Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times

Advertisements

Which do u prefer and why?

Also with cities like Chicago NY San Fran Philly Boston etc why are there so many cars on the highways in these cities that have dense walkable nieghborshoods and excellent public transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 PM

363 posts, read 662,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Which do u prefer and why?

Also with cities like Chicago NY San Fran Philly Boston etc why are there so many cars on the highways in these cities that have dense walkable nieghborshoods and excellent public transportation?
Public transpiration because it is much cheaper than a car in my city.

Because most the people in cars are commuters from the suburbs or out skirts of the city. Also, they may be travelers from around the country taking in the sights and visiting family(which I regularly see everyday). Some in the city, that can afford it, use cars to frequently drive to places inaccessible by transit or because of they just want personal space.

Keep in mind that these cities have millions of people within their metros, so traffic will always be heavy........

Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM

240 posts, read 462,441 times
DEFINITELY public transit. I live in Chicago and have a car, but if I didn't have a 90 minute trip to work, I'd consider getting rid of it. Obviously it depends on the city, but Chicago is one of the best cities in the country for public transit.

Why so many cars? Habit and convenience. Especially if you grew up in the burbs and were always dependent on your car, it's hard to give up the knowledge that you can get directly from Point A to Point B.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM

342 posts, read 568,477 times
i would rather use public transit, but being a suburbanite, it is impossible. however the first thing i would do if i moved into boston proper would be to scrap my car and buy a charliecard. the reason for so many cars is because many suburbs do not have decent transit, and that older cities like boston, philly, DC, tend to have less land area and have huge metros, over 5Million. so they have hundreds of thousands of commuters coming into the city daily by car because of not having transit, prefering a car, and a huge metro.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM

562 posts, read 982,961 times
Car, but ONLY because I rely on it to get anywhere because public transportation here is negligible. If I lived somewhere larger and more dense and my commute wasn't too long I'd switch to public transportation.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,961,551 times
It depends where you live. I live in Phoenix and public transportation is out of the question for the vast majority of the population here. Everyone here depends heavily on their car. I would love to use public transportation like a real light rail/subway(our light rail sucks). If I lived in DC or Boston or San Francisco I would most definitely utilize public transportation. Cities like Phx however are built around the automobile(sprawl,not walkable,too hot half the year to wait at .bus stops,etc)so I choose my car

Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,543,476 times
I prefer a car. It's quicker. It takes me 25 minutes (including traffic) to get to work by car versus 2 hours by bus. If the times were closer, then I'd more than likely use transit.

I've thought about using the bus just for leisurely activities but ... the car is still a quicker option with less hassle. The sad part is that this region's transit has been bad even long before I was born.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,646,647 times
Certain areas of Chicago are better served by the CTA than others and the EL trains are laid out to get people in and out of downtown and not to get people around the city. Much movement within the city is most easily done by car.

I live on the North Side and like to smoke cigars in a shop at 31st and Wallace on the South Side. Now I can walk to the Ravenswood EL, take it down to the Loop, transfer to the Midway EL, take it to Halsted then jump on the Wallace bus down to 31st, figure up to two hours, maybe less but maybe more. Or I can drive down in 35-40 minutes. I drive.

Don't even get me started on how to get down to the East Side, Hyde Park or Mt. Greenwood.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,845 times
I live in Indianapolis where we have the worst public transportation of any comprable city in the country. I still prefer taking the bus. It's really only doable for people that live downtown, but it's great not having to deal with traffic, parking, or gas.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,628,994 times
Because in a world that adores bizarre, extremist radical religions, the USA has chosen cars to be their radical muslim. From infrastructure to self-perceived image /psychological and social issues Dr Phil or Operah couldnt figure out, cars are our religion and jihad on the planet. Watching the car kulture insidiously kill us is a slow-motion version of watcing a friend or relative slowly kill themselves on bath salts.
What are we thinking ?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning