near Milwaukee do not have sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning